So who is waiting for Santa Rosa?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Some reports floating about indicate that the X3000 might not be all that we hoped for. Personally I'm hoping that they are wrong but it does appear that the results are mixed here.

Where integrated graphics are dictated I'm beginning to think that Apple would be better off going with AMD or Nvidia for an integrated soltution. There is no doubt in my mind that the current integrated chip selection was dictated by the need to go to Intel quick. When you can get somebody like Intel to help with the conversion process, so that it comes off as smoothly as it did, you take the easy road. That is what the Mini and a MacBook represent in my mind the easy road to moving Apples platform over to Intel.

Now the question is how soon will the consider looking at 1; Integrated chip sets and 2; discrete video chips. It wouldn't surprise me to see Apple looking at other integrated solution at this very moment for low end machines. I don't see them ever going back to discrete video chips in the low end machines.

There are two problems with discrete chips. First the competition doesn't use them so Apple is at a disadvantage right off the mark. Second the capabilities of Integrated chips are increasing dramatically with each revision. At least this is happening with AMD and Nvidia.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

I'm waiting the GMA X3000 mobile part of Santa Rosa. Mostly for the Mini but maybe I'll get a macbook for my dad instead.

Vinea

• Reply 43 of 53
    If you're talking about that test that showed that the x3000 is about as good as the current integrated crap, it's because there are no windows drivers for the x3000 yet. Give it time. Don't expect it to play FEAR with max settings, but it is a DX10 card, so it will without a doubt be a lot better than the current integrated stuff.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    i use google mostly(through google toolbar) and love it but i find myself using yahoo at times because i find their search results better.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Not that this has ANYTHING to do with this thread. But I use yahoo / google in a 80 / 20 now. Yahoo's spiders are much quicker than googles. Yahoo lists pages much quicker than google. When i want to find something recent I can solely rely on yahoo. I used to be the biggest google nut in the world. But after seeing that our site gets about 50 times more hits from yahoo than google, my eyebrow began to raise. Mercury news and ads are listed every day to the correct page on yahoo. Google can sometimes be a month behind. Google has got so big that it takes forever. /end rant.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Even though the x3000 would be a bit better than what's out there.... I say drop this integrated crap or at least offer an alternative in a BTO.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    From The Inquirer: Intel dumbs down dual Santa Rosa cores with IDA

The article says (BS?):

- Crestline GM chipset

- T7100, T7300, T7500, T7700, U7500, U7600 Merom processors with IDA (Intel Dynamic Acceleration)

The Crestline GM chipset is said to have 800 MHz FSB, DX10 GMA 3000 or X3000 graphics, NAND-flash accelerating technology on the motherboard (called Robson) and wifi 802.11n (+ WiMAX perhaps).

The IDA (Intel Dynamic Acceleration) would be some technology making data processing faster by better using multiple cores, even if the application is single-threaded. Apps would use an "extended serial code" to do the trick.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    What has been The Inquirer's track record with these reports?
  • Reply 49 of 53
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    HKEPC confirms this IDA story: Intel introduces Dynamic Acceleration in Socket P Merom

but from another point of view: IDA accelerates data processing by overclocking one core while downlocking the other one, leaving the global TDP unchanged. It would speed up single-thread apps.

w/o IDA first ; then with IDA
  • Reply 51 of 53
    I'm only waiting because of the graphics card. The addition of the Atheros wifi card makes the new lappys SWEET for wireless pentesting. Damnit.. I just want a faster graphics card for my rare, but important, UT2k4/7 needs.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    hello... Apple Muppets, earth calling.

Centrino Pro is a business platform: Active Management Technology, Virtualisation Technology and Trusted Execution Technology.

Nothing for you to see here. Not exactly useful for running a copy of photoshop.

This topic just sums up how deluded and misinformed your community really is.

• Reply 53 of 53
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonnySpeed View Post

hello... Apple Muppets, earth calling.

Centrino Pro is a business platform: Active Management Technology, Virtualisation Technology and Trusted Execution Technology.

Nothing for you to see here. Not exactly useful for running a copy of photoshop.

This topic just sums up how deluded and misinformed your community really is.

Shit, all I do is run PS all day long!.....