Apple's iPhone to arrive in early 2007 with 2MP camera

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

I also wonder what they'd do on Windows where there is no iChat. GoogleTalk tie up maybe?

It would be an incentive to purchase a Mac, I suppose.

Considering the recent inclusion of Apple Software Update with the latest release of iTunes for Windows, though, I expect that the range of software that Apple have available for MS operating systems will be much wider. It doesn't make sense to me to have written a Windows implementation of Software Update just for iTunes and Quicktime.
  • Reply 62 of 149
    That's an interesting observation. So maybe iChat is coming to Windows with the iPhone?
  • Reply 63 of 149
    Quote:

It doesn't make sense to me to have written a Windows implementation of Software Update just for iTunes and Quicktime.

This lends weight to the observation made in numerous Star Wars films: "It's blowing up... from the inside!"
  • Reply 64 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I prefer "Welcome to the anti-social".

You're not far off with that statement. Matt jubelirer (product manager of zune).
  • Reply 65 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

You're not far off with that statement. Matt jubelirer (product manager of zune).

What a Zune maroon!
  • Reply 66 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

probably because too much of america wants to say, "Look at that, so cool! *OMGOMGOMG*, lets take a PIXSHURE!"

• Reply 67 of 149
    Quote:

I also wonder what they'd do on Windows where there is no iChat. GoogleTalk tie up maybe?

iChat runs on the AIM network so there's already a Windows client. Adding Google makes sense as a way to expand compatibility.

I can say from experience that it's almost impossible to sell an iSight camera or really push the built-in iSight in current Macs to people who want to chat with friends and relatives in Europe. Seemingly everyone there is on MSN and regards AIM / iChat as some weird American thing that nobody uses. That fact could hold back iPhone sales in Europe because nobody is going to rush out and buy a product that's incompatible with their IM network.
  • Reply 68 of 149
    To all of you getting my hopes up and my tinfoil hat in a bunch: damn you!

Now, tell me more...
  • Reply 69 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I prefer "Welcome to the anti-social".

I prefer "Welcome to the social disease".
  • Reply 70 of 149
    plusplus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v

"Here -- take a picture with my phone -- I've got a call coming in on my camera."

I dunno - this drives me nuts. I've had 3 "camera phones" now, with 2 different carriers, and they all suck in all aspects. Bad coverage, poor reception, poor interface, slow, lousy pictures. I'd trade 99% of what my current "phone" does to simply be able to reliably send & recieve phone calls.

Ayup. Camera phones: The picture quality of a phone, and the voice quality of a camera.
  • Reply 71 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad

I can say from experience that it's almost impossible to sell an iSight camera or really push the built-in iSight in current Macs to people who want to chat with friends and relatives in Europe. Seemingly everyone there is on MSN and regards AIM / iChat as some weird American thing that nobody uses. That fact could hold back iPhone sales in Europe because nobody is going to rush out and buy a product that's incompatible with their IM network.

You betcha. AIM is about as popular here as baseball.
  • Reply 72 of 149
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v

"Here -- take a picture with my phone -- I've got a call coming in on my camera."

I dunno - this drives me nuts. I've had 3 "camera phones" now, with 2 different carriers, and they all suck in all aspects. Bad coverage, poor reception, poor interface, slow, lousy pictures. I'd trade 99% of what my current "phone" does to simply be able to reliably send & recieve phone calls. I hope Apple puts that at the forefront & doesn't sacrifice actual voice phone quality in order to cheaply cram it full of stupid games & stuff.

I feel like this is a network issue, not a phone issue. Japan has an absolutely rock-solid mobile network and they've got phones that leave the newest US models in the dust in terms of features. The hardware can only do so much to make up for crappy network coverage.
  • Reply 73 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain

To all of you getting my hopes up and my tinfoil hat in a bunch: damn you!

Now, tell me more...

