Apple Hypes MWSF 2002

Comments

• Reply 421 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Apple signed an 'exclusive deal' with AOL to make eWorld back in the early 1990s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Such contracts tend to only live as long as said services do as well.

When eWorld went away, so would any such contract, if Apple's lawyers have any brains on they shoulders.

On the other hand... there's noooooo margin in playing ISP, and no other incentive for Apple to do so, either.

Apple is interested in helping people create and deliver digital content, and in helping other people enjoy this digital content... but I see no hint that Apple is at all interested in actually being the conduit for it all.
  • Reply 422 of 1761
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>

Such contracts tend to only live as long as said services do as well.

When eWorld went away, so would any such contract, if Apple's lawyers have any brains on they shoulders.

On the other hand... there's noooooo margin in playing ISP, and no other incentive for Apple to do so, either.

Apple is interested in helping people create and deliver digital content, and in helping other people enjoy this digital content... but I see no hint that Apple is at all interested in actually being the conduit for it all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, all APple has to do is run things. EarthLink is pretty big in DSL, Sprint and BellSouth both use EarthLink's lines. So EarthLink is pretty wide spread at least down south. Apple already uses EarthLink to give free 1 month access on their machines so why not buy them out.
  • Reply 423 of 1761
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Reuters <a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020102/tc/tech_apple_rumors_dc_2.html"; target="_blank">reports on the hype</a>.
  • Reply 424 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

EarthLink is pretty big in DSL, Sprint and BellSouth both use EarthLink's lines. So EarthLink is pretty wide spread at least down south. Apple already uses EarthLink to give free 1 month access on their machines so why not buy them out.<hr></blockquote>

Check out the MacinTouch Topic on Earthlink DSL, and you might revise your opinion....

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 425 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>And for those who are saying (hopefully jokingly) that the webmaster made the changes and then password protected the pages. Apple could pull the site and have it back with a backup in less than 30 minutes. If the backup were ready then even less time. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Just for the record, that WAS supposed to be a joke. I thought it was sufficiently ridiculous that everyone would know I was kidding!
  • Reply 426 of 1761
    spymac.com has a pic of something . . . looks like an ipod with a bigger screen.
  • Reply 427 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by Mandricard:

<strong>

Check out the MacinTouch Topic on Earthlink DSL, and you might revise your opinion....

Mandricard

AppleOutsider</strong><hr></blockquote>

No opinion, just that they are spread out fairly well. The "pretty big in DSL" is just that, being wide spread makes you pretty big.
  • Reply 428 of 1761
    From the above article-

[quote]Apple might also extend its vision of the personal computer as the hub of the ``digital lifestyle'' by introducing a consumer device for video, Bailey speculated. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 428 of 1761
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'll let you know my thoughts on their video when I see it. Especially if it does have the new Apple PDA.
  • Reply 430 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by sockboy:

<strong>spymac.com has a pic of something . . . looks like an ipod with a bigger screen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the "iWalk" wow, looks pretty cool.
  • Reply 431 of 1761
    posted 01-02-2002 07:01 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â*Â* Â*Â*

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking we'll see a buyout of Palm, which would then entitle Apple to Be's assets as well. With Microsoft digging its own grave and ready to put one foot in it (considering the draconian licensing model and privacy issues under XP), and with Palm being so financially depressed, now is the time for Apple to capitalize on the present climate. Also, I think it would be wise of Apple to grab Corel for its WordPerfect office suite. That asset, combined with AppleWorks (if licensed under the traditional model), could be capable of offering a formidable threat to MS Office. (Bear in mind that I make these predictions with the caveat that there will most certainly be some awesome hardware offerings as well, and more specifically, a new product wholly unrelated to the LCD iMac or G5.)

Think about that for a minute... Apple would then possess NeXT, NeXTStep/OpenStep, Be, BeOS, Palm, Palm OS, not to mention OS X, Newton OS (including the handwriting-recognition technology), and both Corel's WordPerfect 2002 and Bryce, in addition to Apple's own very substantial intellectual assets. As of this writing, Palm is valued at $2.4B, and Corel is valued at only $152M. With Apple having $4.5B in the bank, now might be the perfect time to strike a serious blow to Microsoft and still have enough cash left in the bank to weather the economy's uncertain schedule of returning to growth. This is important, because Apple and Dell are basically the only PC manufacturers turning profits right now, and I don't particularly see Dell banging out any new, insanely great products...

We also have to consider Apple's recent, adversarial position toward Microsoft in the context of Microsoft's proposed DOJ settlement offer. Also, consider that Microsoft's contractual agreement with Apple (which brought about Microsoft's investment in Apple some years ago) ends this year. I'm under the impression that, since Office v.X has already shipped for OS X, Apple can now give Microsoft a couple of middle fingers. And Microsoft would still be compelled to offer Office (and support the existence of Mac OS X), lest it be shown in court by the nine remaining attorneys general that Microsoft continues to abuse its monopoly. Additionally, Apple maintains options to purchase the PowerPC division from the AIM alliance this year. Never has the time been more perfect for Apple to strike some serious blows at the enemy than now.

