Run your MacBook Pro cooler with a simple application.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    45 degrees Celsius (113 Fahrenheit) is a great temperature for a MacBook Pro in my opinion. My 1.25Ghz PowerBook G4 was always running at 56 Celsius (133 Fahrenheit) under light loads and would top out at 62 Celsius (144 Fahrenheit) under load.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Yeah, at 45 degrees, the fans do produce a bit of noise but the notebook is exceptionally cool. I love these apps.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    I just downloaded "Fan Control" and now I'd like some advice on best settings to keep my MBP cool. I never it without it being plugged in so power isn't an issue.

For instance, what's the "Upper Threshold", and why is it set at 80 C?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I downloaded smc awhile ago, and just recently one of my fans has been making a bad rattling noise when it speeds up past its normal 1000rpms. Theres still a rattling noise at 1000rpms but its really low so I can't tell unless I put my ear next to it... But its probably that they're unrelated, unless someone knows more about it than me
  • Reply 25 of 33
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm using fan control now and have it set to 1800rpm because that's what I heard the C2D mbps are set to and right now I'm at 41C and the notebook is silent. Beautiful.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green

I just downloaded "Fan Control" and now I'd like some advice on best settings to keep my MBP cool. I never it without it being plugged in so power isn't an issue.

For instance, what's the "Upper Threshold", and why is it set at 80 C?

Thanks in advance.

The upper threshold is the maximum temperature the software will allow your notebook to heat upto and the lower threshold is the lowest. I set them to 70 degrees and 40 degrees respectively.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    My C2D was set to either 1400 or 1500 standard I think. I bumped it to 1800 and it's pretty comfortable all the time now...
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoeorDie

I jut got the 13.3" 80gb Macbook. I installed this program but this message came up. "You are running FanControl on an unsupported machine!"

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks!!

I had the exact same problem as you. Were you able to solve it? I just sent an email to the guy who developed the application... let's see what he answer me (if he answer)...

What MPB do you have? I have a 17'' MPB C2D... it's brand new... I just got it from a local store today.. it's not running hot at all... but I just wanted to run the application to see how it's like.. and what's the temperature...
  • Reply 29 of 33
    You could also try CoolBook. It is a paid applications and it does not change the speed of the fans. Instead, it undervolts the CPU and is reported to have no negetive effects and respectable reduction in temperature without any additional noise.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Fan Control has made a huge difference in the amount of heat my MBP emits. I haven't noticed an increase in fan noise as a result of the slightly higher RPM's the right and left fans are doing. As for the CoolBook app, I'd be somewhat hesitant to run any app specifically designed to handicap my CPU. I think the best solution here is fan management, not limiting the components IMHO.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Guys, maybe SMCFanControl will only work on machines with Core Duo and not on those newest MB(P) models with Core 2 Duo?

And by the way, the new Core 2 Duo models' fans run now at 2000 rpm standard instead of 1000 or 1500. So that helps cooling better, too. (see http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-11-21/#6148 for more infos).
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Macbook Pro's Core 2 Duo significantly cooler than their core dup versions:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=338
  • Reply 33 of 33
    i just got my new MBP and i also got the smcFanControl. It is a great tool but i how can change the default setting of my fan speed on my Mac?. Right now both fans running on 5990 mph and it is pretty loud. With smcFanControl you can set the Minimum speed but how can you change the default speed set by apple?

I also read that apple set their MBP's to 1000mphs but as you can see, it is not in my case.

can someone answer me that question?

thanks