Foxconn to manufacture Apple's iPhone - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Here's two i drew 6 months ago:

On both suggested models the green phone icon changes to red when on a call. It must be press to hang up, and the touch sensor is so clever it can tell the difference between your face and your thumb, so you wont hang up be accident, that and the sensor inside can tell if there is much light getting to the front of the phone, so it takes this and the time of day into account too before it decides if you really wanted to hang up Both models have touch sensitive numbers too.

That looks a bit sketchy to me....
  • Reply 62 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

But even more to the point, I need a clamshell. "Candy bars" are for middle schoolers.

Amen.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psionic001

That looks a bit sketchy to me....

Approximately 30 seconds work, that was a hard day.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    I'll believe it when I can order it. Until then, nuts to Wu!
  • Reply 65 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I prefer the way my Treo is. I don't like clamshells that much.

It's just a matter of perspective. Neither is really better.

Candybars are infinitely better. No need for two screens just to tell the time or see who is ringing, having to flip a phone open just to answer a call or read a text message, less obtrusive, they're more robust, you only need one hand to operate them, you don't look like some knuckle dragging luddite from the Startac era or Paris Hilton wannabee.

The only thing worse is geek PDA phones with aerials.

I can think of lots of reasons why flip phones are horrible and not one good reason for them. If Apple makes a flip phone, then they'll be using brown plastic for the next iPods and doing a beige iMac.

An Applified version of the SE T610 candybar would be perfect for the low end phone. Still my favourite phone ever and it had absolutely perfect iSync compatibility right from the get go. Mix in the featureset of the latest SE Walkman phones like the W850 or the blogging features of the K800i with .Mac/iWeb.

If they're doing a PDA/Smartphone like a Treo, Blackberry, Nokia E61, SE P990 type thing, that'll be much harder to get right and still be stylish plus they'll still need software to run on it unless they've distilled iLife/iWork down to phone size too.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Candybars are infinitely better. No need for two screens just to tell the time or see who is ringing, having to flip a phone open just to answer a call or read a text message, less obtrusive, they're more robust, you only need one hand to operate them, you don't look like some knuckle dragging luddite from the Startac era or Paris Hilton wannabee.

The only thing worse is geek PDA phones with aerials.

I can think of lots of reasons why flip phones are horrible and not one good reason for them. If Apple makes a flip phone, then they'll be using brown plastic for the next iPods and doing a beige iMac.

I didn't really want to get into it. I know you too long. I don't mind hurting your feelings, but...

Quote:

An Applified version of the SE T610 candybar would be perfect for the low end phone. Still my favourite phone ever and it had absolutely perfect iSync compatibility right from the get go. Mix in the featureset of the latest SE Walkman phones like the W850 or the blogging features of the K800i with .Mac/iWeb.

If they're doing a PDA/Smartphone like a Treo, Blackberry, Nokia E61, SE P990 type thing, that'll be much harder to get right and still be stylish plus they'll still need software to run on it unless they've distilled iLife/iWork down to phone size too.

If Excel and Word can be rewritten to work, sort of, on a palm or Mobile Windows phone, then Apple should be able to do the same—at least.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

Now that most family and friends are "IN" with Verizon and I have the Moto clamshell that sychs to my Mac, I am probably a year or two away from switching .... if I ever do. Verizon is fine, though pricey and it has fairly good service in rural NW which I need.

But even more to the point, I need a clamshell. "Candy bars" are for middle schoolers. I want the main screen and buttons protected. I want it to slide in and out of pockets easiy. I want it to have an easy interface and a click-wheel-like first (on the outside of the clamshell) design for the 95% of the calls that I make that don't require numeric buttons (plus iPod navigation) and then the numerics inside when needed. I want easy synching to my Mac (obviously standard for any iPhone). And last I want at least 4Gigs of music storage.

So please, no candy bar or at least give us two versions.

Actually, I hate flip phones. I'm 20, and I just can't function with them. They drive me nuts. I tried the Razr, and I guess I did something wrong because it broke really easily and it wasn't by dropping, but by flipping the display open.

I prefer sliding phones, or the "candy bars" as you put it. I know a lot of 20+ers who prefer the same. I wish there were more avaliable in the US, more styles. I was estatic when the Samsung D807 got released.

Most of the HS'ers I know have flip phones. And I don't want to know any Middle schoolers. I saw enough of those brats while working in retail.

I think it all does just come down to personal preference. If Apple is smart they'll cater to each dominant "style".

And also not say that such and such is for a specific age group ;p
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Quote:

We have more competition here. Each carrier does its own thing.

Yeah, we've only got O2, Vodafone, 3, Orange, T-Mobile, Virgin, Tesco and maybe a couple of other MVNOs I've forgot eg. EasyMobile (just folded). They all do their own thing eg. T-Mobile has great data contracts, Orange is the only one to give you two lines on one phone. They all have various free minutes / free text offers. What they all have in common though is they all use the same phone standards, SIMs and frequencies so they're pretty much interchangeable as long as your phone isn't locked.

Most contract phones aren't locked so I can take an Orange SIM and stick it in a vodafone phone. Most PAYG phones are locked to the operator (or carrier in US terminology) but pretty much any market or non-official phone shop will unlock a phone for you for about £10. Since the phone has cost you only about £30 that's basically a completely unlocked phone for £40.

That's why we typically have 2-3 phones in the UK each and we just swap the SIM depending on the occasion and phones are disposable fashion items to some people.

If you're on contract, the latest PDA smart phones are also quite often free or under £50.

Apple coming out with a $500 phone will be about as popular as a brown zune.

