P2P program for Apple (newbie question!).

om2om2
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've just got my first Apple laptop!

Can someone recommend some Apple P2P software?

I've heard of Limewire a few times.

Is this any good?

Are there Apple Bitorent programs?

(I've done a search for Apple P2P on Yahoo... but I don't get any useful results.)

Thanks.

OM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I use Transmission.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Azureus is the best by far for Bittorrent. Transmission is way too limited:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Transmission also gets banned from certain sites.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I know about that, that's why I have Azureus too, as a back up
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I love Acquisition, but Watanabi's programs are too damn expensive.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Haven't used it, but the Opera browser has bittorrent built in, I think.

Welcome to the Mac-- I've noticed you have several simultaneous posts. You can put them into one if they're all about advice-seeking...
  • Reply 6 of 25
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    thanks for all the replies.

i like sourceforge... so i think i'll go for Azureus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain

Welcome to the Mac-- I've noticed you have several simultaneous posts. You can put them into one if they're all about advice-seeking...

sorry will do in future.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Transmission has a nice interface, it's a real OS X app, plus it's free.

Azureus was more hassle, felt slow and clunky due to the UI being Java. It was okay on Windows, but no longer.

I have tolerated Acquisition nagging, but I just got off my ass and am going to try replacing it with Poisoned now.

I like free software. Not free as in speech (though that is nice too), but free as in beer. Why the latter matters to me is not because I'm cheap - I'd like to think I am not. But software that does not cost money will not bug you demanding serial numbers and licenses and keys and dongles. It will not require you to keep a fragile optical disk in your drive while using it. To make a backup of it you can just copy it, it will not require a bit-by-bit copy of the surface of its disk to work. What's more, most of the time you don't even want to keep backups because you can just download it again from the web.

Though most software that costs something fails at one or more of these points, OS X succeeds. It's the kind of software I'm glad to pay for.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I just downloaded Poisoned and Transmission. Both are very nice, specially Poisoned. Thanks to everyone!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    OK, I'd like to take that back. Poisoned sucks! I used to use Acqlite previously, but it just gets stuck on 'Connecting...' nowadays. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem? Acqlite is the best P2P program on the Macintosh IMHO.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Has poisoned been updated since 2003? Poisoned and XFactor both showed promise years ago...but then development died on both of them simultaneously, due to some sort of developer quarrel. Unfortunate. XFactor sold out and poisoned...just doesn't work anymore. Acqulite/acquisition are the only real ones that work, which thusly limits us to Gnutella, and closes us off from Area/FastTtrack/Kazaa/eDonkey/Soulseek/etc. Why can't someone just make an application for them all. I wish iSwipe actually worked.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Yeah, it seems that no one is really interested in making P2P software for the Mac platform.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I second this one. I use Azureus also :] Great program.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Limewire Pro and Transmission are the best programs out there and can track down virtually anything.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I am using Transmission now. Getting speeds of upto 29 KBps on my 32 KBps connection. I love it! Is Azureus almost as good?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

I am using Transmission now. Getting speeds of upto 29 KBps on my 32 KBps connection. I love it! Is Azureus almost as good?

...No
  • Reply 16 of 25
    No?! But so many people are recommending it...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

No?! But so many people are recommending it...

What he meant to say was 'No... Azureus is better than Transmission'.

A lot of people put Azureus down because it's not a true Mac app with a Macified interface but it's still the best Bittorrent client out there in terms of features and acceptance.

Download speeds are fine too - I often get 200kBps+ but it depends on the seeders more than the program.

Since Transmission is lightweight, it supposedly uses less resources but you can't set the upload speeds of individual torrents or choose just one file in a big torrent to download. So say someone has uploaded a whole TV series and you want episode 27. With Transmission, you have to download the whole series.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I use "Acqlite" (prolly Acquisition Lite): download Acqlite.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Nicotine (runs off the soul seek servers), and Azureus is all I ever need.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    kewl... i was wondering if there was an equivalent of emule.