Foxconn to manufacture Apple's iPhone - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump

What's a "chorines"?

That stumped me too. It seems like AI editors are pulling out obscure or lesser-used words in recent months. The OS X dictionary has it:

chorine |ˈkôrˌēn| noun a chorus girl. ORIGIN 1920s(originally U.S.): from chorus + -ine 3 .
  • Reply 42 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

In the States each carrier basically has a different network. Some can handle bandwidth better then others, etc. The unlocked SIM phone is the best option for global sales, and why I think it makes the most sense. An MVNO would probably make more sense here in America, but would also probably fail.

It's the same here with different networks, but obviously geographically the states is huge in comparison, so I can see why some networks might be different in terms of coverage/performance etc. Cheers.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    I just renewed my 2 year contract with Sprint a couple of months ago. Looks like I will have to wait a while before I give up my 2G iPod (still running like a champ).
  • Reply 44 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I doubt if Apple would do a prepaid service.

That's not what I mean. I don't need Apple to provide any service for me except for iTMS and selling me the iPhone and unlocked SIM so I can continue using my cheap ass Prepaid service. I don't care about all the 3G-or-whatever-mobile-carrier-companies-invent-next-to-extract-more-money-from-your-pocket connectivities. All I need my phone for is
    • Phone calls. Why has everybody forgotten what phones were intended to to in the first place?

• Text messages. IMHO, MMS is just a waste of bandwith and a way for carriers to make more money off of you.

• Maybe organizing some data. Contacts. Calendars. Period.

• Looking good.

• Being small and unobtrusive.

• Being easy and intuitively to operate. Unlike pretty much any cell phone OS I have come across so far.

For all that I won't need a cell phone plan. Any prepaid will do.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF

I don't care if it's poo wrapped in tin foil with fish hooks sticking out of it - I'm getting one!

What about if it looked like a Zune?
  • Reply 46 of 98
    There's an article over on Wired News that's touting the SIM approach for the iPhone.

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,...tw=wn_index_14
  • Reply 47 of 98
    Quote:

I doubt if Apple would do a prepaid service.

It'll be a non-starter in Europe without prepaid not that the phone manufacturers ever get to decide that anyway. There have been a few phones available exclusively on one carrier or on contract initially on release here but must people just unlock them and stick PAYG sims in.

What's interesting if this report is true is that Apple aren't using an existing phone manufacturers such as HTC or FIC to build their phones. That means it's not an off the shelf design even at the basic hardware level.

It's also an interesting time in the phone OS world. The Symbian OS phones are switching to Symbian 9.x which breaks compatibility with previous Symbian phones and the new phones (Nokia N series, SE P990, M600...) are pretty buggy despite the OS improvements. I sent back my P990 as it was so unstable. Microsoft hasn't quite got there yet. Palm have split entirely from Access now so fuck knows what they'll do - Windows Mobile I guess. Linux QTopia has it's work cut out gaining traction as it's so expensive and now there's a really nice open source phone platform called OpenMoko with cheap handsets too.

So, even if Apple's iPhone 1.0 in January is lacking, it joins a whole industry of software that is also severely lacking. If they do an iPhone Nano candybar simple phone and an Apple OQO running OSX, I'll buy both. :-)
  • Reply 48 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu

There's an srticle over on Wired News that's touting the SIM approach for the iPhone.

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,...tw=wn_index_14

Wow, my words exactly! I'd really love Apple to make that MP3 player that you can make phone calls with instead of what everybody else does: A phone that plays MP3s. Simplicity is your friend!
  • Reply 49 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pioneer01

That is definately a PhotoShop job, I can tell

I'll be passing round the RAZR bin, lol.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

I think the iPhone will either be MVNO or a straight SIM "unlocked" cell (which I think is more likely). That way they can sell it in their Apple Stores and you can run it on any carrier. Some carriers will be better then others, but it makes the most sense. Look at how successful the BlackBerry is, and it's offered by all the major carriers.

I don't think so. It wouldn't be unlocked unless Apple could get the carriers to support the full feature set, which most carriers simply won't do.

Apple is a believer in the entire "experience". They won't allow a carrier to modify that. It's likely one of the major reasons why their phone isn't out yet.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins

Yeah i think the SIM unlocked makes the most sense too. Apple will want to be able to sell it direct.

What do you mean some carriers will be better than others? Here in the UK, most of the carriers are pretty much the same, they all offer similar services, and are similar in price.

We have more competition here. Each carrier does its own thing.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel

That's not what I mean. I don't need Apple to provide any service for me except for iTMS and selling me the iPhone and unlocked SIM so I can continue using my cheap ass Prepaid service. I don't care about all the 3G-or-whatever-mobile-carrier-companies-invent-next-to-extract-more-money-from-your-pocket connectivities. All I need my phone for is
    • Phone calls. Why has everybody forgotten what phones were intended to to in the first place?

• Text messages. IMHO, MMS is just a waste of bandwith and a way for carriers to make more money off of you.

• Maybe organizing some data. Contacts. Calendars. Period.

• Looking good.

• Being small and unobtrusive.

• Being easy and intuitively to operate. Unlike pretty much any cell phone OS I have come across so far.

For all that I won't need a cell phone plan. Any prepaid will do.

That wouldn't work. As I've made clear above, whatever service you get would have to be willing to support Apples' phone featurs. If they don't, the features won't work.

Whatever network they are riding on must have the capabilities. If they just have straight phone features, then forget it.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

It'll be a non-starter in Europe without prepaid not that the phone manufacturers ever get to decide that anyway. There have been a few phones available exclusively on one carrier or on contract initially on release here but must people just unlock them and stick PAYG sims in.

What's interesting if this report is true is that Apple aren't using an existing phone manufacturers such as HTC or FIC to build their phones. That means it's not an off the shelf design even at the basic hardware level.

