Foxconn to manufacture Apple's iPhone - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu

Which phone is that??

It is the Moto E815 and it took me a while to convince the Verizon folks that it would work. I actually went behind the counter and showed them the Apple page of supported phones on their computer screen.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Use a screen protector (cheap!), and candybar phones don't dial by themselves. You set it to lock out the keys, a quick press when turning the phone on activates the functions.

No thanks, I'll just hang onto my rapidly failing Samsung phone I got from T-mo 3 or 4 years ago until Apple ponies up with a phone I can really use... WITH a clamshell. \
  • Reply 83 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

I think it all does just come down to personal preference. If Apple is smart they'll cater to each dominant "style".

And also not say that such and such is for a specific age group ;p

I'm sorry, you are correct in catching me dissing middle schoolers! I've taught at many grade levels and it seems like the flip phones were cool when the X-Files was big, and then lately candybars became more fashion statements.

For me it is the functionality and sturdy nature of flip-phones, not RASZRs, that make them far superior. My experience may be dated, but my first cellphone was a candybar style and I kept accidently dialing out from my pocket or answered the phone while taking it out of my pocket. I can actually open a flip-phone with one hand if needed.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Use a screen protector (cheap!), and candybar phones don't dial by themselves. You set it to lock out the keys, a quick press when turning the phone on activates the functions.

So I'd like to see the option of either type, but I don't get how having to find a button to set the lock and then finding it again to activate the phone is easier than merely opening a flip-phone. A flip phone can have a larger screen and protects the buttons from pocket lint.
  • Reply 85 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

So I'd like to see the option of either type, but I don't get how having to find a button to set the lock and then finding it again to activate the phone is easier than merely opening a flip-phone. A flip phone can have a larger screen and protects the buttons from pocket lint.

Muscle memory kicks in for locking or you can just leave it 5 seconds to lock itself. Most candybar phones don't need unlocking to answer too, you just click the answer button or indeed any of the buttons if you've set them that way, so it's actually less actions as you don't have to open it first to answer.

Pocket lint only seems to be a problem for Apple and their plastics. OK, perhaps you win - make it a flip phone Apple.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    I personally like the flip phones. I like flipping them open to answer them, and I like the protection it gives them.

The new "candybar" phones are smaller though....I'd love to have a nano-sized phone, as long as it has good reception and audio on the receiving and speaking sides...
  • Reply 87 of 98
    I'll add that in the UK (and most of Europe I think too), it's illegal to drive a car operating a mobile phone. You have to put them in a cradle on the dashboard and press buttons there. Flip phones aren't as popular for that reason.

It's usually the reverse of the US - school kids like flip phones. People who drive prefer non-flip phones. Of course, often we have both. Dinky flip phones if you want to be fashionable but not drive and practical candybars so you can operate them on your dash.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. You can just buy a SIM for about £25 inc £5 of call credit and pop it in any old unlocked phone you happen to have. Takes about 30 minutes and you're up and running with a new number. I did that for my business support line a couple of years back since it's only used for incoming calls it works out at about £30 for the first year and £10 for the second year. My servers also send it SMS texts.

If you visit the UK just buy a SIM and pop it in your unlocked US GSM phone instead of paying stupid roaming charges.

Well, I'd have to get my phone unlocked. But I have so many friends over there that I know I could get a semi decent phone off one of 'em. 3G is always trying to get them to upgrade to a new phone for free/cheap. I know my boyfriend (who lives there, yeah.. can't resist the brits...) has at least two old phones. :P

But yeh. I wish it were that way over here. ;[

PS: Moving to England come next fall-- going to University there (I know this might sound like a crazy thing to you :P)
  • Reply 89 of 98
    Quote:

I'm sorry, you are correct in catching me dissing middle schoolers! I've taught at many grade levels and it seems like the flip phones were cool when the X-Files was big, and then lately candybars became more fashion statements.

For me it is the functionality and sturdy nature of flip-phones, not RASZRs, that make them far superior. My experience may be dated, but my first cellphone was a candybar style and I kept accidently dialing out from my pocket or answered the phone while taking it out of my pocket. I can actually open a flip-phone with one hand if needed.

