Apple releases Apple Remote Desktop 3.1

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday released a significant update to its network-based desktop management system, Apple Remote Desktop, which addresses numerous issues related to the overall reliability, usability and compatibility.

Version 3.1 of the software (2.5MB client, 28MB admin) includes a Universal Binary updater application that will upgrade Apple Remote Desktop 3.0 installations on Intel- or PowerPC-based Macintosh computers running Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.

Apple recommends that Apple Remote Desktop version 3.1 Clients be managed only by Apple Remote Desktop version 3.1 Administration software. "Please ensure that have upgraded your Apple Remote Desktop Administration software to version 3.1 before upgrading your clients," the company said.

A full list of improvements in the new version, recommended for all users, follows:

Software distribution

Install Package task now supports installing Apple Installer packages that have packages outside the .mpkg

Addresses issues when copying files to root ("/") on PowerPC clients

Copy Items task now correctly supports copying of files with aliases

Asset management

PCI Reports now called Expansion Card Reports

Software reports now also report architecture type of applications

System Information Report can now report on Lights Out Management configuration and settings

Administration Settings Report can now report on Lights Out Management settings

Application Usage Reports no longer allows for a start date to be later than the end date

You can now drag computer lists and computers into the the Remote Spotlight Search window

Remote control

You can now power on an Xserve with Lights Out Management

Send UNIX panel now correctly focuses cursor in the script field

Enter key now invokes the Send button in Send UNIX panel

The Lock Screen and Curtain Mode tasks can now display custom lock screen images

Send UNIX task no longer has limits on length of commands/scripts being sent to client computers

Remote assistance

Improved support for using right mouse buttons to invoke contextual menus

When performing a drag-and-drop copy, Apple Remote Desktop will now prompt you if a same-named item already exists in the location

Improved compatibility with third-party VNC viewers and servers

Addresses an issue that could cause video to be displayed improperly when sharing screens

Control/observe toolbars now retain their settings correctly

Automation

Copy Items action now also works with computer lists

AppleScript dictionary now includes support for Power On task for Xserves with Lights Out Management

Workflows that include Choose Remote Computer and Choose Computer List actions now properly retain their settings when they are re-opened

Using the "copy to me" task in AppleScript no longer cause the application to unexpectedly quit

Execute AppleScript action now correctly handles quotes in the input

AppleScript no longer sends extra quotes in the results of a Send UNIX task

AppleScript now correctly interprets Install Package tasks that use a Task Server

Other

Network scanners now support Bonjour-only discovery of Apple Remote Desktop and VNC-enabled client computers

Get Info panel now supports setting username and password for the Xserves Lights Out Management

Computer lists can now display the Lights Out Management status of Xserves

Addresses issue of Smart Computer Lists occasionally clearing out entries in other computer lists

Apple Remote Desktop now correctly recognizes users that login using Active Directory account with machine administration rights

kickstart can now correctly configure clients for VNC access

Resolves an issue when the client idle time in computer lists reported thousands of hours

Computers that have multiple network interfaces can now be used as Task Servers

Addresses issues in which IP addresses could occasionally be displayed inverted

Resolves the issue of not being able to include individual icons for the Sleep/Wake/Restart/Shutdown on your toolbar

Addresses an issue with computers disappearing form smart computer lists after quitting the Apple Remote Desktop application

If System Preferences has been restricted from opening, the Remote Desktop menu extra will now not allow launching of System Preferences

Addressees an issue in which task items could occasinally be dimmed ("grayed out")

Support for administrators that are in more than 14 groups

The Installed RAM column of computer lists no longer rounds up values

Authenticating using directory services based accounts no longer conflicts with mobile accounts in Active Directory

Authenticating using directory services can now be throttled to minimize load on directory servers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Holy Crud!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Apple is finally getting those XServes out the door.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Version 3 was a quantum leap over 2 in features AND bugs.

Hopefully 3.1 will bring ARD to the level of stability that 2 had.

Truly a killer app if you need to manage more than a few Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Even 3.0 was much more stable than 2.x ever was - for me anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL

Even 3.0 was much more stable than 2.x ever was - for me anyway.

Maybe I just got a defective copy?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm waiting for a recording to end before I restart the computer. I hope it fixes the mouse pointer. When connecting to my Mac Pro, all the black parts if the mouse pointer aren't shown, instead, I see through the black parts. The only part of the pointer I see is white, and it's annoying and hard to use because it's often invisible over white areas of a screen.

I still think it would be nice if Apple offered an "Express" version of ARD like they offer an Express or reduced version of much of their other software. I think I would buy it if it's better than the regular VNC clients and if it would fall back to just VNC when connecting to non-Apple machines.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I hope it fixes the mouse pointer. When connecting to my Mac Pro, all the black parts if the mouse pointer aren't shown, instead, I see through the black parts. The only part of the pointer I see is white, and it's annoying and hard to use because it's often invisible over white areas of a screen.

Addendum: there's no change with respect to this problem.