Apple's iPhone to arrive in early 2007 with 2MP camera

Comments

• Reply 81 of 149
    That decides the Nokia N95 for me. It's 5MP, carl zeiss lens, autofocus with GPS mapping for 100 countries and 3.5G HSPDA. Out March 2007.
  • Reply 82 of 149
    So what do you think....If a nano is $299 how about $499 for the phone....What mobile operator?
  • Reply 83 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

T-Mobile are trialling it in Seattle apparently - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlicensed_Mobile_Access

Nice catch. Sure signs that Apple is going to be going this way... if there even is an iPhone...
  • Reply 84 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Who likes this one?:

• Reply 85 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

im not that familiar yet with cellular technology. Do we use this technology in the states? i was under the assumption that cell phones just used a cell network and i still havent bought one because of it. it would be brilliant if phones did make all the hand offs.

do we now when are US cities going to implement wimax? or is it going to be a private sector thing. im really new at all this stuff.

1) Someone who knows this stuff please tell us -- do we in the US use "cells" anymore, or is that term a bit archaic? (The rest of the world calls it "mobile"; the US seems to be only place where people use the term "cellular.").

2) US cities and WiMax? We'll have to wait until all those lawsuits fied by all those lawyers employed by all those atavistic service providers have had their day.

A great deal of the rest of the world is so far ahead on this stuff that it sucks.....
  • Reply 86 of 149
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

1) Someone who knows this stuff please tell us -- do we in the US use "cells" anymore,

Yes.

Quote:

or is that term a bit archaic?

No.

Quote:

A great deal of the rest of the world is so far ahead on this stuff that it sucks.....

Like in Germany, with their bullshit "Handy" term?
  • Reply 87 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Short for "Hand-Telefon" IIRC. At least it says what it means unlike 'cell phone' which is techno gibberish to most people.
  • Reply 88 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Short for "Hand-Telefon" IIRC. At least it says what it means unlike 'cell phone' which is techno gibberish to most people.

Then why is it pronounced in pseudo-English?
  • Reply 89 of 149
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Maybe a 2MP camera they went with, is MUCH smaller than a 3MP?
  • Reply 90 of 149
    Quote:

Then why is it pronounced in pseudo-English?

It's short for an even longer word in typical German language style where they bash words together to form an even longer word.

I dunno. They like David Hasselhof too so it's not like they pick English over American.
  • Reply 91 of 149
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    APPLE, PLEASE:

Make it a SmartPhone with buit-in Mac OS X mobile.

Then the possibilities for this iPhone would be FANTASTIC!!!
  • Reply 92 of 149
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    Steve Jobs said at the last Keynote he did that Leopard would bring front row to all existing PowerPC ranges. I'm wondering whether I will be able to control my Mac amazingly with the Bluetooth on this phone- Just throwing it out there for the taking!

BenJ
  • Reply 93 of 149
    Quote:

Yes.

No.

Thanks. I guess. (Didn't help clarify a great deal, thanks to the pithiness of your comments).

Also, it seems to me that there is a rather advanced "mobile" world that is a tad more geographically wider than Germany (e.g., Asia, for starters).
  • Reply 94 of 149
    Quote:

Thanks. I guess. (Didn't help clarify a great deal, thanks to the pithiness of your comments).

"Cell", "cells", "cellphone" and "cellphones" are all terms I frequently hear Americans use.

I agree that "mobile phone" is more logical than "cellphone", but that has little bearing. "Cellphone" has become so common that everyone understands what it means; the technical background is irrelevant.

Quote:

Also, it seems to me that there is a rather advanced "mobile" world that is a tad more geographically wider than Germany (e.g., Asia, for starters).

I wouldn't consider English the primary language of Asians.
  • Reply 95 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Le Bugatti Veyron

I was thinking the exact same thing a few weeks ago. There is no way at the moment to video chat between a a computer and a phone... Also Apple put alot of focus on ichat and it seems to make sense that they will have this secret feature which your revealing.

ichat on your phone and computer is not only genius but its soooo apple.......

no one would use it at $1 or more a min with out a data plan.
  • Reply 96 of 149
    OK... APPL shares hit an all-time high today - and now after Smartz' post and the subsequent follow-ups, now my heart rate has hit an all-time high. If this phone becomes real with PC<->Mobile video chat then I, along with 90% of my friends and family, WILL buy this device in a rapidly increasing heartbeat.
  • Reply 97 of 149
    Quote:

The term "cellphone" actually does make sense. Originally cellular networks were made of 6 sided geographical "cells" that looked like a soccer ball. Each cell touched to another cell in densely populated areas and patches of cells in less populated areas such as interstates. Over time as technology improved most of the existing cells were enlarged causing overlaps in cells which allowed carriers to more easily transfer phone calls between towers, now those towers have been upgraded for digital information.

The term cellular network comes from this "old" way of doing things. A cell-phone was a phone that worked on a cellular network. It makes sense, and most of it we still use. Hopefully with the advent of WiMAX mobile carriers in the US will finally get their butts in gear and actually keep up with technology. The problem in the US is that people still use their landline phones predominantly.
  • Reply 98 of 149
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood

2 megapixels is about average right now, with "better" camera phones featuring 3+ megapixel cameras.

The quality of the lens will be more important, I think.
  • Reply 99 of 149
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I just hope it comes in brown with black buttons and a slight green tinge at the edges!!
  • Reply 100 of 149
    Quote:

Yes.

No.

so its ok for you to rip on the germans about their language, but not for someone on another thread to rip on the french?

nice consistency