macbook pro core duo for macbook core2duo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have the opportunity to trade a macbook pro core duo for a black macbook core2duo for no charge. I use computer for itunes and web. Should I, I know the MBP is a pro machine but the MB is newer with hte latest chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    stick with your pro...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    i would switch...i mean if your not going to use the graphics in the MBP, then the MB should be more than enough...besides, the C2D will last longer into the future because its 64 bit. either way, im sure youll be happy with your machine. think about your own personal preferences. think about which screen size you prefer, which look do you prefer: the metal pro look, or the sleek black one. there are a lot of things to consider. but anyway you go, youll have a mac, and that is sure to make you happy
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Forget about that 64bit stuff. Only less than 5% of all applications out there will ever make use of the extended memory space offered by the 64bit environment. And they will only be able to do so when every notebook on this planet has 4 GB of RAM as a standard and every other computer has 8 GB...

So keep your MBP - unless you want a different (smaller) screen or like the black color better.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Depends on the specs of the Pro.

If it's a revA 1.83Ghz, I would take the plunch.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    No way that's an even swap.

You'd be trading away ALL of the MBP's features just to get a C2D processor and black case. You could probably sell it on eBay and come out better.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    If I look at the prices asked for secondhand MacBook Pros in the Netherlands and the price of a new black MacBook, it is not a bad deal.

In some cases actually pretty good.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    its a MBP 2.0 CD. I like the fact the MB has the newest chip. just something about going from pro to consumer feels like a downgrade even though all of the specs are better on the MB
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Similar dilema here.

I'm looking to replace my 12"pb and cheap and nasty windows laptop with a single machine dual booting. Originally i was going to go for mbp 2.33 2 gb, 160g dirve total cost was about £2100 with apple care.

but then I realised if i got a decent spec'd black mb 2gb, 160g drive i could also afford a basic white mb for the mrs for only £200 more than the single mbp.

My graphics needs aren't huge, only a few windows games, how much of a hit is the on board graphics? To give you an idea of my expectations i happily play games on my 12"pb. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    there are posts and posts about CD2 before it came out. wait everyone said. is macbook that much under macbook pro
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardnerj

Similar dilema here.

Not really. The OP has a MBP, which is far better than the black MB and he is considering whether to downgrade for the sake of the CPU. Since the CPU isn't really that much better, all that's happening is he's losing a good graphics card, a bigger screen and a more durable case for a machine that will lose it's value more quickly for zero benefit.

I'd be curious to know how this trade came about because it sounds like a rip-off.

Quote:

I'm looking to replace my 12"pb and cheap and nasty windows laptop with a single machine dual booting. Originally i was going to go for mbp 2.33 2 gb, 160g dirve total cost was about £2100 with apple care.

but then I realised if i got a decent spec'd black mb 2gb, 160g drive i could also afford a basic white mb for the mrs for only £200 more than the single mbp.

Your situation differs in that you can nearly get two Macbooks (a black one and a white one) for the same as one MBP. The OP would essentially be losing the value of a whole white Macbook by downgrading to a black Macbook. Not quite because it's not the new MBP but close.

In your case, I'd opt for the two Macbooks since graphics aren't overly important.

Quote:

My graphics needs aren't huge, only a few windows games, how much of a hit is the on board graphics? To give you an idea of my expectations i happily play games on my 12"pb. Any thoughts?

The Macbooks are faster than the powerbooks for games because it plays some games that my old 1.5GHz powerbook couldn't. I've been meaning to get Windows installed on my Mini to see how the GMA runs some Windows games. I've played some Mac ones and it is very capable indeed.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    any more comments. macbook got cnet editors choice

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_MacBoo...?tag=pdtl-list
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timr100

any more comments. macbook got cnet editors choice

If you're set on getting one then do the deal but I really think you'll regret it. If you're desperate to get the Core 2 Duo CPU then I'd say sell the Core Duo MBP and pay the minimal amount of money to upgrade to the new MBP.

The black Macbooks don't look as nice as the white ones either IMO. What advantage do you think you will get by changing from MBP to MB?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    prob none. the deal would be an even trade. my thinking is the 64 vs 32 bit thing for futuer Mac OS. also thinking about battery life. i dont think i am going to take the deal based on these responses.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    think about weather you want the mbp's large screen and aluminum case, if you are more drawn to a 13.3 inch screen and a black matte case, then go with the mb. its basically which one you think looks better and screen size because specs are so similar, also, ask yourself weather you need the graphics in the mbp, if not, thats one more reason for the mb...think about personal preference first