Working at an Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone have any idea how the much the non-management employees make at an Apple Retail store? I am getting ready to move and I think it could be fun to work at one of those stores on a temporary basis. Hopefully they do pretty well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    $8 an hour?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

$8 an hour?

Nope
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I know with "no experience" (aka working in retail) at BBY I started at 8/h. I'm sure it's somewhere around there, probably higher.

But the employees I know tell me they get an employee discount on apple products... something no other store I know of offers (At BBY we got maybe a buck off apple products... :P)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Dreadful, I was hoping Apple would do better than that. If I were 16 or so that'd be great, but I couldn't survive on that.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You realize you wouldn't be able to visit, let alone post to, a forum like this when you work at Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Note that the above $8/hr has been said to be wrong, so maybe you need to wait until there is actual information before forming a decision.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesP2009

Dreadful, I was hoping Apple would do better than that. If I were 16 or so that'd be great, but I couldn't survive on that.

Yeah, I mean, I am guessing. Most of their non-manager posistions are filled with teenagers (at least at my store).

I'm sure the specialized posistions/etc get paid a lot more. /shrug. It's like that everywhere else, at least.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    One would think atleast $10-12 entry level for a place like apple, but $8...blah
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

One would think atleast $10-12 entry level for a place like apple, but $8...blah

Very nice thinking, really. I have less than "nice" thinking towards retail these days. After BBY... meh. But I'm sure Apple treats it's employess a lot ... better. :P

Who knows! Maybe I'll ask one of my friends there next time I stop in for a visit :P
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I worked at Apple as seasonal help for four weeks over the Chirstmas holidays last year (around 20 hours / week). It was not my first job ever, but it was my first retail job (I'm an engineering student ... textbooks aren't free). They paid $9 in Texas. You do get a 10% in-store discount. If you work on a permanent basis, you get a 25% online discount. The Genius Bar guys (even the seasonal ones) make considerably more, though I'm not sure how much. It's retail - not exactly technically challenging. Most of my co-workers were college students also.

Oh yeah ... you also get to keep your cool little black shirt
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I was hoping the employees dressed like Steve Jobs during a keynote but the last time I went to my local Apple Store the employees all had these horrible green shirts.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Note that the above $8/hr has been said to be wrong, so maybe you need to wait until there is actual information before forming a decision.

However you don't know whether the person who said it was wrong posted correct information.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    WOW the discount is just 10%????!!! Dont you get 10% if you are a student with a student ID card?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teddyp

WOW the discount is just 10%????!!! Dont you get 10% if you are a student with a student ID card?

In-store is 10% ... if you're more than just seasonal help you get 25% online. The student discount isn't quite 10% either - it's more like 7 - 8% depending on the product. You also can't use your student discount to buy software in the store. That has to be used online.