Flip phones seem to still be cool for grade-level kids. I work at a "trendy italian cafe" It seems the ones still in school have flip phones, while the ones in college use "candy bars"

Also, the "candy bar" phones have been upgraded to have a locking mechanism. They don't dial numbers until you press (it depends on the phone) your pass code to unlock it.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I don't know what plastic SE make the T610 screen out of but my 5 year old phone has no scratches on it at all to speak of. If you hold it at an angle you can see minor scuffs but it doesn't show on the screen head on. The touchscreen on my P910 however has plenty where I've been writing on it.

Well, yeah, that's the point. A touch screen device needs a screen protector. A non-touch screen probably doesn't.

Quote:

Also, never accidentally dialled on either. It locks itself after a period of no use or you just press OK then * and it's locked. It becomes second nature. Accidentally answering is more of a problem as it's usually in my jeans.

Most PDA candybar phones I've played with, give a choice as to whether you want to turn the feature on. The Treo does. When I pres a button to light the screen, it tells me to press the center button to unlock it.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Quote:

you set the lock once. The unlock is always the same key. most phones will say to press whichever key is is by name. Ii takes a whole half second.

Flip phones have the same screen sizes as candybar phones. Depends on the phone.

But, touch screen phones are a bitch to use when they come in a flip phone style.

The hinges on flip phones also have a well deserved reputation for breaking.
  • Reply 92 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

I personally like the flip phones. I like flipping them open to answer them, and I like the protection it gives them.

Are you a StarTrek fan?

The new "candybar" phones are smaller though....I'd love to have a nano-sized phone, as long as it has good reception and audio on the receiving and speaking sides...[/QUOTE]

Tiny phones are out. Never practical. They were popular years ago, but went out of fashion when people realised they couldn't use them.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    Quote:

I'll add that in the UK (and most of Europe I think too), it's illegal to drive a car operating a mobile phone. You have to put them in a cradle on the dashboard and press buttons there. Flip phones aren't as popular for that reason.

It's usually the reverse of the US - school kids like flip phones. People who drive prefer non-flip phones. Of course, often we have both. Dinky flip phones if you want to be fashionable but not drive and practical candybars so you can operate them on your dash.

Mostly illegal to drive ands hold a phone while you drive as well. Not that people care much.

Studies have shown that just talking on a phone when you drive, hand held or not, is equivalent to being drunk, safety wise.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    Quote:

yeah you need to use key lock.

however, i don't understand why Nokia doesn't put a hardware slider key lock on their phones. as it is, I have to push unlock - * to get it to unlock and the same combo to lock it. that's silly. a small, easy to use slider would be much more elegan like... on the iPod! the iPod key lock is pretty much perfect on the full size iPods. It's impossible to trigger by accident, yet very easy to use intentionally.

i think some SE phones have a hardware slider..

other than that the N73 rocks. i have always had candy bar phones...
  • Reply 95 of 98
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm buying one. I've beaten my current phone to shit and it's almost dead. I hope it has the same quality and sturdiness of iPods. I dropped my iPod probably 20 times, the pieces fell out frequently, still works, chips out of the corners and all, the original FIRST generation. iPods are practically invincible. I hope the iPhone is too.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

According to the same report, Foxconn has also assumed the role of Apple's third notebook manufacturer and will soon begin churning out 15-inch MacBook Pros for delivery by January.

It's unclear if the deal will place any burden on Quanta Computer, that Taiwan-based firm that up until now has been Apple's sole supply of 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro systems.

If I must say, from personal experience, Quanta sucks. Their Q.C. is terrible, and so is the MacBook Pro right now. Hopefully this is a sign that Apple is ditching the current design and having another company manufacture it.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

If I must say, from personal experience, Quanta sucks. Their Q.C. is terrible, and so is the MacBook Pro right now. Hopefully this is a sign that Apple is ditching the current design and having another company manufacture it.

Is there really a chronic problem with the MBPs?

Why would switching manufacturers imply a design change? The manufacturer doesn't design them.
  • Reply 98 of 98
    I have gone through many many Apple pro line notebooks - defective ones. The quality control coming out of Quanta is terrible. From poor assembly to Apple's poor design, I think both should be tossed out the window.