Any help would be nice

Mac Pro Manuals
  • Reply 2 of 9
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dac0nvu

Mac Pro Manuals

Thanks!

However, the service manual is not on that page, I need photos of how to remove the memory and processor cage
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Sorry, I don't know of a generic "service manual", but the Mac Pro Memory Riser Card DIY Replacement Instructions manual gives instructions on page 3 for accessing the memory cage.

Quote:

Removing the Installed Memory Riser Card

1.Carefully lay the computer on its side so that the open side faces up.

2. Locate the memory riser card.

3. Holding the memory riser card by the two finger holes, pull it out of the memory cage and

place the card DIMM-side-up on a soft, clean cloth.

• Reply 4 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Removing the processor and memory cages were almost impossible even for the guys who replaced the Woodcrests with the quad-cores. Here is the link and it has a lot of pictures.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=3
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Removing the processor and memory cages were almost impossible even for the guys who replaced the Woodcrests with the quad-cores. Here is the link and it has a lot of pictures.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=3

DEAR GOD!!

yeah uh.. I managed to loosen the fan assembly but I figured it was more trouble than it's worth so I shoved it back in.

I figured maybe there was a missing latch or something that made it easier.. guess not.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Well, I don't know how adventurous these AnandTech guys are, but there has to be a simple way to get those screws loose (the ones they complain that the standoffs don't stay in place). Apparently once you figure out how to get those screws out the whole thing would be a lot easier.

Eventually the service manual will appear on the web. The people in the $299 training program will undoubtedly make a copy of it and upload it somewhere. It always happens.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    yeah I just obtained a service manual and there's no easier way to do it
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Well, I don't know how adventurous these AnandTech guys are, but there has to be a simple way to get those screws loose (the ones they complain that the standoffs don't stay in place). Apparently once you figure out how to get those screws out the whole thing would be a lot easier.

I don't think keeping the stand-offs still are an issue with some slender pliers. The problem I had was that those screws simply would not turn at all.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

I apologize for resurrecting a six month old thread, but I managed to get the lower screws out, but I did not remove the cage, just sliding it to the back a few millimeters made it easier to get the processor heat sink cover in and out.

In short, those bottom screws were secured with some nasty strong thread locking compound.

I had a friend laser cut a very thin wrench so I could hold the standoff while turning the screw out of the standoff. Otherwise, the screw would just spin, you have to hold the standoff secure in order to get the screw out. On one screw, I had to use a vice-grip stype of pliers to force the screw off. This wasn't a desirable situation at all.