World of Warcraft and Gaming in general

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So far my new Mac experience is going swimmingly, but I do have some questions for you gamers out there.

For gaming in general, is there a way to "alt-tab" (apple/cmd-tab) out of a game? I only have World of Warcraft on my system at the moment, but losing the ability to switch out of it would be HUGE. I really hope it isn't the case that I cannot do that. I like to tab out and check maps, item drops, quest objectives, etc. online while I play. While losing that would be bad, even worse is the queues. I am on a fairly populous server, so at peak times there are sometimes 300 people in line in front of me and I need to wait over 15min to get on. If I have to sit and stare at that screen while I see the number slooowly count down...

Please please please tell me there is a way to do this.

Also in WoW, when I right-click and drag to look around, my other keys don't do anything until I stop (for example, I cannot run forward by pressing the W key). Is this because it is technically a ctrl-click and there is a limit to the number of keys down? This is less of an issue, but it still limits my manuverability and makes it feel kind of "clunky" at times. Anyone have a way around this as well?

oh, and if you have any advice on a few good games that are available for the mac, I'd dig that too

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

So far my new Mac experience is going swimmingly, but I do have some questions for you gamers out there.

For gaming in general, is there a way to "alt-tab" (apple/cmd-tab) out of a game? I only have World of Warcraft on my system at the moment, but losing the ability to switch out of it would be HUGE. I really hope it isn't the case that I cannot do that. I like to tab out and check maps, item drops, quest objectives, etc. online while I play. While losing that would be bad, even worse is the queues. I am on a fairly populous server, so at peak times there are sometimes 300 people in line in front of me and I need to wait over 15min to get on. If I have to sit and stare at that screen while I see the number slooowly count down...

Please please please tell me there is a way to do this.

Also in WoW, when I right-click and drag to look around, my other keys don't do anything until I stop (for example, I cannot run forward by pressing the W key). Is this because it is technically a ctrl-click and there is a limit to the number of keys down? This is less of an issue, but it still limits my manuverability and makes it feel kind of "clunky" at times. Anyone have a way around this as well?

oh, and if you have any advice on a few good games that are available for the mac, I'd dig that too

Thanks!

Hey -

All of Blizzard's previous games included a Command-M keystroke which toggles the game in and out of "windowed" mode. I haven't tried it in WoW, as I don't have the game, but I seem to remember using Command-M when I participated in the public beta. It's worth a try, anyway, and would give you the functionality you need to look at a browser window or whatever. Try both Command-M and Control-M. I believe it's command, however.

Good luck! Can't help on your other questions.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickgb3

Hey -

All of Blizzard's previous games included a Command-M keystroke which toggles the game in and out of "windowed" mode. I haven't tried it in WoW, as I don't have the game, but I seem to remember using Command-M when I participated in the public beta. It's worth a try, anyway, and would give you the functionality you need to look at a browser window or whatever. Try both Command-M and Control-M. I believe it's command, however.

Good luck! Can't help on your other questions.

That would be great. I'll try it out when I get home (posting fom university comp lab)

now I just need to work out those other issues
  • Reply 3 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Second issue would be solved by buying a multi-button mouse.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Second issue would be solved by buying a multi-button mouse.

I have one. A Logitech mouse with a whole slew of buttons. Even if you have a multi-button mouse, isn't right-click still technically a ctrl-click?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I have one. A Logitech mouse with a whole slew of buttons. Even if you have a multi-button mouse, isn't right-click still technically a ctrl-click?

I have a logitech mouse too, and WoW runs just the same with this mouse. I can look around and run around using the wasd keys like I did on my PC, etc...

I guess I'm not clearly understanding the problem :/
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

I have a logitech mouse too, and WoW runs just the same with this mouse. I can look around and run around using the wasd keys like I did on my PC, etc...

I guess I'm not clearly understanding the problem :/

The problem isn't being able to look around, it is that when I have the right mouse button pressed and am dragging the mouse to turn my character, if I press W at the same time to run forward, or any other key, nothing happens. If I start running, then right-click and drag to steer, that woks, but as soon as I do that, no other keys work.

So you can right-click and drag and still be able to press a key and move around?

Maybe this is a keyboard issue. I use the Logitech KB that comes as a set with the mouse. When I DL'ed the mouse control, the KB is not recognized and not configurable.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

The problem isn't being able to look around, it is that when I have the right mouse button pressed and am dragging the mouse to turn my character, if I press W at the same time to run forward, or any other key, nothing happens. If I start running, then right-click and drag to steer, that woks, but as soon as I do that, no other keys work.

So you can right-click and drag and still be able to press a key and move around?

Maybe this is a keyboard issue. I use the Logitech KB that comes as a set with the mouse. When I DL'ed the mouse control, the KB is not recognized and not configurable.

Yep, no problemos here. I can right click and run, or run and right click... just tried ;D
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

Yep, no problemos here. I can right click and run, or run and right click... just tried ;D

friggin' logitech not supporting all their products on Mac

what keyboard mouse combo do you use?

Quick edit: I just tried something out: I can use the number keys, but not the WASD keys. Odd.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    YAY!!!! I fixed it!

I changed the mouse config for the right button from "ctrl-click" to "mouse button 2"

Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

YAY!!!! I fixed it!

I changed the mouse config for the right button from "ctrl-click" to "mouse button 2"

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, that might help too.

BTW, I'm on a MacBook Pro, so I just use the mouse. I love this keyboard so no need to replace it