iTunes for linux

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What do you think the chances are that Apple will release iTunes for linux? What would the drawbacks be?

Seems to me like Linux is starting to shape up. All it really needs now are the killer apps people are used to running.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You might get some flack for this question, but let me give you a straight answer. No. It would serve no strategic purpose for them, and would aid a potential competitor.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave

You might get some flack for this question, but let me give you a straight answer. No. It would serve no strategic purpose for them, and would aid a potential competitor.

yeh agreed, apple origionally only had itunes for the mac, then it went to pc. that jump was massive as it bought in a hell of a lot of new customers. putting it on linux wouldnt really do anyone any good really. plus ipod/itunes helps people make their minds up if hey want to switch. well, it did for me... plus it looks nice. os x that is
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I don't know. Apple has a knack of doing strange things now and then. I think iTunes of Linux might be a major plus. It would also bring in some of the geeks and more support. The problem is that those who know don't put up with crappy DRM so there is a fear of it getting cracked again. iTunes relies heavily on Quicktime and that might be where the problem lies. Well, that or the RIAA is pissed at the open source community and won't license if there is a Linux player.