10.4 and installing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
just wondering if the 10.4 disk that came with my G5 is somehow locked or encrypted to just install on my G5 only. I ask, because I wanted to test 10.4 on my old G4 to see how it performs etc and it would not install, even though it should be able to...any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa

just wondering if the 10.4 disk that came with my G5 is somehow locked or encrypted to just install on my G5 only. I ask, because I wanted to test 10.4 on my old G4 to see how it performs etc and it would not install, even though it should be able to...any ideas?

I don't think it will work on an older machine. You will probably be unable even to boot the G4 with this disk. On the other hand, the retail versions of OS X are bootable on all supported machines.

But I cannot help you more on that. Others with experience in such things may say more on possible workarounds.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    This is been asked and answered ad infinitum ad nauseum on this and every other Mac forum. The MacOS X 10.4 disk that shipped with your G5 is neither locked [any more than any other optical disk] nor encrypted. However, System Restore disks are model-specific. It cannot be used to install MacOS X 10.4 on any other Mac model.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

This is been asked and answered ad infinitum ad nauseum on this and every other Mac forum. The MacOS X 10.4 disk that shipped with your G5 is neither locked [any more than any other optical disk] nor encrypted. However, System Restore disks are model-specific. It cannot be used to install MacOS X 10.4 on any other Mac model.

cool thanx for the info!