So, Will the new Powerbooks boot off OS 9??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I think steve said 'no' pretty clearly.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Did you mean that as:

"Will the new Powerbooks Start up from OS9"?

Or:

"Will the new Powerbooks Give OS9 the boot"?

I think we should have a discussion about the latter.

This could be the thing that will finally nudge some of the last few "stragglers" into OSX. ...We all know which one I'm talking about.

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: Wotan ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 34
    OS 9 loads only in classic mode. You will not be able to boot.... (are made for walking) from OS 9.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    From <a href="http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10421"; target="_blank">O'Grady's Powerpage</a>:

"...After talking to four different Apple staff / officials, they all said that the new powerbooks will NOT be able to boot into OS 9 whether it be from internal drive, external drive (firewire/usb), or CD-ROM. This has got to do with the boot firmware being "slimmed down" and optimized for OSX performance (e.g. booting?)."

Well, I guess that's that for OS9...unless some enterprising whiz-kid can cook up a motherboard mod or something to run 9, just like those PS One mods people got to run pirated games.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    &lt;--- not sure when they ship

Does anyone have one yet and would try?

(What about booting off a cd instead of the HD?)
  • Reply 6 of 34
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Good riddance OS9!

Hate to see you go.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    What if you have separate partition for 9?

- T.I.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]What if you have separate partition for 9?<hr></blockquote>What part of the above quote didn't you understand? Is there something about new machines NOT booting from OS9 that diminishes reading comprehension? [quote]"...After talking to four different Apple staff / officials, they all said that the new powerbooks will NOT be able to boot into OS 9 whether it be from internal drive, external drive (firewire/usb), or CD-ROM. This has got to do with the boot firmware being "slimmed down" and optimized for OSX performance (e.g. booting?)."<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 9 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>What part of the above quote didn't you understand? Is there something about new machines NOT booting from OS9 that diminishes reading comprehension?</strong><hr></blockquote>And what kind of a prat are you?

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 34
    This thread is getting rediculous!!!

I am a certified Apple Technician for an ASP in Tulsa. I have already been trained in the new PB technology.

THE NEW POWERBOOKS WILL NOT BOOT OFF OF ANY VOLUME OTHER THAN ONE THAT IS RUNNING OS X 10.2 JAGUAR. YOU CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT BOOT TO OS 9 IN ANY SHAPE, MATTER, OR FORM...bye bye OS 9.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Thank you, SuperMacTech. That answers my question.

- T.I.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Good thing to know... what do you guys think about QuakXpress performance on a 17"... SuperMacTech?...

Personally, I hate Quark, but unfortunately I've had to use it once in a while, and it always runs better when you boot from OS 9. I think that's because It's too dependant on the OS to run.

Note to SuperMacTech: uuhhh... who are you trying to impress with that name? I mean you don't 'say' what you are: you prove it!.. and that could hardly happen after only 3 or 4 posts...

I mean: "I am a certified Apple Technician for an ASP in Tulsa. I have already been trained in the new PB technology." come on...

I guess you probably feel like one of those kids who got held back in elementary school...

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: RANSOMED ]

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: RANSOMED ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by SuperMacTech:

<strong>This thread is getting rediculous!!!

...YOU CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT BOOT TO OS 9 IN ANY SHAPE, MATTER, OR FORM...bye bye OS 9.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks.

I run OS 9 most of the time because only 4 of the 28 programs I absolutely need will run in Classic under OS X.

And I was looking forward to buying a 17" PB too.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 34
    I was told off the record by an Apple tech rep that it WOULD be possible to install Mac OS 9 on the new systems, HOWEVER it would require hacking in open firmware and hacking the mac os 9 nvidia drivers in resedit
  • Reply 15 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I would think that when the Linux geeks get YaBoot working on it they could fool it into booting OS 9?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>

I run OS 9 most of the time because only 4 of the 28 programs I absolutely need will run in Classic under OS X.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps it's time for a software update?...
  • Reply 17 of 34

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn -- only a very small handful of programs I used in OS 9 won't run in X. How did you manage to find 24 that you absolutely need?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>Thank you, SuperMacTech. That answers my question.

- T.I.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The first guy answered your question. And so did Steve in the Keynote. You just don't want to face the reality that OS 9 is HISTORY. Accept it and get over it. If you need to boot into OS 9, buy the GHZ SuperDisk 15" TiBook for the new low price $2800 and be happy.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member

<strong>

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Poppycock.

I think you are mistaken. Please post those 24 titles that you think are not available in OS X and we will tell you where to get them for OS X and from whom for how much money.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Note to SuperMacTech: uuhhh... who are you trying to impress with that name? I mean you don't 'say' what you are: you prove it!.. and that could hardly happen after only 3 or 4 posts...

I mean: "I am a certified Apple Technician for an ASP in Tulsa. I have already been trained in the new PB technology." come on...

I guess you probably feel like one of those kids who got held back in elementary school...

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: RANSOMED ]

Ransomed, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Anyway, I like to list my credentials when I post something SERVICE related on these forums. I know anybody can say whatever they want and nobody can prove it one way or the other. Who cares, I don't. I don't know why you do. If you don't want my help, then don't read my posts. And grow up.