UK phone users also forget that a lot of the USA just isn't covered by digital phone systems because of population density. It's like the phone system we had 10 years ago in parts of the USA and for years the USA had completely bizarre systems where you had to pay to receive SMS messages and couldn't even send them to other networks outside yours.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    Quote:

Yeah, we've only got O2, Vodafone, 3, Orange, T-Mobile, Virgin, Tesco and maybe a couple of other MVNOs I've forgot eg. EasyMobile (just folded). They all do their own thing eg. T-Mobile has great data contracts, Orange is the only one to give you two lines on one phone. They all have various free minutes / free text offers. What they all have in common though is they all use the same phone standards, SIMs and frequencies so they're pretty much interchangeable as long as your phone isn't locked.

Most contract phones aren't locked so I can take an Orange SIM and stick it in a vodafone phone. Most PAYG phones are locked to the operator (or carrier in US terminology) but pretty much any market or non-official phone shop will unlock a phone for you for about £10. Since the phone has cost you only about £30 that's basically a completely unlocked phone for £40.

That's why we typically have 2-3 phones in the UK each and we just swap the SIM depending on the occasion and phones are disposable fashion items to some people.

If you're on contract, the latest PDA smart phones are also quite often free or under £50.

UK phone users also forget that a lot of the USA just isn't covered by digital phone systems because of population density. It's like the phone system we had 10 years ago in parts of the USA and for years the USA had completely bizarre systems where you had to pay to receive SMS messages and couldn't even send them to other networks outside yours.

When I was in the UK this summer I was befuddled by your cellphone systems. How the carriers just send out SIMs for you to pass on your old phones, etc. etc.

I know when I move over there I'll probably get on the 3g network because it just seems most reliable. That was the one I was on with my Cingular phone, and it worked great. But I still have some researching to do :O

Not to mention all my friends over there have old phones lying around so I could just grab a SIM and go...

I wish the US was more like that. :P Would save a LOT of phones... I know I've had 3 different phones in the last year (for various reasons...) so.. :/

Cingular and T-mobile both use GMS network, Verizon is still on PCS, the old network. GMS is what is used over in England, because I could take my Cingular GMS phone and use it over there just fine. If I wanted to take my Verizon plan over there to stay in touch, I would have had to special order a phone that could use your networks for an ENORMOUS price, or "rent" one. I just took my Cingular phone back from my dad and took that. Had just just pay 5 bucks extra a month to make calls to/from England, and $1/minute call charge. Which isn't that bad.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

When I was in the UK this summer I was befuddled by your cellphone systems. How the carriers just send out SIMs for you to pass on your old phones, etc. etc.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. You can just buy a SIM for about £25 inc £5 of call credit and pop it in any old unlocked phone you happen to have. Takes about 30 minutes and you're up and running with a new number. I did that for my business support line a couple of years back since it's only used for incoming calls it works out at about £30 for the first year and £10 for the second year. My servers also send it SMS texts.

If you visit the UK just buy a SIM and pop it in your unlocked US GSM phone instead of paying stupid roaming charges.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:

I didn't mean that we had more carriers, just that they compete more on standards and services.

Quote:

Most of the US is covered by digital now. Though some rural areas aren't. There's been a big push by the carriers though.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. You can just buy a SIM for about £25 inc £5 of call credit and pop it in any old unlocked phone you happen to have. Takes about 30 minutes and you're up and running with a new number. I did that for my business support line a couple of years back since it's only used for incoming calls it works out at about £30 for the first year and £10 for the second year. My servers also send it SMS texts.

If you visit the UK just buy a SIM and pop it in your unlocked US GSM phone instead of paying stupid roaming charges.

You may not be able to do that. It has to be a "world " phone. GSM here doesn't have the same frequencies as over there. You need a phone with at least three, or four, depending on where you are going. We use 850 and 1900. elsewhere, it is usually 900 and 1800.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I just hope the call quality is good and it gets good reception. So many of these feature laden phones can't make a f**king call. If it can I'll get one. Looking forward to syncing it with my mbp and I hope I can download 5g ipod games to it.

I wold prefer a flip to candy bar though.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I wold prefer a flip to candy bar though.

Same here. Better for screen protection and avoiding accidental dialing.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Same here. Better for screen protection and avoiding accidental dialing.

Use a screen protector (cheap!), and candybar phones don't dial by themselves. You set it to lock out the keys, a quick press when turning the phone on activates the functions.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump

What's a "chorines"?

Misspelling of cronies. As in friends.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firsttube

The way it looks, if it's a mistake, it's almost as if it was a voice dictated to a computer. You have to make three mistakes to get chorines from cronies (one wrong letter and two transpositions), but the phonetics might sound pretty similar to a computer.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firsttube

"Chorine" is a real word. It means a chorus girl. I found it funny. It's almost like AI is making fun of Steve.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:

Use a screen protector (cheap!), and candybar phones don't dial by themselves. You set it to lock out the keys, a quick press when turning the phone on activates the functions.

I don't know what plastic SE make the T610 screen out of but my 5 year old phone has no scratches on it at all to speak of. If you hold it at an angle you can see minor scuffs but it doesn't show on the screen head on. The touchscreen on my P910 however has plenty where I've been writing on it.

Also, never accidentally dialled on either. It locks itself after a period of no use or you just press OK then * and it's locked. It becomes second nature. Accidentally answering is more of a problem as it's usually in my jeans.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    I made Apple release the iPhone. How did I do it? Simple, I tried an age-old technique which has worked for every much anticipated gadget release in recent history: I bought an expensive soon-to-be-obsolete version of the same thing.

It's worked with the Powerbook (MBPs were released right after). It worked with the iPhone (just got a Nokia N73 for like $500)

So... thank me!