Briefly: Black iPod nano sales trail the pack

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When it comes to digital music players, consumers are expressing a reluctance to bite at Apple's "black tax," which has thus far translated into slow sales of the company's $249 black iPod nano.

For the most part, shoppers have been unwilling to plunk down the extra $50 for the black-colored player, which boasts 8 Gigabytes (GB) of storage capacity but is otherwise identical in functionality to a multi-colored array of 4GB models that sell for just $199.

Based on a series of checks, Apple's most popular second-generation iPod nano is its $199 silver 4GB model, followed closely by the similarly colored 2GB player at $149. Next in line at the checkout counters are $199 blue and green 4GB nanos, which consumers are pocketing at a comparable rate.

Apple's $199 pink 4GB iPod nano is the least popular candy-colored model, while sales of the 8GB black player trail all other second-generation iPod nano models. The subdued demand for the high-end nano suggests most customers are willing to forgo the black-color and extra 4GB of space in order to save $50 on iPods that don't sport video capabilities.

It's unclear where the (PRODUCT) RED iPod nanos fall into the mix, as the players are relatively new and sold exclusively by Apple (and select Wal-Mart retail stores). However, early indications are that demand for the 4GB model has been robust, with some Apple retail stores facing issues in keeping the players on the shelves.

Citing an "off the charts" response to $199 player, Apple earlier this month added an 8GB model, of which AppleInsider is still seeking sales data.

Apple donates $10 from the sale of each (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano to the Global Fund to help fight HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

?plunk down the extra $50 for the black-colored player, which boasts 8 Gigabytes (GB) of storage capacity but is otherwise identical a multi-colored array 4GB models that sell for just $199.

What a ridiculous thing to say. $50 to double the capacity of something hardly seems like a minor detail. Otherwise the same? Are you kidding? This is poor reporting/writing at best, and at worst an insult to those of us who evaluate things from a less emotional perspective.

Even if it was white, double capacity is still double capacity, and easily justifies the extra $50.

This review is worthless.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Silver is the most popular color, first in the 2GB and then in the 4GB. Seems to me they should offer that color in the 8GB--clearly many consumers think that color best coordinates with their clothes, lifestyle, gadget fetishes, whatever. Perhaps then, people would be convinced to shell out the extra $50 (I agree that DOUBLING the capacity for such a small amount is pretty great, although the video ipod's at the same price offer so much more for what is STILL a very compact, elegant form factor).
  • Reply 3 of 53
    guest you are being rude. What they are saying is that if black was available in the 4gb model there would be no "black tax". So if you want or would prefer black you have to pay 50$ extra. The capacity is not being compared in this article. Of course some see better value in the 8gb model, the same goes for the 4gb, and 2gb model. Value for money is a subjective measure most apply to their purchase decisions. What is value for money for you may not be for me.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I agree with guest. The premise of the article is rediculous. It's not a "black tax", it's a "4 GB more (i.e. double your capacity) tax".

$50 for 4 more GB seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KailuaBoy

Silver is the most popular color, first in the 2GB

The 2 GB comes only in silver.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Whichever, it is definitely something about the color black. The Macbooks are the same thing. They bump the HD up 40G and charge $200 more for the black.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I just bought the 8GB black nano two days ago- it's awesome. I don't think you could call it a black tax unless you're getting the same 4GB model in black for an extra $50.

The 8GB nano is beyotchin.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    I can't imagine the black nano being popular with females. Most of the girls I know that picked up minis and the new nano opted for bright colors like green, blue and pink. If Apple released black in 4GB and the other colors in 8GB, then I think the 8GBs would be more popular.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    It's probably not as much a "black tax" so much as it is:

"Hum. For an extra $50, I can get either 4 GB more, or 26 GB more."

In addition to 26 GB, it would also buy you a bigger product (has pluses and minuses) and a product which is HDD-based so there's potential damage to moving parts to worry about.

But the potential purchaser, if (s)he is even aware of the moving parts argument, would likely end up unable to help but fixate on the price similarity between 8 GB and 30 GB units. It may leave said potential purchaser involuntarily (and possibly unconsciously) questioning whether the 8 GB model is really such a great buy, or whether they can actually get by on the cheaper 4 GB alternative. The question of colour may not have even entered into the equation yet.

I have never played through the whole 4 GB capacity first generation Nano in one sitting; I don't really know if the 8 GB model would be justified in my case.

