X-MAS Hardware. iPod vs. Zune

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was in a Target today and saw the Zune display in the electronics area. Not a spectacular display, but the Zune itself really looks to be the product you would want for this X MAS season. The wide screen, and the video it was playing in the demo stand was really phenomenal. Apple has to be worried because I think the Zune is going to take X-MAS this year unless Apple has a wide screen iPod coming out really soon. Because even as a Mac user I would rather have the zune unit I fiddled with on the display tonight.

What are the chances of a widescreen iPods to get Apple through this holiday season. Because it's highly probable if MS wins the MP3 player season this year they will have one seasons worth of loyalists to zune. And we all know how that spreads. Look at the iPod for reference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    5 weeks 'till Christmas....hmmm..........................very hard one to call. The only reason Apple wouldn't bring it out before Christmas would be because it isn't ready. The touch screen, touch bezel technology may be causing them some problems. If it's ready and working, with no major bugs, then I'm going to say it will be out for Christmas. Man am a tired of all these rumors though.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    If they released ANYTHING tomorrow Apple would have to buy practically every minute of advertisement available to get people to purchase the product on Friday. It's just not going to happen!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    One of the ladies I work with said she saw the Zune on display at Target and just laughed. She told me there is no way she is getting rid of her iPod
  • Reply 4 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

One of the ladies I work with said she saw the Zune on display at Target and just laughed. She told me there is no way she is getting rid of her iPod

I thought the same thing, as I said, The display was nothing spectacular, but if you walk up and check out the zune it's a whole new era.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    niconico Posts: 50member
    On Amazon.com, Top Sellers in Portable Audio, 10 of the first 11 are iPod.

Zune is 18.

In Genereal Electronic, iPod is the first, Zune is 55th.

bye

Nico
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Also most people prefer to go for a cheaper, smaller player such as the nano or shuffle; of the iPods sold, most are of these types. Therefore with their high-end player that competes with not even the majority of the iPod market, there is no way Zune will "take" this christmas. It won't even beat the 30gb iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

[...]The wide screen[...]

As if...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Most reviewers have commented that Zune's screen is nicer than iPods, even though it's not a true widescreen. While I think there are other issues with Zune that will keep Zune 1 from hurting iPod sales, susequent versions of Zune could start taking market share if Apple doesn't improve on the current video iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    i think this is all you need to know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpA22sBwmVE&NR
  • Reply 10 of 44
    I'm not sure if I'd call Zune "a whole new era." It's pretty similar to iPod except for a few features that cause it to be larger and have higher battery drain. The iPhone, if done correctly, could be a whole new era.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

i think this is all you need to know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpA22sBwmVE&NR

You couldn't buy that level of advertisement..

"Why don't they get some people to do some decent design (sic at Microsoft) it's clunky.."
  • Reply 12 of 44
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    nothing else is coming from Apple if at 10am PT time today (Tuesday) anything is announce.

Sorry, now is wait for MWSF.

Plus any new widescreen iPod would have their own special event or a larger event like MWSF.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

the Zune itself really looks to be the product you would want for this X MAS season. The wide screen, and the video it was playing in the demo stand was really phenomenal.

You are kidding, right?

1.) The Zune doesn't have a wide screen.

2.) It's bigger and heavier than the 30 gig iPod (in fact, it's bigger and heavier than the 80 gig iPod).

3.) Yes, its screen is bigger than iPod's, but really, video for both the iPod and Zune is a secondary function. As a portable HDD based music player nothing currently beats the iPod IMHO.

4.) If you want a real widescreen portable player, why don't you get a Creative Zen Vision W or an Archos 504. Both of those piss all over the Zune and iPod in terms of video playback.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

I think the Zune is going to take X-MAS this year

The Zune will probably get 1/10th of the sales of the iPod. Wanna bet on some numbers?
  • Reply 15 of 44
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    OK, is past 10am PT.

Now is wait for MWSF.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

OK, is past 10am PT.

Now is wait for MWSF.

Aye....
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

The Zune will probably get 1/10th of the sales of the iPod. Wanna bet on some numbers?

Microsoft will probably call it a roaring success (beyond their wildest imagination) if Zune is able to grab 10% of the sales of iPods this quarter. In reality, they may actually get up to 10% of the iPod Video sales, but as others have pointed out, the iPod Shuffle and the Nano will be the bulk of the iPods sold this quarter and Microsoft has no answer to these offerings.

I predict .4M for Zune vs 18-20M for the complete iPod line for the quarter.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

Microsoft will probably call it a roaring success (beyond their wildest imagination) if Zune is able to grab 10% of the sales of iPods this quarter. In reality, they may actually get up to 10% of the iPod Video sales, but as others have pointed out, the iPod Shuffle and the Nano will be the bulk of the iPods sold this quarter and Microsoft has no answer to these offerings.

I predict .4M for Zune vs 18-20M for the complete iPod line for the quarter.

I agree. And that's what I was saying. The initial eye-candy was really appealing. The screen appeared wide. Much wider than the iPod, maybe it was just bigger, but the it looked great. If they get 10% of iPod's 30GIG sales that's a huge take and an extremely successful launch. They wont stand still with this first offering either. The zune will continue to try to out "eye-candy" the iPod and it will keep getting better. It can only get better where as the iPod has had nothing to compare with for years. MS is going to push this right next to the iPod everywhere they are featured. IMPO Apple should be worried, and try to put out something to prove why they are the leader in video, and music players. For video alone I like the zune, because at least the screen was bigger. Zune was priced fairly against the iPod. It's $10 cheaper for 30 gig.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I agree. And that's what I was saying. The initial eye-candy was really appealing. The screen appeared wide. Much wider than the iPod, maybe it was just bigger, but the it looked great. If they get 10% of iPod's 30GIG sales that's a huge take and an extremely successful launch. They wont stand still with this first offering either. The zune will continue to try to out "eye-candy" the iPod and it will keep getting better. It can only get better where as the iPod has had nothing to compare with for years. MS is going to push this right next to the iPod everywhere they are featured. IMPO Apple should be worried, and try to put out something to prove why they are the leader in video, and music players. For video alone I like the zune, because at least the screen was bigger. Zune was priced fairly against the iPod. It's $10 cheaper for 30 gig.

I agree with you Onlooker. There are some appealing attributes to Zune that MS can build upon in future versions. This is a 'testing the waters' release. They'll see what the bugs are and the features users like. I look for the next version to actually be designed by MS and be a much more serious threat.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

IMPO Apple should be worried, and try to put out something to prove why they are the leader in video, and music players. For video alone I like the zune, because at least the screen was bigger.

Maybe Apple don't want to be the leader in video players? Maybe it's not worth the effort? Maybe there's not actually that much demand for it? Archos have been around for ages making far, far superior video players than the iPod, and it's not exactly hurting iPod sales, is it?

Having said all that, I do think Apple will probably bring out a top-of-the-range widescreen HDD iPod (and keep the 4:3 one).