So, it turns out, C2D MBP's AREN'T unbeatable.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I tried running Splinter Cell: Double Agent just now and my computer managed a pathetic sub-5 FPS. Hahaha.

Now I guess I have to purchase an XBox 360. Damnit.

Interestingly, it absolutely awed me with it's performance on the previous Splinter Cell game, released only about a year before. Ran at 1440x900 with all options on full at close to 60fps.

Amazing the improvements in graphics technology in such a short amount of time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The system requirements are that high?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Seems so.

It was pretty absurd. Those lowest graphics settings I mentioned? Appeared sub-PS2 in appearance.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    There's something wrong. Your computer is a supported configuration, the game ought to be playable. Might be something lacking in Apple's video drivers?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    No, as a matter of fact, the X1600 mobile isn't supported. Only the regular version is - It indicates the mobile card "may work," but that's all.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    That game actually has a RIDICULOUS amount of system requirements because of a certain kind of video thing it does. A lot of PC's can't run it. At least that's what I understood at my other forum I read.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    That's pretty absurd.

I guess I'll plead ignorance and salesperson incompetence and try taking it back.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Well, games are one thing that Apple seems to not want to support. I mean, c'mon, an X1600 on a notebook costing in excess of $2,500! It's the lowest on the mid-range category.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Well, X1600's aren't awful, but they aren't for gaming.

It works beautifully for every other game I've tried. DA is evidently just HIGHLY demanding.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think it's more an issue of lazy developers using a frankenstein of a game engine.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    It's still a rather impressive looking game.. well, screenshotted, of course.

I really do want to try it out. Pity.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

Well, X1600's aren't awful, but they aren't for gaming.

Wrong. Says me who played HL2 at max on an X1600 and loved it.

They aren't for all gaming but they are fine for the vast majority of gaming.

If you want high end gaming then the consoles will always be better value by about an order of magnitude.

Even so, Double Agent should've played acceptably on a MBP. I suspect one big problem is that it only supports shader model 3. Did you try setting the simpleshader to true in splintercell4.ini? For some people that seems to give better performance.

It's pretty ridiculous though. It seems even a radeon x850XT is only shader model 2 compatible. That's freakin' ridiculous if you can't play Double Agent with that card. I would actually take the game back out of spite even if you did get it working reasonably. I'm all for pushing the boundary for the better because Apple do it a lot but there is a limit and Ubisoft went a bit too far with this one.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    That sucks. But my friend got Double Agent and said there wasn't a lot new in it anyway. But still, I want to try it out.

I got Gears of War, and its the best freacking game ever! It is amazing, on my 360
  • Reply 13 of 16
    /shrug.

It's really less about "What's new" and, much like with all sequels of great games, just an interest to experience new challenges in that style. Simply put, I want more Splinter Cell. Way more.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I'm curious who has gamed on an imac? I'm looking at getting the 24 incher. I think the basic card is more than enough on that one.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta

I'm curious who has gamed on an imac? I'm looking at getting the 24 incher. I think the basic card is more than enough on that one.

I have a 24 inch iMac with the 7600 video card and 2 gig of RAM. I have three Mac games (Doom 3, Quake 4 & CoD2) and one Windows game I run under Boot Camp/XP (HL2).

The computer seems a capable gaming platform, albeit a rather expensive one. I run all the games at 1920x1200 and medium or high detail and they run around 60 fps +. I notice the odd artifact but game play is smooth and continuous.

I would recommend it. I do not know how the performance varies with the standard, 7300, video card.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I just took the game back today. Best Buy took it back, even though it was a game, since their security tag was covering the fine print on the graphics card requirements. :-D