iMac memory upgrade problem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just upgraded the user slot RAM in my iMac but in doing so I broke off the two movable plastic thingies that hold the memory card in the user slot. The card is in the slot but sort of dangles and I assume that it rests against the bottom plate of the iMac. The RAM upgrade seems to work fine, however. Any long term consequences here? Anyone else broken off those little clips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Assuming the iMac is similar to other Macs, the two movable plastic thingies are the ejectors that help to remove the DIMM, should you ever need to replace it. I'm surprised the DIMM dangles even without the ejectors, as most are a fairly tight fit and fairly rigid. I guess it is pushed all the way in (and the memory is recognised by the Apple System Profiler)? Normally you push it until the ejectors spring all the way up and clip it in.

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    No these are little clips that hold it down.

One problem might be that if you move the iMac it will fall out. Maybe some read/write errors.

See if there's a way for the cage to hold down the RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>No these are little clips that hold it down.

One problem might be that if you move the iMac it will fall out. Maybe some read/write errors.

See if there's a way for the cage to hold down the RAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Scott,

I sort of figured the same thing. Fortunately I don't really move my iMac that much. And if I do start getting weird errors I know the first place I'll look.

What is the cage? I considered just running a piece of tape over the memory chip, but had second thoughts. Right now it seems to work okay so I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My Rev C iMac (lime tray loading) has a cage over the CPU daughter card. If I remember the upper ram card is flush against this. So ... maybe that could hold it down?

It gets very hot in there so anything like tape would burn up. If I think of something better I'll post back.