If storage capacity is my primary concern (eg. road trip) and battery life can be taken care of by other means (eg. cigarette lighter adapter), then I would opt for my 30 GB 5G iPod over an 8GB Nano anyways.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Seeing as most reports calculate that apple is paying about $20 per gig of memory in the machines, that would say that it is costing them $80 more to produce the 8 gig over the 4 gig model. That means that their profit margins are lower when someone buys the top line model.

yeah, they still make money, but if they turn a higher profit with the customer spending less money, why would the make more offerings for them to spend more?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    For me, it's the psychological barrier. Extra storage, video capability aside, I just couldn't go over $200 for a music player.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Whichever, it is definitely something about the color black. The Macbooks are the same thing. They bump the HD up 40G and charge $200 more for the black.

The situation with the MacBook is different. It is possible to configure a white and black MacBook identically, and then you discover that you are paying $50 more just for the colour black.

However, the only way to get an 8 GB nano is to buy a black one. Are you saying that $50 is too much for 4 GB extra (when 4 GB costs you $199) what would be a reasonable price increase for 4 more GB?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade

Seeing as most reports calculate that apple is paying about $20 per gig of memory in the machines, that would say that it is costing them $80 more to produce the 8 gig over the 4 gig model. That means that their profit margins are lower when someone buys the top line model.

yeah, they still make money, but if they turn a higher profit with the customer spending less money, why would the make more offerings for them to spend more?

i have a(n) HDD ipod, and i'd drop $250 in a heartbeat for a nano if they weren't trying to force me to buy a black one. as others have said, there are times when you want the extended battery life and shock resistance of a flash-based player. but to tell me that i have less choice in colors when i'm buying your top-of-the-line player? no thanks.

if this trend continues, i suspect that apple will either offer the 8GB in colors or (if they read the signs wrong) just discontinue it. if it's the former i'll be in line for one. if it's the latter, i'll wait to see how far the prices drop as it's end-of-lifed. it's not that it'd be more attractive at that point...it's just that i'd only buy it in black if i was completely convinced it was the only way i'd get an 8GB flash player.

btw, i'm not that guest...he just happened to have a very poorly-chosen password.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    renren Posts: 6member
    I have a 4GB 1gen nano - white and I am waiting for an 8GB Nano in Silver. That's why I haven't bought one yet.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest

but to tell me that i have less choice in colors when i'm buying your top-of-the-line player? no thanks.

I think that's the real problem. I understand the decision in terms of trying to keep inventory down, but it would be better just to invest in better inventory-management. They should have all the colours (including black) available at 8 GB, and the current options at the other sizes.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

The situation with the MacBook is different. It is possible to configure a white and black MacBook identically, and then you discover that you are paying $50 more just for the colour black.

However, the only way to get an 8 GB nano is to buy a black one. Are you saying that $50 is too much for 4 GB extra (when 4 GB costs you $199) what would be a reasonable price increase for 4 more GB?

No, I think that is reasonable. My point is that there is something special about the color black with Apple. What if I really like black, but don't want the extra 4GB? What if I really like white and I DO want the extra 4GB?

But then again, what if I can only afford a 2GB Nano, then I have to get a SILVER one?????
  • Reply 17 of 53
    My girlfriend's 1gen 4GB mini went out about a month ago. She went in to buy a new nano, looked at the price points and said "why wouldn't I buy a 30GB video for the same price? I get a ton more storage space and many more functions". To her it was a no-brainer. I'm guessing a good number of people feel the same way and as a result the Black Nano is suffering for it
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I agree that it's not a "black tax" it's paying more for more capacity. And with the 8gig the same price as the 30, I can see why it's not selling as well. But as long as people are buying either the 4 or the 30, I don't see any reason Apple should care if the 8 sells or not - they just need to have it as an available option, whether it sells or not.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    There will be certain cost and supply constraints with some components, processes and manufacturing runs. Apple marketing uses these constraints as an opportunity to fuck with your mind. Keeps things interesting. Unfortunately it also encourages complete non-news nonsense like this.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skavon

My girlfriend's 1gen 4GB mini went out about a month ago. She went in to buy a new nano, looked at the price points and said "why wouldn't I buy a 30GB video for the same price? I get a ton more storage space and many more functions". To her it was a no-brainer. I'm guessing a good number of people feel the same way and as a result the Black Nano is suffering for it

Size? Weight? Battery life?

Nanos are nanos, flash vs HDD.

I have nothing againist your gf's decision, but her reasoning as they say economics, false informational deduction. Which is, the decision may be good or bad, but economically right as long as information has been properly compared.

I'm sure she's not the first, but, you could have corrected her, and then let her think it over. (That's what a good rep is suppose to do at stores)