Installing Kernel Extension (asking you so I don't fook my mac)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, here's the deal: I installed the dashboard widget iStat (very cool program btw), but for it to be able to monitor the fan and temp of my laptop, it requires the Speedit kernel extension.

I don't want to needlessly mess with the kernel so I'm coming back to you all as the guy who went from savvy PC user to clueless Mac user overnight. How the heck do I install this? I have two files that are called "Install.sh" and "uninstall/sh" along with "speedit.kext". The sh files opened like text and contain the following:

--Install.sh--

chmod -R 755 speedit.kext

chown -R root:wheel speedit.kext

kextload speedit.kext

sync;sync;sync

--uninstall.sh--

kextunload speedit.kext

rm -rf speedit.kext

I searched google for a bit and found that I need to use the terminal (I think), and learned a little about what the terminal is . Looks like Unix. Too bad I'm clueless on Unix as well.

I'm reluctant to type anything into that before I know for sure that I'm doing the right thing, so if you all know how to do this, and I have a feeling that you do, I could use some help.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I went to a ZDNet page here , read some more from the help program in terminal, and decided to give it a shot. unfortunately after trying to load it I got this message:

kextload: extension speedit.kext appears to be valid

kextload: loading extension speedit.kext

kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension speedit.kext

I'm in the folder where the speedit.kext file resides (just checked again with "ls"), so I'm not sure what dependencies it would need.

Has anyone loaded this successfully that could possibly shed some light on this?

I'm hoping it is just a simple thing that I am overlooking since this is my first foray into Terminal.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

I don't want to needlessly mess with the kernel

Kernel extensions are like plug-ins. If you load them at startup, it can crash the system but that script doesn't install it where it can do that. If it did, you can safe boot holding shift to disable it to allow you to remove it.

Quote:

How the heck do I install this? I have two files that are called "Install.sh" and "uninstall/sh" along with "speedit.kext". The sh files opened like text and contain the following:

--Install.sh--

chmod -R 755 speedit.kext

chown -R root:wheel speedit.kext

kextload speedit.kext

sync;sync;sync

The shell script should run when you double-click it but you may need to set execute permissions on it. You can execute each line individually too. The first line gives speedit.kext the ability to execute. The second makes it run as root. The third loads it and sync seems to flush all the hard drive writes. Normally kexts are copied to either /System/Library/extensions or /Library/extensions but this one doesn't so I think you'd have to run kextload speedit.kext after every reboot.

Quote:

I'm in the folder where the speedit.kext file resides (just checked again with "ls"), so I'm not sure what dependencies it would need.

Instead of kextload speedit.kext, type kextload -i speedit.kext and this may give you an idea as to what dependencies it is expecting. If you want to try and load it without dependencies, try kextload -ntZ speedit.kext
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Kernel extensions are like plug-ins. If you load them at startup, it can crash the system but that script doesn't install it where it can do that. If it did, you can safe boot holding shift to disable it to allow you to remove it.

The shell script should run when you double-click it but you may need to set execute permissions on it. You can execute each line individually too. The first line gives speedit.kext the ability to execute. The second makes it run as root. The third loads it and sync seems to flush all the hard drive writes. Normally kexts are copied to either /System/Library/extensions or /Library/extensions but this one doesn't so I think you'd have to run kextload speedit.kext after every reboot.

Instead of kextload speedit.kext, type kextload -i speedit.kext and this may give you an idea as to what dependencies it is expecting. If you want to try and load it without dependencies, try kextload -ntZ speedit.kext

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, it's still not going well. When I type sudo kextload -i speeedit.kext I get this:

-------------------------------------------------

Load extension speedit.kext and its dependencies [Y/n]? y

kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension speedit.kext

The documentation only gives this instruction:

Installation

there are two options, use the Complete Package installer or

Un-archive the speeditv.05.zip to your desire folder

open a terminal and navigate to the desire folder

type:

>sudo ./install.sh

for uninstall type

>sudo ./uninstall.sh

What are the risks of installing without the dependencies (using kextload -ntZ speedit.kext)?

Has ANYONE successfully installed this extension that can let me know if I'm just being a complete bonehead?

I have a new Core2 Duo MBP, so I've got the Intel inside (as they say). So that shouldn't be a problem unless it is only for Core Duos and not Core2.

I'm so confused right now. On the plus side, I'm learning lots about terminal \
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks to all who replied. I just got it sussed out.

Got this answer from the InCrew forums (someone else was having the same problem):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to be in the right directory and maybe first you should type sudo -s

To go to the right directory, type: cd and drag your expanded folder to the terminal window, then press enter

and now drag your install.sh file into the terminal, it should work

Good luck

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It installed just fine. So... yeah, looks like I was being a bonehead

I thought I changed the dir before, but this way worked better.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

It installed just fine. So... yeah, looks like I was being a bonehead

I thought I changed the dir before, but this way worked better.

I'm just about at my wit's end here. I'm trying to deal with this in both this and the InCrew forums, but keep running into problems .

It supposedly worked since I got the "kextload: speedit.kext loaded successfully" message, but when I go to my iStat widget... I still have no temp or fan information (the whole reason I've been trying to install this thing).

I've looked at it directly after installing, and after restart with the same results. I also Checked the extensions folder where it supposedly (according to the InCrew forums) supposed to move the kext file. It was not there, so I even tried moving it there myself with no result.

So... yeah... I'm taking a break from this crap for a little while to clear my head. If anyone has any ideas or has installed this extension and had it work for iStat (pro or nano), feel free to add your input. I'll probably check back tomorrow.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    funklord

did u finally make it work or r u using another app to measure core temp?

about to start messing with the kernel extensions but don't feel like messing up my system

running an brand new macbook intel duo core.

thx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord View Post

I'm just about at my wit's end here. I'm trying to deal with this in both this and the InCrew forums, but keep running into problems .

It supposedly worked since I got the "kextload: speedit.kext loaded successfully" message, but when I go to my iStat widget... I still have no temp or fan information (the whole reason I've been trying to install this thing).

I've looked at it directly after installing, and after restart with the same results. I also Checked the extensions folder where it supposedly (according to the InCrew forums) supposed to move the kext file. It was not there, so I even tried moving it there myself with no result.

So... yeah... I'm taking a break from this crap for a little while to clear my head. If anyone has any ideas or has installed this extension and had it work for iStat (pro or nano), feel free to add your input. I'll probably check back tomorrow.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gremlok View Post

funklord

did u finally make it work or r u using another app to measure core temp?

about to start messing with the kernel extensions but don't feel like messing up my system

running an brand new macbook intel duo core.

thx

The latest version of iStat pro recognizes the temps just fine without any messing around.