Official Post Zune Release Thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In light of the joke known as "Zune" being released tomorrow, i figured we need a thread to acknowledge, comment, or criticize it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Looking at http://www.zune.net is pathetic. It would help if some of the kids pictured were actually holding the device and "squirting" each other. Oh wait a minute, these are stock photos, of course they wouldn't be playing with Zunes.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Looking at http://www.zune.net is pathetic. It would help if some of the kids pictured were actually holding the device and "squirting" each other. Oh wait a minute, these are stock photos, of course they wouldn't be playing with Zunes.

I'm puzzled by the photos titled "Up Close: Zune". The photos showing the Zune all seem to be taken from, um....so far away. \
  • Reply 4 of 27

Not that I was really LOOKING for closeups, just commenting on what the Zune site considers closeups.

THESE are closeups!

• Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

From articles like this, I think parents are shocked enough with the installation screens. "Pain, singing or orgasm?"
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I just went to best buy to look at a Zune on display and was not impressed in the least. The interface is complicated and cluttered, the buttons are much more difficult than on the ipod and the round click wheel looking thing on the front is shiny and doesnt look good with the rest of the Zune. The Zune is also very bulky, thick and heavy. The feel of Zune is kind of a chalky one and i really didnt like how the surface felt. The screen size is nice, but the video quality is not very good

all in all i was not impressed at all. The 5G ipod is better than the zune and when apple releases a new ipod, zune will be crushed.

I asked the worker at best buy how many they have sold today and he said "2 zune and 13 ipods"

so much for the first day of business

BTW... Apple stock jumped up to $85 today while microsoft stock went down
  • Reply 7 of 27
    hello from seattle.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Todays CNN introduction of Zune by Sorkin of NYT was a disaster for Microsoft. CNN anchors were not impressed and instead show personally owned 2nd gen Shuffle. Anchor asks why Microsoft doesn't hire good designers, ouch!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Not that I was really LOOKING for closeups, just commenting on what the Zune site considers closeups.

THESE are closeups!

The close up I was referring to was a sloe look at how cumbersome installing its software is. I think the reala clinker is the music purchasing system: $5 minimum purchase of points (79=one song). So if you buy five songs, MS still gets your 5 cents, until you buy 99 songs; at that point you will have another 99 cents to spend. This is a banking strategy rather than a merchandising one.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I was going to Wal*Mart for groceries, and I figured I'd check out the Zune while I was there. I will freely admit that I would not buy a Zune or an iPod at Wal*Mart, but, well, I was there, and so was the Zune.

The first thing I noticed is that Wal*Mart is really trying to help Zune. It was conspicuously placed near the outer edge of the electronics section, with a giant lit "Zune" sign I could see for a significant distance outside the electronics section.

The display showcased one Zune of each color, with ample space around them. It was sort of like the Zunes were rings in a jewelry store. So I could see the rather odd brown and green colour combination. The colors were, well, interesting. I don't know if I'd want to wear them, but they were interesting.

To my eyes, even the non-Apple MP3 players looked less ugly than the Zune.

I think they were trying to minimize possible comparison with the iPod. Other non-Apple players were to the left of the display case dedicated to the Zune. To the left of that was the end cap, buried at the least conspicuous location in the department. The iPods were there, squeezed tightly against each other so you really didn't get a very good sense for how they looked. The only full-sized iPod on display was crammed into a set of speakers.

The conclusions any reasonable shopper would make from seeing the two displays was obvious. Despite the poor merchandising of the iPod display, it was obvious from a glance that Apple's player is beautifully made, of quality materals. The Zune is cheap and ugly plastic. The Zune looks about twice the size and weight of the iPod.

I didn't see anyone particularly interested in either player while I was there, but I have to admit there is another, clear as crystal lesson from my trip: Never, but never, buy consumer electronics at Wal*Mart. You wouldn't have saved even one penny over Best Buy, and for anything more consequential than grocery shopping(*), Wal*Mart service and merchandising are dismal.

I was surprised at how awful the Zune looked considering the hype. Admittedly, I didn't ask to try out the device, since it turned me off instantly. If Microsoft is serious about selling millions of units, I think there are going to be some bitterly disappointed people in Redmond this holiday season.

I don't think Wal*Mart likes Apple. At all. Probably because they can't bully Apple into lowering their prices. If you shop for electronics at Wal*Mart, well, it looks like you get about what you deserve.

D

(*) Well, actually grocery shopping is pretty consequential, but there are, believe it or not, no grocery markets in my area better than Wal*Mart. And this even though my checker was a trogledyte who was barely capable of grunting. The shame :-(.
  • Reply 11 of 27
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/11631/

the dissing, in video :O

Well the Zunes look decent. Microsoft stole the whole "gloss" and "reflection" look from Apple. But I've got to say, Zune looks like a very lame duck. The site is so minimal and has barely anything on it! Just a bunch of picture of teens reminiscent of the OC. Let's get real. The college students market for MP3 players is much bigger, and teens try to imitate college students as much as possible. So Apple did a really great job when they first targeted the college/young adult age group without making to "teen-y".

And oh, btw, that is one pathetic ass "Close up" photo gallery of the iPod. In some of the pictures, the Zunes are barely visible.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Yeah, I agree with that.

The advertising department went way too much "OC~ teehee"

Which personally, as a college student, wouldn't lure me to buy anything. Seeing I don't really "click" with *that* crowd.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    I too saw the Zune and am resisting the urge to be embarrassed for Microsoft. It puzzles me that they would come up with that product as the "answer" to the iPod.

