Zune incompatible with Windows Vista

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I tried installing the Zune software on windows XP SP2 running under parallels today. here is the error massage i get:

"Zune? software is unable to detect your operating system."

which can be found here:

http://www.zune.net/en-US/meetzune/s...etected_OS.htm

anyone have a direct link?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 199
    A direct link to what?

Incidentally, this seems odd. (From link above.)

Quote:

Windows Vista

Windows Vista is not supported at this time. Check back soon for updates.

• Reply 2 of 199
    a direct link to the xp download. sorry for not being clear =)
  • Reply 3 of 199
    here, i took a screenshot off the website:

• Reply 4 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvolker

a direct link to the xp download. sorry for not being clear =)

IS there a download? Their support site gives these instructions.

Quote:

To install Zune software on your PC:

1. Put the Zune CD in your PC's CD-ROM drive. Zune software will start automatically.

• Reply 5 of 199
    Problem Solved! You can't use firefox! I tried again in IE and it worked fine! to many exclamation points!

gotta love microsoft, an unsupported browser becomes "can't detect OS"

yes, there is a download if you just want to try the software, link:

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm
  • Reply 6 of 199
    lol, here is another microsoft move, you can't even use the software if you don't have a Zune. way to shut out even more customers.
  • Reply 7 of 199
    You're right. I just tried the same thing here with Firefox. Well, I'm sure that will work out well for Microsoft.
  • Reply 8 of 199
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apparently, Microsoft has been so focused on getting Zune out the door in time for the mad holiday rush that it hasn't gotten around to supporting the player under its next-generation operating system.

Though seemingly implausible, the screenshot below tells the story (while raising some questions at the same time).

"This operating system is currently not supported by Zune," reads an error message when trying to install Zune software on the latest versions of Microsoft's own Windows Vista operating system.

In an official Zune support document, Microsoft, which will begin selling Vista to business customers in two weeks, confirms that the system "is not supported at this time."

And for those wondering, the splash screen of three women in distress isn't our contributor's stab at a knee-slapper. It's the official installer backdrop chosen by the Redmond, Wash. folks to appear for each and every customer who installs a Zune.

"We really have the foundation here to ship more and more opportunity to enjoy entertainment experiences,'' Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer explained in an interview with Bloomberg earlier in the day.

In a Q&A session with BusinessWeek last month, Ballmer offered similar sentiments on the wireless capabilities of his company's new digital media player.

"I want to squirt you a picture of my kids. You want to squirt me back a video of your vacation. That's [an] experience," he said.

Image credit: ZuneThoughts.com

Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer | Photo Credits: AP
  • Reply 9 of 199
    Cool. I pointed this out here.
  • Reply 10 of 199
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Anyone notice how the picture is named "ms-zune-stupidity"?
  • Reply 11 of 199
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

And for those wondering, the splash screen of three oriental chicks in distress isn't our contributor's stab at a knee-slapper.

People are Asian inanimate objects are oriental.
  • Reply 12 of 199
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Is it me or does Ballmer look like the former Tyco executive who now is spending his days in the pokey? Separated at birth maybe?
  • Reply 13 of 199
    This is the funniest thing I've seen all day! Thanks AI
  • Reply 14 of 199
    "the splash screen of three oriental chicks"

first, it's Asian, not oriental.

second, ANYTHING BUT chicks (ladies, women, girls, etc.)

third, I think only one is Asian

fourth, I think two of the three are female.
  • Reply 15 of 199
    What the hell? I have never heard the slang "I'm going to quirt you a picture of my (kids, vacation, etc).

WTF?^^
  • Reply 16 of 199
    That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

My take on Zune: http://www.uccs.edu/~cbrewer/gigo_fi...3908d9-10.html
  • Reply 17 of 199
    DEVELOPERS! <squirt /> DEVELOPERS <squirt /> DEVELOPERS! <squirt /> DEVELOPERS <squirt /> DEVELOPERS! <squirt /> DEVELOPERS <squirt /> DEVELOPERS! <squirt /> DEVELOPERS <squirt /> DEVELOPERS! <squirt /> DEVELOPERS <squirt />
  • Reply 18 of 199
    I'm pretty sure those are three girls in the pic. The one on the bottom has long brown hair. Does it strike anyone else that two of them seem to be making out?
  • Reply 19 of 199
    "I want to squirt you a picture of my kids"????

Sounds like Steve Ballmer is either a phedifile or he's pimp'in out his family
  • Reply 20 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msc1974

"I want to squirt you a picture of my kids"????

Sounds like Steve Ballmer is either a phedifile or he's pimp'in out his family

My thoughts exactly. Did you SEE my WTF?^^