iTunes from one iMac to another

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an older iMac, about 2 years old (pre built in iSight) that I bought and gave to my sister. I use it when I need to (she lives down the street).

I have put on about 50-60 Gigs of music over that period of time.

I am getting a newer iMac in the next couple of weeks and would like to transfer "most" if not all of my iTunes library from the old one to the new one. I will then give this computer to my sister for good.

How can I transfer the iTunes library?

I read something once that described USBing the two together during the initial set up of the new one and tranfering names and setting and etc.... I'd prefer not to do that because when I bought the old one it was with the mind set that my sister would get in within 6 months, so I (we) set it up as her computer and I just use it for the iTunes, internet etc.

So, my question is how can I transfer those songs on iTunes to the other computer.

Thanks,

McKinney

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trouble

I read something once that described USBing the two together during the initial set up of the new one and tranfering names and setting and etc.... I'd prefer not to do that because when I bought the old one it was with the mind set that my sister would get in within 6 months, so I (we) set it up as her computer and I just use it for the iTunes, internet etc.

So, my question is how can I transfer those songs on iTunes to the other computer.

Thanks,

McKinney

Do you have an external hard disk? If so, you can copy your iTunes library to the external drive using the Finder. You can then drag and drop the entire collection onto iTunes on the other computer so that it builds its library. You will need to authorize the new computer (Apple allows you to have your music on 5 computers) by using your iTunes store ID and password. The authorization request will pop-up when you try to play protected content on the new computer.

There is no simple way to transfer 60GB of data unless you have a external hard disk or a direct connection between the two computers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I will have a direct connection between the two computers and most of this music is not from iTunes music store, it's from cds.

Will I be able to USB connect the two and transfer "drag and drop" style in the file manager?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Use Firewire disk mode if the computers are next to one another. Plug in the firewire cable, then reboot one of them holding down the T button. That mac will then act as an external hard drive. It's drag and drop from there.

You could actually drag and drop right into the iTunes window and it'll all get immediately sorted and catalogued, too.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't think using itunes for the copy is necessary at all. I can understand if you want to import one collection into another but when I transferred my itunes stuff, I just wanted my old collection as I hadn't used my new machine and all I did was drop the itunes folder into place using the Finder and when I opened itunes, everything was there, no import needed.

So all you need to do is connect your old machine via firewire (USB doesn't work like that) by booting and holding t as mentioned. Then copy the itunes folder into place on your new machine. Open itunes and there you go. If you had a newer version of itunes on your old machine then it will say the library can't be opened but all you'd do is update itunes.