Apple's iPhone to arrive in early 2007 with 2MP camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartz

I aw a preproduction model in London about July last year. At the time Apple was talking to T-mobile who have a great deal of experience in MVNO's i was contracted to look at feasibility of the network as well as differentiating the products features.

Sadly Apple like you to work in isolation like a terrorist cell that way they can cut you off without you knowing too much.

Wow thats interesting, I like the bit about the terrorist cell.
  • Reply 42 of 149
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Yah, I buy iChat as one of the desired disruptive technologies. Imagine finally having ubiqutous video phones? 40 years after proof of concept from AT&T...
  • Reply 43 of 149
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Frankly all of you people who just want a phone that makes calls don't need an apple phone. I mean seriously, there are plenty of phones that do what you want. And if network quality is at issue, you could always sign up for Voce and roam on both T-mobile and Cingular to try and get better reception wherever you go. The reality is that Apple has no control over where cell-phone towers are built and if they tried to put one up next door to your house, you would protest like everyone else does.

The only reason to want Apple to create a phone is to make a smartphone that works well and elegantly. E-mail, video chat, Wi-fi, music, cameras... all that stuff is a pain in the ass usually, and if Apple can make it easier, then great. If you want a phone that just does voice calling, buy a Sony Z525 or some other entry level phone with a decent antenna. Look and see who has towers nearest to you at home and work and pick that carrier.
  • Reply 44 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Yah, I buy iChat as one of the desired disruptive technologies. Imagine finally having ubiqutous video phones? 40 years after proof of concept from AT&T...

We have video phones here in the UK on 3G
  • Reply 45 of 149
    Quote:

I aw a preproduction model in London about July last year. At the time Apple was talking to T-mobile who have a great deal of experience in MVNO's i was contracted to look at feasibility of the network as well as differentiating the products features.

Sadly Apple like you to work in isolation like a terrorist cell that way they can cut you off without you knowing too much.

Please dont get fired.... Anyway nothing personal but im not really an T-mobile fan. Im on o2 with an xda mini s, and I think it would be best for apple to not sell with a carrier. My fear is that carphone warehouse will end up selling the iphone then every 12 year old in the country will have one.
  • Reply 46 of 149
    I currently have a 3 mobile, and it does not have a mobile to pc client.

No one currently offers to my knowledge a mobile to pc video client. Which allows full communication with one fixed broadband connection and one mobile roaming 3g unit.
  • Reply 47 of 149
    Quote:

Im trying to not reveal too much here but..

The camera's sole purpose is not for taking photos, per say...

I was a consultant who has worked for Apple in the UK and also with T-Mobile and I can say without a doubt the camera is not for taking snaps.

Lets just say ichat....and im not simply talking mobile to mobile here!

I have already contirbuted some news to the site a few months ago but because of the litegious nature of my work and also the fact that we would love to work with Apple again i have to be extremely careful.

Wow, if true, this is all sounding like genius! Drooooooool........

(Btw, a bit off the topic, but anyone else think that Steve Jobs should be nominated for a Nobel Prize in economics -- not an entirely nutty idea, since there is no reason why the economics prize could not be given to practitioners rather than just academics).
  • Reply 48 of 149
    Quote:

No one currently offers to my knowledge a mobile to pc video client. Which allows full communication with one fixed broadband connection and one mobile roaming 3g unit.

So Apple would have the whole market to themselves.... After the 3 ,Skype and Google announcement today, Apple need to hurry up and announce this thing
  • Reply 49 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

Wow, if true, this is all sounding like genius! Drooooooool........

(Btw, a bit off the topic, but anyone else think that Steve Jobs should be nominated for a Nobel Prize in economics -- not an entirely nutty idea, since there is no reason why the economics prize could not be given to practitioners rather than just academics).

I want a nobel prize but i wouldnt mind if Jobs gets one either
  • Reply 50 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood

2 megapixels is about average right now, with "better" camera phones featuring 3+ megapixel cameras.

It was good that you put better in quotes. Megapixels are only one small measure of a camera's ability to take good pictures. Adding more megapixels on the same grain of sand that they call a sensor and using the plastic bead they call a lens doesn't yield better quality pictures. Heck, for normal point and shoot cameras, my dad's 8MP doesn't take better pictures than my 3MP camera, it's actually a little worse in several respect. Size and type of sensor, size and type of lense each have as much to do with picture quality as megapixels do. Adding megapixels to a crap image chain doesn't fix the weakest link, therefore won't improve the picture.

In order to get even average quality pictures, it needs to be a camera with a cell phone grafted onto it, not a cell phone with a camera grafted onto it. Better yet, just get a separate camera if the pictures have to be good.
  • Reply 51 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

In order to get even average quality pictures, it needs to be a camera with a cell phone grafted onto it, not a cell phone with a camera grafted onto it.

"Here -- take a picture with my phone -- I've got a call coming in on my camera."

I dunno - this drives me nuts. I've had 3 "camera phones" now, with 2 different carriers, and they all suck in all aspects. Bad coverage, poor reception, poor interface, slow, lousy pictures. I'd trade 99% of what my current "phone" does to simply be able to reliably send & recieve phone calls. I hope Apple puts that at the forefront & doesn't sacrifice actual voice phone quality in order to cheaply cram it full of stupid games & stuff.
  • Reply 52 of 149
    Quote:

I can't imagine it's long before the mobile Skype client does it though.

Good to know Apple were working with UK companies on this though. They obviously know where to go to import some clues into America.
  • Reply 53 of 149
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

I was a consultant who has worked for Apple in the UK and also with T-Mobile and I can say without a doubt the camera is not for taking snaps.

I have already contirbuted some news to the site a few months ago but because of the litegious nature of my work and also the fact that we would love to work with Apple again i have to be extremely careful.

Then they should call it the iChat Buddy! Look-out Skype!
  • Reply 54 of 149
    Quote:

I could believe this... iPhone-to-iPhone video/iPhone-to-iChat video. I'll put my money on this one. Otherwise Apple brings nothing new to the party and they flounder... Holy $#*%... time to load up on Apple stock again!
  • Reply 55 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I could believe this... iPhone-to-iPhone video/iPhone-to-iChat video. I'll put my money on this one. Otherwise Apple brings nothing new to the party and they fail.

That would be nice. That said, Apple doesn't win by bringing out features new to the market, they win by having a generally nicer, more useable product.
  • Reply 56 of 149
    Another wrinkle... iPhone-to-iTV/iPhone-to-YouTube wireless integration.
  • Reply 57 of 149
    If they do bring iChat to mobile video calls then that also implies iChat audio to normal land and mobile phone lines, which would hopefully be via a standard SIP protocol instead of something horrid like Skype.
  • Reply 58 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Welcome to the Skeptical
  • Reply 59 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

That would be nice. That said, Apple doesn't win by bringing out features new to the market, they win by having a generally nicer, more useable product.

I also wonder what they'd do on Windows where there is no iChat. GoogleTalk tie up maybe?
  • Reply 60 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Welcome to the Skeptical

I prefer "Welcome to the anti-social".