Apple developing "mechanical overlay" touch interface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why have the devices interface through the trackpad? Why not just a USB port like anything else? They can still sit on top of the computer.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Conceptually, this is much cooler than it appears to be. What Apple has done is much more than listed a few new(?) input devices, because:

1) They have actually identified the lowest common denominator for most super-popular gizmos today – a base unit for computers, cell phones, iPods, remote controls, game controllers, PSP:s etc. , and

2) They have shown that they can produce such base units (of different sizes and shapes), and leave the rest as cheap and customizable add-ons.

This is taking a mathematical mode of procedure and applying it to product development, and it's brilliant. Maybe there won't be any direct gizmo-spawning out of this, but surely there will be lots of indirect advancements in current product lines.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Feck that, this is what you want:

Apple patented that a few years ago.

and a pic i posted a few months ago
  • Reply 24 of 57
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Do people really not get the point of this?

In the end I don't think this application will stand. There are many companies designing along these lines and there should be plenty of prior art around.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It actually sounds like a huge amount of things can be done with this but my only worry is how reliable it would be. Everything touch sensitive I've ever used has been unreliable. To make a touch pad the entire size of a keyboard and expect it to work properly over years of use is risky.

Also, when you can just plug in a USB device that does the same thing but probably cheaper because it doesn't have to be specially made for one brand/model of notebook, it doesn't make sense to do this.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gilliam Bates

Conceptually, this is much cooler than it appears to be. What Apple has done is much more than listed a few new(?) input devices, because:

1) They have actually identified the lowest common denominator for most super-popular gizmos today ? a base unit for computers, cell phones, iPods, remote controls, game controllers, PSP:s etc. , and

2) They have shown that they can produce such base units (of different sizes and shapes), and leave the rest as cheap and customizable add-ons.

This is taking a mathematical mode of procedure and applying it to product development, and it's brilliant. Maybe there won't be any direct gizmo-spawning out of this, but surely there will be lots of indirect advancements in current product lines.

Interesting perspective. I see multifunctional user configurable UI's becoming a big thing down the line, and Apple do seem to be increasingly better placed to becoming a big player with the way the iPod has developed, the likely iPhone and Intel's low thermal processing power.

I love Macs, but branching out in the right places is the way for this Apple tree to grow as proven by the little Pod that could. Especially if the OS essentials can be maintained as needed in all of Apple's future products, seeing as Moore's Law is steadily taking us in the direction of ubiquitous computing...

His original paper's art by the way. Computers: for sale, at a counter!? A shocking idea at the time!

Apple have the inventiveness and the design instincts to lead the charge into great new directions. Just keep our Macs coming so we have something to hub everything together with. 8)
  • Reply 27 of 57
    It would be a good idea if Korg, Roland or Contour could license to make music and video production control surfaces.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It actually sounds like a huge amount of things can be done with this but my only worry is how reliable it would be. Everything touch sensitive I've ever used has been unreliable. To make a touch pad the entire size of a keyboard and expect it to work properly over years of use is risky.

Also, when you can just plug in a USB device that does the same thing but probably cheaper because it doesn't have to be specially made for one brand/model of notebook, it doesn't make sense to do this.

Why would you worry? Let Steve do it.

"George E. Gerpheide invented the touchpad in 1988. Apple Computer licensed his design and first used it in its PowerBook notebook computers in 1994. Since then, the touchpad has become the most common cursor control device for notebook computers."

And as usual, in 1994 the naysayers came out roaring. Just like in 1984 when the Mac was introduced. Mouse. 3.5 floppy. Trash can. GUI.

As for this new filling, this is not like the 'simple' touch pad that we have available today. Significantly more comprehensive, complicated and sensitive. Obviously, the positioning and securing of mechanical attachments is paramount.

What is amazing about this concept is the prospect of 1) creating "hot-swappable mechanical control interfaces," which are usually the least expensive component of electronic instrumentation, 2) using the Mac laptop's powerful internal processor/quality-controlledhardware/screen and 3) probably the most significant, the Mac OS.

Why not just USB the device? Steve hates wires. Seriously, this creates a paradigm of new business opportunities for third-party developers. Like the iPod did, being able create the mechanical interfaces and the software to run them using the built-in Mac or Microsoft OS in a quality controlled Apple box will undoubtedly enhance the development of more products.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry

It would be a good idea if Korg, Roland or Contour could license to make music and video production control surfaces.

Not sure if they would need to license anything. What would stop them from outright purchasing the iBrick as I refer to it, afixing their control surfaces and preloading or even hardcoding the necessary software. As such, most of us would just connect our external keyboard and use it like any other computer.