Lastly, we should all remember what happened last year at MacWorld: Steve Jobs said that Apple had more incredible products in the works then than at any time during his tenures with Apple. If we assume that those products weren't ready for MWNY last July, perhaps Apple decided to wait a while to lay it all on us at once. Then, suddenly, we were attacked on September 11th, and one could now conclude that Apple simply decided to wait, yet again, and make up for the miserable MacWorld performance in July by kicking everybody's asses in January. Perhaps we could also conclude that the iPod was simply being used to test the waters for market acceptance of additional products revolving around Apple's 'Digital Hub' strategy.

All that aside, I look forward to iPhoto, the LCD iMac with G4's, 800 Mbs FireWire, USB 2, and perhaps many of the other oft-mentioned predictions as well. 2 1/2 hours is a long time to speak, and the added secrecy and security of the Monday keynote bode well for some truly astonishing new developments.

Regards and Happy New Year,

Patrick Insko
  • Reply 432 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Well, all APple has to do is run things. EarthLink is pretty big in DSL, Sprint and BellSouth both use EarthLink's lines.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, not true. Bellsouth absolutely owns the lines, and Earthlink can't make a move without them (how many times in the last year has ELNK told me I "qualified" for DSL, except for the one catch of it not being true...).

More than that, ELNK is a mess now: hard to get connected, harder to stay connected. Let's not even talk transfer speeds (*shudder*). Endless billing problems.... Apple would have to do more than just "run it".

[quote]<strong>So EarthLink is pretty wide spread at least down south. Apple already uses EarthLink to give free 1 month access on their machines so why not buy them out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As much as I'd love to have Apple-branded & Apple-managed broadband svc, I'd have to say I don't consider that to be the best use of their money.
  • Reply 433 of 1761
    so who is going to stay up tonight .. t minus 2 hours 15 min....
  • Reply 434 of 1761
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Me. 2 hours 5 mins 34 secs.
  • Reply 435 of 1761
    I've been reading the posts, starting w/ Dorsal M's G5 thread, and applaud everyone's imaginations and quick wits. All the enthusiasm convinced me to register and hopefully contribute. Here's my "2 cents worth" on Apple's MWSF hype:

I agree that it started with SJ's keynote being pushed forward by a day (ironicaly just after OSRumors reported that Apple had taken a "significant interest" in G5 manufacture/ production and were hitting 2.4 to 2.8 GHz maximum with significant numbers produced at 1.4 and 1.6 to initiate production purposes ~11/2001). My first impressions were that SJ wanted to "upstage" everyone, and that he wanted to avoid any "mistakes" verbalized by other vendors that might give away "his surprises". OSRumors had also stated that Moto could be a problem because they had G4 Apollos ready for production (Apollo being mizerly in power consumption and higher in clock speed etc than production G4s). Relating all this, and not to leave out Sahara G3, to the MWSF hype ... I agree with the few who have stated that G5 will be coming to MWSF, and that the new iMac will get an Apollo G4 with a flatpanel screen (as is, duh, obvious ... to keep Moto happy). If Apple really wanted to shake things up (and make Moto happier), the TiBook could get an Apollo as well (if customers get P.O.'d because of buying too soon, "they should of planned ahead!"). The iBook could get the new "Sahara" processor to maintain the product wide enhancements. As for the new product TBA'd. It may be more than one. There have been posts that speculate the new iMac would be the digital hub, but I have a hunch that the digital hub will marry iMac technology with that of AirPort and a couple of software companies (one of which was purchased by Apple just recently, dealing with audio/video I/O). Here's the concept: a CPU based on the iMac MoBo; an AirPort+ incorporated (AirPort allows 10 connections, this one allows at least double that) into the design; bay connectivity for iPod and others; A/V I/O for computer controlled TV/ Stereo/ CD/ DVD Etc; Computer / AirPort controlled home automation units that allow control/ management of heating, lighting, security, and more (the S/W already exists ... for dreaded WinTel Boxes); the device utilizes remote keyboarding and display, making it easily consealed and secured; if the iWalk / dolphin threads have any bearing, it could be remote controlled by these devices or any Mac on the local network. Just "food for thought, with a little backup "rumor". Oh yah, and I hope that Apple either brings back their PDA or the next generation there of, my Newton kicked ... (except for battery life).

Thanks People!!
  • Reply 436 of 1761
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    pscates, while it's true console makers lose money on consoles, it's not necessarily true that they'd make more money on software sales with GameCube compatible hardware or 'emulators'

When computer tie-in comes into question, so does pirating. This is why Sony tried and buried Connectix and its Virtual GameStation. They also succeeded in killing Bleem.
  • Reply 437 of 1761
    10 minutes!
  • Reply 438 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by shaman:

<strong>

Sorry, not true. Bellsouth absolutely owns the lines, and Earthlink can't make a move without them (how many times in the last year has ELNK told me I "qualified" for DSL, except for the one catch of it not being true...).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Opps, I got the Bellsouth and Earthlink mixed up. My parents ordered Bellsouth but it sucked because thier modem didn't support X, so I told my folks to get Earthlink which became available the same day and did support X.

My bad
  • Reply 439 of 1761
    4 Days to Macworld San Francisco

It's like a backstage pass to the future!

.. oh boy a Michael J Fox refference!!!!

ITS THE FLUX CAPASITER!

Zorn
  • Reply 439 of 1761
    "Like a Ticket to the future"