Apple preps for "Black Friday" holiday bonanza

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer is gearing up to launch its annual "Black Friday" sale next week, in which it will offer price cuts on various Mac and iPod products in a 24-hour bid to usher in the holiday shopping season with a bang.

The one day event extends from the company's online store to its national retail chain.

Last year's sale included a $101 savings on iMac G5s and iBook G4s, as well as $30 discounts on JBL On Stage iPod Speakers and $20 savings on JBL Creature II Speakers.

Similarly, Apple offered $100 off select Shure Sound Isolating Earphones, and $30 off its AirPort Express and iSight products. It also offered $5 discounts on select iPod accessories and price cuts on some software titles.

About the same time Apple kicks-off its Black Friday festivities, the company is expected to announce "holiday store hours" at many of its retail locations. Unlike the Black Friday sale, the extended hours of operation will run through the entire holiday shopping season.

The Mac maker will also be sprucing up its retail store window displays and handing out attractive print copies of its "Holiday Gift Guide," showcasing its most popular iPods, Macs and accessories.

On Thursday, the company briefly took its Apple Store offline to make changes to the online version of this years gift guide, displaying it more prominently to web shoppers.

Traditionally, Apple has pre-announced plans for its Black Friday bonanzas but kept specific discounts and sale items a secret until the day of the sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I wonder if we will be able to place orders at the sale price for the 17" MBP C2D if they don't have any in stock?

I'm probably dreaming...
  • Reply 2 of 28
    this sale is always crap. and, the prices aren't even as good as places like Amazon, for example.

hype.

"Black Friday"+Apple=Lame.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Are the discounts stacked on top of student discounts ever?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tblack

Are the discounts stacked on top of student discounts ever?

negative
  • Reply 5 of 28
    The fact that Apple can take off 100-200 for their computers to students means their profit margins are really really high, meaning sell your computers for less damnit!

But in their defence in the last year or so they've gotten pretty competitive with the iMac
  • Reply 6 of 28
    uh, holiday hours are up already: http://www.apple.com/retail/holidayhours/
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by undergroundninja

uh, holiday hours are up already: http://www.apple.com/retail/holidayhours/

Gee, ya think Apple could have posted this information in a friendlier way?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Gee, ya think Apple could have posted this information in a friendlier way?

you're right. it's comical, really, coming from a company that embraces graphic design and effective user interfaces. go figure.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham

you're right. it's comical, really, coming from a company that embraces graphic design and effective user interfaces. go figure.

My EYES!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Maybe they're trying to make it seem like they have 6372659835838258325 stores.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ha ha
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Maybe now I will be able to afford an ipod. The problem is that Mac computers do not usually get big discounts...

---------

http://www.mostofmymac.com
  • Reply 13 of 28
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I wish canada had a black friday.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Why are all the stores closed on November 23?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Thanksgiving. Here in the States it's the holiday that's celebrated by a 2 day orgy of consumption. The first day (Thursday) everything shuts down so that people can gather with families and friends and gorge themselves on roast fowl, jellied cranberries, mashed potatoes, and disgustingly sweet yams with marshmallows. The second day (black Friday), traditionally marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. Retail outlets typically will offset the time off/goodwill extended to their employees the previous day by opening at the butt crack of dawn for the onslaught of angry shoppers looking for a few dollars off of the latest toys and trinkets for their spoiled brats. Fistfights over the last available Tickle Me Elmo or other garbage are not uncommon, in spite of the fact that most of these toys will be discarded or tossed in a corner a few short months later. God, can we please just skip ahead to January?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    You forgot about the travel nightmare on Wednesday night. - That's when the all the kids return home to be with said families.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Will there be additional discounts on refurbished products as well?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

The fact that Apple can take off 100-200 for their computers to students means their profit margins are really really high, meaning sell your computers for less damnit!

But in their defence in the last year or so they've gotten pretty competitive with the iMac

You are aware that Apple is a publically owned company, with shareholders right?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VideoGeek

Thanksgiving. Here in the States it's the holiday that's celebrated by a 2 day orgy of consumption. The first day (Thursday) everything shuts down so that people can gather with families and friends and gorge themselves on roast fowl, jellied cranberries, mashed potatoes, and disgustingly sweet yams with marshmallows. The second day (black Friday), traditionally marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. Retail outlets typically will offset the time off/goodwill extended to their employees the previous day by opening at the butt crack of dawn for the onslaught of angry shoppers looking for a few dollars off of the latest toys and trinkets for their spoiled brats. Fistfights over the last available Tickle Me Elmo or other garbage are not uncommon, in spite of the fact that most of these toys will be discarded or tossed in a corner a few short months later. God, can we please just skip ahead to January?

ROFL. When I was in San Fran Bay Area for about 3 years, once or twice we had "vagabond Thanksgiving" for those away from their families - we'd go to a friend's place and cook up a storm (well my friends at least, I just brought some booze) and stay overnight because everyone's too drunk and too full with food to even move by the end of the day. Ah, memories.

I might get sick of Thanksgiving if it was full-on every year though. No Thanksgiving in Australia, no mad bash-up shopping the next day. There *are* Boxing Day (next day after Christmas) mad shopping sales at major dept. stores here though. Sometimes they too get ugly. Particularly for those pissed off at not getting what they wanted the day before (Christmas). Heh.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham

You think that's bad, you HAVE TO check this out. http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/Promotional_W.htm

You have been severely, strictly warned. This is officially the worst web page ever for this decade. Prices are quite good, although I had an aneurism trying to find RAM or even take in any of the other prices.