Foxconn to manufacture Apple's iPhone - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

It will be T-Mobile, not Cingular. (Don't ask me how I know -- can't tell you).

We've heard the rumors too. We've discussed it before.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Sounds good but it better have Bluetoof.

Is that something new? Or do you type with a lisp?
  • Reply 23 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Right, but even if it is a separate product do you think the release will coincide with the 6G iPod release?

I dont see why, they are two separate products. It's possible they might all come out at MW, depends how they intend to release the product, direct to customers or via phone companies. In the UK we can buy phones independent of carriers and fit our own SIM cards, phones cost quite a bit as with carriers they are subsidised. I believe it works differently in US?
  • Reply 24 of 98
    I sure hope it won't be tied to one carrier exclusively! Because I don't need and I don't want a cell phone plan. I prefer Prepaid and won't change that anytime soon. If they do tie the iPhone to some carrier (which might only be available in the States) the rest of us would be fcuked. So, please Steve, if you read this, don't feed those rip off mobile carriers even more dough and instead just sell your iPhone as is without any subscription. I don't care if the damn thing costs 500$, I was ready to pay that much for my first iPod, I'll be ready to pay that for my first iPhone as well.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    Quote:

-dF - I don't care if it's poo wrapped in tin foil with fish hooks sticking out of it - I'm getting one!

You are getting confused with the Brown Zune

Quote:

Ireland - Here's two i drew 6 months ago:

That is definately a PhotoShop job, I can tell

• Reply 26 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

It will be T-Mobile, not Cingular. (Don't ask me how I know -- can't tell you).

That's what I'm hoping for, either that MVNO

Didn't Cingular just start their own music service? Why would Apple want to go with them?
  • Reply 27 of 98
    Cool. Can't wait. I'm getting the brown one. 'Cause, ya know, brown is such the new cool color.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins

I dont see why, they are two separate products. It's possible they might all come out at MW, depends how they intend to release the product, direct to customers or via phone companies. In the UK we can buy phones independent of carriers and fit our own SIM cards, phones cost quite a bit as with carriers they are subsidised. I believe it works differently in US?

Yeah, it works the same here in the States. My only hunch that they would be more or less the same thing is all the rumors about the touch-less/screen iPod. I think, while it works for an iPod, it makes more sense for a PDA/BlackBerry/iPhone type device. So, with this report that Foxconn is making the iPhone, I think there will be more similarities between the iPhone and iPod 6G there there will be differences (as far as aesthetics goes). A MWSF launch would be nice. Steve spends 20 minutes showing off the iPod 6G and then, "one more thing" here is the same model but it's got the iPhone OS on it.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:

Yeah, it works the same here in the States. My only hunch that they would be more or less the same thing is all the rumors about the touch-less/screen iPod. I think, while it works for an iPod, it makes more sense for a PDA/BlackBerry/iPhone type device. So, with this report that Foxconn is making the iPhone, I think there will be more similarities between the iPhone and iPod 6G there there will be differences (as far as aesthetics goes). A MWSF launch would be nice. Steve spends 20 minutes showing off the iPod 6G and then, "one more thing" here is the same model but it's got the iPhone OS on it.

Yeah that would make sense if it is all going touch screen, as it could display a touch screen number/keypad.

A real moving target for the zune to squirt at!
  • Reply 30 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR

I assume this will not be available to Verizon customers because of the Vcast competition... and T-mobile and Cingular customers will have all the fun.

I'm still hoping for them to support Sprint, or a Sprint-based MVNO. Cingular and T-mobile don't even have true 3G, and no 3G (or as it's known now "3.5G") will cripple the product. Imagine how stupid the Zune's wireless features would seem if the iPhone had 3Mbps file sharing to any of your friends, regardless of their location.
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel

I sure hope it won't be tied to one carrier exclusively! Because I don't need and I don't want a cell phone plan. I prefer Prepaid and won't change that anytime soon. If they do tie the iPhone to some carrier (which might only be available in the States) the rest of us would be fcuked. So, please Steve, if you read this, don't feed those rip off mobile carriers even more dough and instead just sell your iPhone as is without any subscription. I don't care if the damn thing costs 500$, I was ready to pay that much for my first iPod, I'll be ready to pay that for my first iPhone as well.

I doubt if Apple would do a prepaid service.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

That's what I'm hoping for, either that MVNO

Didn't Cingular just start their own music service? Why would Apple want to go with them?

I'm sure Cingular is not displeased with the sale of the iTunes phones. In a recent interview, Bob Hyatt from there, said, in response to a question about them, that they had sold over a million of them. so, they were inspired to start their own music service, but it doesn't mean that they won't sell Apples' as well. They are also the largest cell company here.

Get to the bottom of the interview.

http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf...2cingular.html
  • Reply 33 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I doubt if Apple would do a prepaid service.

Apple MVNO? Could be an option. But doesnt sound like something apple would do.

It must be a nightmare trying to organise many different carriers, in many different countries.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    Quote:

Apple MVNO? Could be an option. But doesnt sound like something apple would do.

It must be a nightmare trying to organise many different carriers, in many different countries.

I came up with that as an idea over a year ago. I think it's a better bet than a prepaid service.
  • Reply 35 of 98
    Quote:

I came up with that as an idea over a year ago. I think it's a better bet than a prepaid service.

I think the iPhone will either be MVNO or a straight SIM "unlocked" cell (which I think is more likely). That way they can sell it in their Apple Stores and you can run it on any carrier. Some carriers will be better then others, but it makes the most sense. Look at how successful the BlackBerry is, and it's offered by all the major carriers.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    What's a "chorines"?

Anyhow, it really, really, really, really needs the smartphone capabilities. Mobile OS X, mobile mail, mobile iCal, mobile Safari, mobile spotlight...
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:

I think the iPhone will either be MVNO or a straight SIM "unlocked" cell (which I think is more likely). That way they can sell it in their Apple Stores and you can run it on any carrier. Some carriers will be better then others, but it makes the most sense. Look at how successful the BlackBerry is, and it's offered by all the major carriers.

Yeah i think the SIM unlocked makes the most sense too. Apple will want to be able to sell it direct.

What do you mean some carriers will be better than others? Here in the UK, most of the carriers are pretty much the same, they all offer similar services, and are similar in price.
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Quote:

Yeah i think the SIM unlocked makes the most sense too. Apple will want to be able to sell it direct.

What do you mean some carriers will be better than others? Here in the UK, most of the carriers are pretty much the same, they all offer similar services, and are similar in price.

In the States each carrier basically has a different network. Some can handle bandwidth better then others, etc. The unlocked SIM phone is the best option for global sales, and why I think it makes the most sense. An MVNO would probably make more sense here in America, but would also probably fail.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    YAY I can finally get a new phone!! this damn brick D500.....I'm getting bored of it!
  • Reply 40 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Sounds good but it better have Bluetoof.

Quote:

Is that something new? Or do you type with a lisp?

That's funny. Really.