mac mini upgrades?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i want a mac desktop to replace my pc (already have a macbook, but want to convert 100%). i'm going to wait until Q1 of next year for Leopard.

Do you think the mac mini's will get core2duo and CPU speed upgrades by then? because they would make an ideal desktop as i already have a 19" TFT, but if i'm going to get a desktop i'd want one more powerful than my 1.83 coreduo macbook.

i keep considering a 2.33 24" imac but it seems wasteful when i have a perfectly good 19" TFT. ideally i'd want them to release a more powerful (and more expensive) mac mini with atleast a 2.16 processor

please give your thoughts/opinions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    personally im looking for an iMac and then im gonna add another screen to it so i can get dual screen VIA DVI out.

the mac mini is likely to get a proc. hike or HD hike or Ram hike... in jan.. or none of those, it really is just wait and see.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think they'll release the Mini with the new Santa Rosa chipset, which has faster integrated graphics. If they released a quad core CPU with that and eSATA connection, it would be awesome. This should be faster than the Macbook but if it gets dual core CPU again then not much faster.

I think you may be yet another vote for the Mac Cube. Somewhere between the power of the Mini and Mac Pro for just under the price of an iMac. That brings the total number of Mac users who want such a thing to 4.7 million. Of course, I am extrapolating the statistics in the manner common to Appleinsider.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I think they'll release the Mini with the new Santa Rosa chipset, which has faster integrated graphics.

Santa Rosa isn't coming until spring, though. I would hope they'll upgrade it before that. The bump a while ago was rather insignificant.

Quote:

If they released a quad core CPU with that

No quad-core laptop-class CPU in sight.

Quote:

and eSATA connection, it would be awesome.

eSATA? I'd love for that to happen, but not even the new MacBook Pros have that, and they need it more sorely than the Mac mini does.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    think i'm gonna go for a 20" imac. soup it up to 2.33, 2gb ram and 256mb graphics. then use my 19" tft as a second monitor.

no point in spending an extra £500 on a just as powerful machine with an extra 4" of screen, when i'm gonna have a dual monitor anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Does anyone thinkn they will C2D the mini and up the ram you can stuff in one before Christmas? 3 GB ram and a nice C2D 2.33 would nice.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Absolutely no chance. We're a week into december, and just over two weeks away from christmas. The product lineup now is Apple's christmas lineup. Releasing, marketing and getting new products into sales channels in time for christmas would be impossible.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    For about £1550 (£200 more than the 24") you could get a Quad 2.0GHz Mac Pro 1Gb/250Gb with BT/AE which should be more than enough power for many many years.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    The old story, no mid grade machine but a all in one trying to force you into things you dont want. Apple will they ever get it?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

For about £1550 (£200 more than the 24") you could get a Quad 2.0GHz Mac Pro 1Gb/250Gb with BT/AE which should be more than enough power for many many years.

My situation is a bit odd. I could purchase a quad 3 GHz for work, but that means I don't get a new computer every year at work. I know, the travesty. Buying a quad 3 GHz would put me hanging on to it for at least 3 years.

It is nice to get a new computer every year and have that latest tech on your desk in a small package. The mini is the best thing Apple has to fill this need with the iMac coming in a semi-distant second.

The MacPro puts that purchase off even more and takes up so much more space under your desk. Now, I have the room under my desk, but I have gotten to love reaching on top of my desk for all cables and dvd stuff with the mini at work and iMac at home.

Mid range box, maybe, like a mini with one extra ram slot would be nice and C2D.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

My situation is a bit odd. I could purchase a quad 3 GHz for work, but that means I don't get a new computer every year at work. I know, the travesty. Buying a quad 3 GHz would put me hanging on to it for at least 3 years.

It would still be a great machine three years from now. The ~3.5 year old Power Mac G5 dual 2.0 that I have is still more powerful than a Mac mini. If you go for less to get an upgrade every year, you might not get the same level of performance for three years.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    i too am going to wait to see if there is a mac mini update.

I'm waiting for something that will offer me a bit from future expandability than the current mac mini ( basically more HDD capability directly in the box )
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The current mini is definitely a bit weedie. 120Gb and 1Gb RAM in the top model would be great. Thankfully I'm not looking to upgrade until the summer, so these upgrades are a fairly safe bet for then. *Crosses Fingers*
  • Reply 13 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren

The current mini is definitely a bit weedie. 120Gb and 1Gb RAM in the top model would be great. Thankfully I'm not looking to upgrade until the summer, so these upgrades are a fairly safe bet for then. *Crosses Fingers*

I'd like to see that in the base model because most of the other machines have far higher base specs than the Mini and I'm finding 60GB a bit tight. Even an 80-100GB in the base would do but 1GB Ram is a necessity.

I really wish they'd make the hard drive and Ram easy to get to. Even a fold down panel where the drive slides out or something.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Whilst we're on the subject - isn't it about time the whole Apple range had superdrives?!

I work in a store that sells computers and laptops amongst other things, and even the £349 laptops have DVD burners! Come on Apple- stick a superdrive in the base mini, and the base macbook!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    I wouldn't mind an increase in the height of the mini if it meant you could fit a 3.5" drive in there.

There are a lot of folks who have additional external HDD units just for that purpose. Why not eliminate it by having another 1cm of height and getting the full HDD in.

In some ways, you could hide the extra height by making the mini have little feet like a hifi unit does, and behind them, make the bottom of the unit drop lower. that way the body of the unit itself looks the same height, just raised, yet you gain a bunch of space at the bottom.

i'm dreaming i know. . . . but hey!