This raises some interesting questions:

1) Is Microsoft somehow so out of touch that this item really represents its best efforts?

2) If so, does it likewise reflect Bill Gates' lack of judgment or is he, too, secretly disappointed with the results? If so, he doesn't seem to invigorate his organization with a demanding chutzpah in the same way that Steve Jobs does where a single personna drives the entire project from concept to retail.

3) If not, is it possible that the Zune is a carefully crafted product, meant to be far from an "iPod Killer" - yet meant to appeal to a very specific base that can ultimately be expected to purchase the product.

4) If so, it does seem to reflect a pattern that Microsoft has emulated often enough: overtly "borrow" some idea or artifact identified with Apple and parlay it through rough approximation into a product chosen by the vast majority of people (Ex: the Zune's appearance of a wheel that is actually anything but but looks very much like Apple's click wheel).

5) If so, is it possible that Bill Gates may eventually retire one day with the realization that, despite his billions, he never managed to really ever "get it right" in the sense that he and Steve understand were they to personally meet and have a look of understanding pass between them.

6) Bill Gates, fabulous businessman that he is, commands the respect of those who tend to the bottom line, but does he really command the respect of his peers in the business when he allows Dave Cutler's vision to burgeon into bloatware or allows the likes of Steve Balmer to be visible atthe helm of Microsoft?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I'm betting the "PC guy" becomes the "Zune guy" in the next commercials .
  • Reply 16 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2

I too saw the Zune and am resisting the urge to be embarrassed for Microsoft. It puzzles me that they would come up with that product as the "answer" to the iPod.

This raises some interesting questions:

1) Is Microsoft somehow so out of touch that this item really represents its best efforts?

2) If so, does it likewise reflect Bill Gates' lack of judgment or is he, too, secretly disappointed with the results? If so, he doesn't seem to invigorate his organization with a demanding chutzpah in the same way that Steve Jobs does where a single personna drives the entire project from concept to retail.

3) If not, is it possible that the Zune is a carefully crafted product, meant to be far from an "iPod Killer" - yet meant to appeal to a very specific base that can ultimately be expected to purchase the product.

4) If so, it does seem to reflect a pattern that Microsoft has emulated often enough: overtly "borrow" some idea or artifact identified with Apple and parlay it through rough approximation into a product chosen by the vast majority of people (Ex: the Zune's appearance of a wheel that is actually anything but but looks very much like Apple's click wheel).

5) If so, is it possible that Bill Gates may eventually retire one day with the realization that, despite his billions, he never managed to really ever "get it right" in the sense that he and Steve understand were they to personally meet and have a look of understanding pass between them.

6) Bill Gates, fabulous businessman that he is, commands the respect of those who tend to the bottom line, but does he really command the respect of his peers in the business when he allows Dave Cutler's vision to burgeon into bloatware or allows the likes of Steve Balmer to be visible atthe helm of Microsoft?

Why are you surprised? As many have pointed out before, MS's first effort is often far from perfect. They grind away until version 3 or 4 is a contender. Also while the Zune has gotten no love here, some more objective reviewers have found things that they like about Zune. See Ars link below.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/zune.ars

I like iPod,Apple and loathe MS, but Zune could turn out to be a viable alternative for many users in the next iteration. It appears there actually are things for MS to build upon with this version.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Also while the Zune has gotten no love here, some more objective reviewers have found things that they like about Zune. See Ars link below.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/zune.ars

I like Ars reviews, but they lost me on this one in the size / weight comparison with a 60gb iPod to the 30gb Zune. The 60gb iPod is thicker and heavier than the 30gb iPod. The comparison is lame. the rest of the review is ok.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Yeah i didn't understand the size comps either. Three virtues of Zune are emerging from the multiple reviews of the device.

1. Zune screen. Most are impressed and find it better than ipod.

2. Scroll wheel. Many reviewers have preffered it over iPods as well.

3. User interface. Many have commented that Zune's is slicker and makes ipod's seem dated.

Zune 1 looks like it's not going to be a roaring success. That should keep Apple from looking at it to see what they should bring to the next ipod. Arrogance will only lead to a downfall.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Yeah i didn't understand the size comps either. Three virtues of Zune are emerging from the multiple reviews of the device.

3. User interface. Many have commented that Zune's is slicker and makes ipod's seem dated.

Zune 1 looks like it's not going to be a roaring success. That should keep Apple from looking at it to see what they should bring to the next ipod. Arrogance will only lead to a downfall.

We'll generally I'd have to agree with you, but usually Apple is not a copier, they are an innovator. There is a lot in store for the next iPod. I predict the next release of the iPod will be the most significant release since the initial release.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

1. The zune screen actually is .5 inches larger but has the exact same resolution as the ipod, so its 'more pixelated'. Additionally, it is not a widescreen device so watching it from the side only stretches the images. Its not an upgrade imho. It may look bigger, for whatever .5 inches gives you, but doesn't by any means look better and is not a better screen.

2. Scroll wheel, i can't see this being a better thing...sorry, clicking just doesn't give you that 'feel'. at least for me. i feel more in control with the iPod. But that's a personal thing, as all of this is.

3. User interface - can't say a lot about what is on the Zune itself, but the Zune marketplace / application isn't very good. No video support yet, no podcasting support, no notes, no calendar items, no games, just music... and I tried it out too, trying to keep an open mind. it crashed on me, so it needs work.