Good CD-RW or DVD-RW Drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have an opinion on who makes a good internal CD-RW or DVD-R drive for the mac. I have a SCSI LaCie drive that I need to replace immediately. I've read several posts on this Pioneer DVR-105 drive, seems pretty good but just wondering what everyone is using.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'm using an internal Sony CD-RW in my B&W G3, works seemlessly with OS X and OS 9 without the need for any hacks.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yamaha finally released an internal Mac version of their CRW-F1. Previously if you bought the PC version of the drive, you couldn't do Disc [email protected] software wasn't bundled. I really don't understand why they don't just sell one retail kit that includes software for both...

It's a great drive for several reasons. It has Audio Master mode, Disc T@2, and a pretty blue LED...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Get a Lite-On 52x24x52x CD-RW. Not only are they the fastest drives on the market, but also the cheapest. Yes. it sounds ironic but Lite-On drives work great, and they will work fine in any Mac. I have a 24x12x40x in my beige G3 at home, and it has been great since the day I got it. Just had to plug it in and everything worked. I think the 52x runs around $65 now. Check <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com."; target="_blank">www.pricewatch.com.</a>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    are there any drives that can handle more then 4.7 or write to dual layer discs?

i dont think so but i am not as smart as some so i like to ask
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>are there any drives that can handle more then 4.7 or write to dual layer discs?

i dont think so but i am not as smart as some so i like to ask</strong><hr></blockquote>

There aren't any drives capable of writing dual-layer discs. There are double-sided discs though, but I don't realy see the point...You have to flip the disc anyway...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    How do the studios press them? Devices must exist, and media, though it's not for consumer hands. Is the process entirely different? I'd like to know how a major label "records" a disc?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>How do the studios press them? Devices must exist, and media, though it's not for consumer hands. Is the process entirely different? I'd like to know how a major label "records" a disc?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A golden master is created. They etch a metal stamp from that master. CDs are created using that stamp and injection molding.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Hence "press" and not "record"...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Sure, the Lite-On is 52x, but compared to 44x that's a difference of what...maybe 10 seconds in real life? This is why the Yamaha burner rocks:

<a href="http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/disctattoo1.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/disctattoo1.jpg</a>;

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    To which side of the disc is that done? If it's the recording surface, don't you loose a lot of data capacity?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    It's done on the burnable side of course. You can only burn tattoo where there's no data, but it's still pretty useful for labeling the outside rim of a music CD or adding a graphic to a software back-up that only uses a fraction of the disc.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Seems special discT@2 discs would be neat. Something with two recordable surfaces. A primary (within CD spec) side for your data, and a burnable (if not data grade) surface on the "label" side. You have to insert the disc twice of course, but then it would be really cool and you could make some very professional looking discs. iDunno, just a thought.