Tinfoil Hat Brain Firewall Not So Secure After All!!!
  • Reply 74 of 149
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm looking forward to the 2mp camera phone it's definetly better than the vga crap I currently have. At first I thought a camera phone was useless but it comes in handy....with girls. They love that shit.
  • Reply 75 of 149
    while i can see the ichat idea being huge for over 3G networks i dont really think video will become ubiquitos on phones until we like start working on 4G...some time in the future.

as the phones aren't being released until february or so i think that maybe the major conept apple is working with here is wimax. it will still have a carrier for phone calls on the go and then the ichat will be in place over wimax for use when people are sitting and comfortable in a place to use it (somewhere with a stable wifi/wimax service).

bottom line is that smartz got most of drooling and apple has that ability. i learned about it in my econ 103 class. its called "demand" or something that. i think they would do just fine if they just released it in the US to all the teens and tweens who "need it". i dont know if this is an answer to poor service or poor hardware of bad phones. i think they are bypassing that and attacking the problem of "i really want to be able to see who I'm talking to".

They created unseen demand with the ipod and i see them doing it again. i watched the old ipod commercial on youtube the other day. people didnt even realize they wanted/needed an mp3 player until they saw the ipod. and then "i need that".

so the bottom is line is that apple is brilliant in instilling the..."oh jesus i need that, and i will tell all my friends they do to" feeling in people. they will sell a lot of these.
  • Reply 76 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

as the phones aren't being released until february or so i think that maybe the major conept apple is working with here is wimax. it will still have a carrier for phone calls on the go and then the ichat will be in place over wimax for use when people are sitting and comfortable in a place to use it (somewhere with a stable wifi/wimax service).

We have it already in the UK and France. It was called UMA but now it's called GAN. If your phone is compatible it hands off between Bluetooth, GPRS and WiFi communications depending on where you are. If you're at home near your Bluetooth base station or wifi router, it works as a VoIP handset. Outside it's a GSM GPRS/3G mobile, in a wifi hotspot it uses that. You can walk between each signal and it seamlessly switches.

WiMAX just takes the wifi signal one step further by increasing range.
  • Reply 77 of 149
    Data in Canada is outrageously over-priced. We are talking $100 for 200MB data then $5/MB over that. This is the best offer! Rogers/Fido just raised prices. So doing 3g video on an iPhone would run into the tens of thousands. 10 minute call would be $50+.
  • Reply 78 of 149
    Quote:

We have it already in the UK and France. It was called UMA but now it's called GAN. If your phone is compatible it hands off between Bluetooth, GPRS and WiFi communications depending on where you are. If you're at home near your Bluetooth base station or wifi router, it works as a VoIP handset. Outside it's a GSM GPRS/3G mobile, in a wifi hotspot it uses that. You can walk between each signal and it seamlessly switches.

WiMAX just takes the wifi signal one step further by increasing range.

im not that familiar yet with cellular technology. Do we use this technology in the states? i was under the assumption that cell phones just used a cell network and i still havent bought one because of it. it would be brilliant if phones did make all the hand offs.

do we now when are US cities going to implement wimax? or is it going to be a private sector thing. im really new at all this stuff.
  • Reply 79 of 149
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobthenob

Oh God -- I hope this isn't true. I HATE camera phones. Just a really dumb concept. Instead why not concentrate on making a rock-solid phone with super long battery life, superior voice quality, and can hold a signal in an elevator or sub-basement?

They have one very important use - taking pictures when you have a car accident. You always have your phone with you, so it is usually the only camera there.

Don't forget to photograph everything like I did, it was a $10K mistake for my insurance company to swallow (and $1K for me, combined with a switch of insurance company to avoid a bump in premiums).
  • Reply 80 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

im not that familiar yet with cellular technology. Do we use this technology in the states? i was under the assumption that cell phones just used a cell network and i still havent bought one because of it. it would be brilliant if phones did make all the hand offs.

T-Mobile are trialling it in Seattle apparently - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlicensed_Mobile_Access