It's also an interesting time in the phone OS world. The Symbian OS phones are switching to Symbian 9.x which breaks compatibility with previous Symbian phones and the new phones (Nokia N series, SE P990, M600...) are pretty buggy despite the OS improvements. I sent back my P990 as it was so unstable. Microsoft hasn't quite got there yet. Palm have split entirely from Access now so fuck knows what they'll do - Windows Mobile I guess. Linux QTopia has it's work cut out gaining traction as it's so expensive and now there's a really nice open source phone platform called OpenMoko with cheap handsets too.

So, even if Apple's iPhone 1.0 in January is lacking, it joins a whole industry of software that is also severely lacking. If they do an iPhone Nano candybar simple phone and an Apple OQO running OSX, I'll buy both. :-)

If Apple is going to offer phone music downloads, and other hi-band features, at least here in the States, and Canada, prepaid phone services which people only buy because they are cheap, won't work.

These services have nothing beyond basic services, and maybe just a bit more. But not enough to support what Apple would need.

I don't know how prepaid works over there, so I can't say.

But, ir's possible that Apple would start here first, as they did with the iPod, and later, iTunes, then, if sucessful, do the work to get it elsewhere.

But, I would only buy it if it had a mobile OS X on it. Otherwise I'm not willing to give up my Treo 700p.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    Quote:

I don't think so. It wouldn't be unlocked unless Apple could get the carriers to support the full feature set, which most carriers simply won't do.

Apple is a believer in the entire "experience". They won't allow a carrier to modify that. It's likely one of the major reasons why their phone isn't out yet.

Even in the UK we're getting some of that. Oddly it's usually because carriers try to ADD features. For instance, Orange adds it's own front screen menu system to some phones and on the P990 I had they somehow forgot to include the RSS news reader that ships as standard. The added overhead of their buggy software also meant the phone ran sub par too.

On the other hand, I can't see ANY UK carrier being so daft as to disable Bluetooth or data like some US carriers have done.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Even in the UK we're getting some of that. Oddly it's usually because carriers try to ADD features. For instance, Orange adds it's own front screen menu system to some phones and on the P990 I had they somehow forgot to include the RSS news reader that ships as standard. The added overhead of their buggy software also meant the phone ran sub par too.

On the other hand, I can't see ANY UK carrier being so daft as to disable Bluetooth or data like some US carriers have done.

They add features here as well. But, they want you to use their features, that's why they sometimes block some of the phone features. I don't see the point of blockinf Bluetooth, but I suppose they don't want it being used as a mobile modem without they service fees.

Building cell networks in the States and Canada is far more expensive than it is in Europe, because of the size of the landmass. They have to get that back somehow. But, over time they open these services up.

The truth is that most people here, as everywhere else, don't use the extra services, and thus don't care.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel

I sure hope it won't be tied to one carrier exclusively! Because I don't need and I don't want a cell phone plan. I prefer Prepaid and won't change that anytime soon. If they do tie the iPhone to some carrier (which might only be available in the States) the rest of us would be fcuked. So, please Steve, if you read this, don't feed those rip off mobile carriers even more dough and instead just sell your iPhone as is without any subscription. I don't care if the damn thing costs 500$, I was ready to pay that much for my first iPod, I'll be ready to pay that for my first iPhone as well.

How about both!?!??

Let's have the $150 model with a carrier and the $350 model "open source." I'd just like to see which one most people would get.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR

I assume this will not be available to Verizon customers because of the Vcast competition... and T-mobile and Cingular customers will have all the fun.

We always have all the fun!

Though, I don't think I'll be adding an apple phone to my collection, UNLESS there's something in it that will be totally awesome for mac users.

My Samsung I have with Cingular hooks up with my Mac just fine, so not too eager to replace it.
  • Reply 58 of 98
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Now that most family and friends are "IN" with Verizon and I have the Moto clamshell that sychs to my Mac, I am probably a year or two away from switching .... if I ever do. Verizon is fine, though pricey and it has fairly good service in rural NW which I need.

But even more to the point, I need a clamshell. "Candy bars" are for middle schoolers. I want the main screen and buttons protected. I want it to slide in and out of pockets easiy. I want it to have an easy interface and a click-wheel-like first (on the outside of the clamshell) design for the 95% of the calls that I make that don't require numeric buttons (plus iPod navigation) and then the numerics inside when needed. I want easy synching to my Mac (obviously standard for any iPhone). And last I want at least 4Gigs of music storage.

So please, no candy bar or at least give us two versions.

Ireland: Can you use your Ive's like design sense and CAD programming skills to mock up a clamshell version of your wonderful phone?
  • Reply 59 of 98
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

and I have the Moto clamshell that sychs to my Mac,

Which phone is that??
  • Reply 60 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

Now that most family and friends are "IN" with Verizon and I have the Moto clamshell that sychs to my Mac, I am probably a year or two away from switching .... if I ever do. Verizon is fine, though pricey and it has fairly good service in rural NW which I need.

But even more to the point, I need a clamshell. "Candy bars" are for middle schoolers. I want the main screen and buttons protected. I want it to slide in and out of pockets easiy. I want it to have an easy interface and a click-wheel-like first (on the outside of the clamshell) design for the 95% of the calls that I make that don't require numeric buttons (plus iPod navigation) and then the numerics inside when needed. I want easy synching to my Mac (obviously standard for any iPhone). And last I want at least 4Gigs of music storage.

So please, no candy bar or at least give us two versions.

Ireland: Can you use your Ive's like design sense and CAD programming skills to mock up a clamshell version of your wonderful phone?

I prefer the way my Treo is. I don't like clamshells that much.

It's just a matter of perspective. Neither is really better.