"Mac inside of everything"
  • Reply 30 of 57
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

This is not necessarily significant to any theorized future products. I can't see any advantages other than from a manufacturing standpoint.

You could have a multi-function device (like a game controller with custom controls that are included in the game package).

My S-E P800 phone does this for the keyboard input, each button presses the touchscreen behind it (and leaves a mark, so the bottom half of the touchscreen has a grid of dents on it).
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

However many times I've read this patent it still seizes to amaze me.

Well don't have a seizure. I think you mean, "...ceases to amaze me." 8)
  • Reply 32 of 57
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

Why have the devices interface through the trackpad? Why not just a USB port like anything else? They can still sit on top of the computer.

Yes, or some other port protocol.

It's not precisely clear what existing problem is being solved with this invention.

If we figure that out though, we should be onto something...

I think that it could solve software configuration problems, user identification problems, space problems...

though i don't really know how it could be better at this than an electronic protocol...

Maybe it reduces the costs and powering problems of an electroninc interface...

added devices could be totally mechanical.

As a promotional action, Mac Donalds could add a little plastic game controller to their Big Mac menu + a download code for a specific game fetchable via iTunes, that starts up right when your Mc Donalds controller is recognized on your touchpad.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Well don't have a seizure. I think you mean, "...ceases to amaze me." 8)

Odder is that he said "_still_ seizes to amaze me". If repeatedly seeing the patent still ceases to amaze him, doesn't bode well for apple's fancy gadget, I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    It'd be pretty difficult to close the laptop with that joystick poking up out of it.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

Seems like the future might be that you just buy a Mac OS XBrick Pro, with for example, a 10, 12, 15, or 17 inch screen and a bare, equally corresponding fully sized multipurpose touch interface. From there, you select your own keyboard configuration or other mechanical controller from Apple or other manufacturers, that with the appropriate software turns your machine from a standard laptop into a professional instrument.

These are tantalizing assumptions. What if the consumer electronics of the future includes a stereolithographic (3D) printer? You could customize or buy a predesigned control surface/template and then just "print" your own computing solution...
  • Reply 36 of 57
    And for the desktop users...
    1. Apple buys or enters into a deal with Wacom

2. They create a bluetooth Wacom tablet with removable overlays

3. Each overlay has an embedded RFID chip that identifies it to the tablet and computer

4. Apple insists on including an open standard Plug-In interface for others to develop both overlays and software to take advantage of it

• Reply 37 of 57
    I love this idea. Thousands of possibilities for software developers. Hopefully we'll get far past these limited input binary type devices. More pressure sensitive and responsive inputs. This is just the beginning of customizability of devices.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    People seem so focused on the track pad. Apple needs to cover their ass and yet not giveaway keys to the kingdom. Not long ago we all wondered how they may make the no touch touch screen into a product. Now everybody is dreaming of a full screen iPod. Just think about how great the video will look a few months from now after we've all been rubbing our mitts across the thing with some sort of a skin.

Now we hear about a skin and can't fathom the value. I'm trusting Apple to have sepnt a good deal of time on the details. Not to say they never make mistakes but they get it right a lot more often than wrong. Remember the hype 5 years ago about a product announcement that would change our lives and the utter disappointment when all the did was launch "just another MP3 player." Many thought Steve had blown all his credibility by pushing a me too product on us and expecting that just because they are Apple we should go along. What has happened since then can only make Steve's prognostications seem like an understatement.

I wait with open expectations for lots of cool new things and I'm only sorry we won't see all the things that never emerge. Apple has delighted me over and over again for over 2 decades and it's only getting better now that the tech is chatching up with the creativeness.

MW
  • Reply 39 of 57
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Consider this: It could also be for desktop displays.

Approach this from the display side instead of an input peripheral perspective. Apps could enhance their tool-bar/status-bar by making a plastic sheet with holes that clips onto the touch sensitive display.

Useful? Who knows. But as the average monitor size gets larger and larger, we will dream up more things to do with our displays. Marginally useful things will start getting their own screen real estate.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by web proofing

I love this idea. Thousands of possibilities for software developers. Hopefully we'll get far past these limited input binary type devices. More pressure sensitive and responsive inputs. This is just the beginning of customizability of devices.

How about an Adobe Mac? Looking at the bottom left half of fig 14, there is a keyboard with a secondary screen. Perhaps there you could have all the related technical windows, toolbars or a touchup/drawing-editor. Even a Wacom-embedded tablet.

Must be some way we could all make money here.