Palm CEO brushes off Apple cell phone threat

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Palm chief executive Ed Colligan doesn't plan on losing any sleep over rumors that iPod maker Apple Computer is on the verge of breaching the cell phone market with a new handset device.

Responding to questions at a Churchill Club breakfast gathering last Thursday, Colligan reportedly "laughed off the idea" that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company would experience any immediate success in delivering a device to the fastidious smart phone market.

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.''

Asked what to expect if Apple indeed were to deliver an iPod phone to market, Colligan theorized the device would likely employ WiFi and be sold through the company's retail chain rather than carriers like Verizon or Cingular.

Over the course of the last month, Apple is reported to have released its first mobile handset to contract manufacturers while it continues to work feverishly on a second device with additional collaborative capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Pretty smug, Ed.
  • Reply 2 of 145
    But the people at apple are not just "PC guys"
  • Reply 3 of 145
    PC guys... that's scary; he has no idea what is about to happen.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    Ed's right though, even if the expectation in and of itself is unreasonable. Apple isn't going to make the end-all, be-all cellphone on day one. It didn't even happen with the iPod and mp3 players in general. Apple will make a competent product with shortcomings that'll be addressed in future revisions or shortcomings they'll stick with because the Apple fanbase can tolerate it.
  • Reply 5 of 145
    Thats funny especially due to the fact that the Treo 600 and 650s FLOPPED with Sprint. I know, I went through four and still ended up going back to my old phone.

Just wondering... is it completely necessary to put 'the Cupertino, Calif.-based company' in every single article? Same thing for windoze's 'Redmond based company'? I Honestly don't see the point...

And by PC guys, I think they meant personal computers, ie mac & windows & linux & (insert here)
  • Reply 6 of 145
    I think the funniest thing about Ed's comments is that everyone said the exact same thing about the iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 145
    he has no idea. what did people say about the ipod? they figured that out after just 'walking in'
  • Reply 8 of 145
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Bravado for the shareholders. I imagine they are shitting themselves.
  • Reply 9 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

Bravado for the shareholders. I imagine they are shitting themselves.

Considering the only changes that the Treo has offered in the past couple of years are a model without an antenna and a version that runs Windows Mobile, I'm sure they are.

It was a good phone. Three or four years ago.
  • Reply 10 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

Just wondering... is it completely necessary to put 'the Cupertino, Calif.-based company' in every single article? Same thing for windoze's 'Redmond based company'? I Honestly don't see the point...

I've often thought that. I understand they're trying to remain professional, and if it were an ordinary News source that reported on everything, I could understand. But this is APPLEinsider, the audience here probably doesn't need to be reminded where Apple is located in every article.

Let's change the name to "The Cupertino, Calif.-based company Insider".

I should register that domain right now!
  • Reply 11 of 145
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Do we even know for sure that Apple are going to deliver a "smartphone" (i.e., one with PDA-like abilities)? We've heard all sorts of different reports:
    • The iPhone will be a 3G "smartphone".

• The iPhone will be a 3G "normal" (i.e. with camera and music player, but no PDA-like stuff) phone.

• The iPhone will be a 2G "smartphone".

• The iPhone will be a 2G (GSM) "normal" phone.

• There will actually be two iPhones released at once: one "normal" 2G and one "smartphone" 3G.

• The first iPhone will be a "normal" 2G, to be quickly followed by a "smartphone" 3G.

• There is no iPhone

Personally, I'm hoping for and expecting a 2G iPhone with camera and music player, which won't be competing directly with any Palm phones anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 145
    I believe that this CEO honestly doesn't get it. Look at all the players in the cell phone market. Have any of them in all of their market research and R&D come up with a phone that people truly "love"? No. But people "love" their macs, and they "love" their iPods. I think they'll "love" their iPhones too.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Whatever the specs will be I'm sure they wanna make the phone all about the experience. They will focus on software, navigation and usability like no other "phone guys" in the neighbourhood. Probably with some small clever functions like spotlight search etc. and the phone guys will go "dang... we gotta do that too!"
  • Reply 14 of 145
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I remember another huge company who blew off Apple as a potential threat.

Micheal Dell back in 1997 remarked that if he were President of Apple he would close the company and give the money back to the stockholders.

He's since learned to shut up. Mr. Ed Colligan might well learn to do the same.

Of course he's not going to conceed, but a more appropriate response could have suggested, that Palm welcomes competition to market but is confident their products and services will prevail.
  • Reply 15 of 145
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Oh who cares about Palm anymore. It's becoming just another Windows/Linux vendor.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck

Oh who cares about Palm anymore. It's becoming just another Windows/Linux vendor.

Bingo.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

Considering the only changes that the Treo has offered in the past couple of years are a model without an antenna and a version that runs Windows Mobile, I'm sure they are.

It was a good phone. Three or four years ago.

Totally. Palm was hot in 1998-2003. After that, fracked. Palm is very marginalised at this stage, like Creative
  • Reply 18 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck

Pretty much all PDA Phones need WindowsMobile5 and above to be relevant... Whether it's Palm, HP, Dell, whatever. I tried a Windows Mobile Dell Axim in 2004. *sigh* Rubbish compared to the heydays of HandSpring and what an awesome though simple PDA it was. And the Windows Mobile crashing about once or three times a day, mmmm..... sucktastic.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Do we even know for sure that Apple are going to deliver a "smartphone" (i.e., one with PDA-like abilities)? We've heard all sorts of different reports:
    • The iPhone will be a 3G "smartphone".

• The iPhone will be a 3G "normal" (i.e. with camera and music player, but no PDA-like stuff) phone.

• The iPhone will be a 2G "smartphone".

• The iPhone will be a 2G (GSM) "normal" phone.

• There will actually be two iPhones released at once: one "normal" 2G and one "smartphone" 3G.

• The first iPhone will be a "normal" 2G, to be quickly followed by a "smartphone" 3G.

• There is no iPhone

Personally, I'm hoping for and expecting a 2G iPhone with camera and music player, which won't be competing directly with any Palm phones anyway.

It's very very messy at the moment, the rumours, that is. And the amount of stock hype built up into this and people "not wanting to miss out on THE NEXT iPOD" -- it's going to be a roller-coaster ride the next few months.

Damn Apple and their consumer electronics! If they just stuck to PCs(Macs) we could be wasting our time talking more about Intel and the latest OSX update and firmware and benchmarks and stuff instead of cell phones and 3g and all this other low-brow mass-market consumer stuff.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' .....

Yeah in the meantime, pal, Palm got p*wnd by other players in the PDA-Phone market.