emacs disappearing from Apple stores?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Stopped by my local Apple store in St. Louis, and noticed that no eMacs were on display for sale - just the four in the kiddie game area, and they have never had price cards near them.

I could swear there were two or three eMacs at other spots in the store.

Anybody know anything??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i dont know... SOHO store is packed with em:-\\
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Apple Store WestFarms and CompUSA Manchester both have plenty in stock.. I'm not a huge fan of the eMac, but it seems to be a good idea for schools.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Maybe instead of discontinuing the emacs they could lower th price to say £300, which would make them more affordle to the budget people who wold normally buy cheap PCs for email and internet.

Just a thought
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I think we'll see a greatly reduced price fort the eMac as soon as the new iMacs are introduced in a month or so.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>I think we'll see a greatly reduced price fort the eMac as soon as the new iMacs are introduced in a month or so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That'll be great. Well only if they improve the specs and lower the price.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    One can only hope this marks the beginning of the end of the eMac.

I don't think it really caught on as it was effectively 2 years late. The AIO is not dead, but it's just going LCD now that screen prices are reasonably priced.

Apple should just offer it only to educational markets at a very discounted price.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Apple should just offer it only to educational markets at a very discounted price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When it was education only everyone complained because they wanted one and couldn't get it so that's why Apple made it for everyone.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    FYI. The following are CPU unit sales for Q1 as announced by Fred Anderson at the Analyst conference:

iMac Flat Panel - 134,000

eMac - 106,000

iMac CRT - 58,000

There's no need to discontinue the eMac, unless Apple has a death wish.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's a shame the eMac (with a CD-R or Combo Drive) can't be sold for about $600 dollars, to compete directly with those Dells and Gateways you see on those commercials sporting 1.2GHz processors, a 15" or 17" monitor and a bundled inkjet or scanner.

No wonder many people (like my Mom and sister) will probably never give Apple an honest look.

"Paul, why would I spend $1199 on that when I can get all this for $699?"

I honestly don't have any good answers for them. Well, none that would appeal (or matter) to them and what they do, or that don't make me look like a diehard, blinder-wearing fanatic.

If Apple could just ever start blowing those eMacs out at that price, wow...

That might honestly change some things.

Then again, who knows. People still think they need Windows because it is, after all, a Windows world.

Maybe Apple should just pack it in.