MBP Core2 Hard Drive musings

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First off, hi all (first post from a lurker).

Just like a bunch of you, I've been waiting for the new Macbook Pros to get the Core2 Duo treatment. I have a question about the hard drive options for the 15" model (17" is too big for my tastes).

I have an external HD, so space isn't a huge issue, but more space is always nice. I was wondering about the pros and cons of the 4200rpm 200Gb HD vs. the smaller and faster 5400rpm 120&160Gb models.

I heard on this forum that the slower speec HD will cause less vibration and less heat. If the performance hit isn't that great (how important is HD speed really?), I'm down with the lower heat and vibration. Especially since I will be traveling with it quite a bit and it will spend a lot of time on my lap.

Any thoughts about the pros and cons with regard to HD speed on laptops?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

First off, hi all (first post from a lurker).

Just like a bunch of you, I've been waiting for the new Macbook Pros to get the Core2 Duo treatment. I have a question about the hard drive options for the 15" model (17" is too big for my tastes).

I have an external HD, so space isn't a huge issue, but more space is always nice. I was wondering about the pros and cons of the 4200rpm 200Gb HD vs. the smaller and faster 5400rpm 120&160Gb models.

I heard on this forum that the slower speec HD will cause less vibration and less heat. If the performance hit isn't that great (how important is HD speed really?), I'm down with the lower heat and vibration. Especially since I will be traveling with it quite a bit and it will spend a lot of time on my lap.

Any thoughts about the pros and cons with regard to HD speed on laptops?

Thanks

The heat and vibration difference between a 4200 and 5400 RPM drive is negligible. The faster drive will give you a noticeable speed boost for anything requiring drive access. Start up time, initial application load time (depending on how much memory you have in your system, subsequent application start up times are much quicker since they're still in memory), etc. will all improve. It really depends on your needs. In the overall scheme of things, if you need a larger capacity drive, but have to settle for 4200 RPM, it really won't make your life that much more difficult. You'll notice a greater change going from 4200 to 7200.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    4200 -> 5400 big change

5400 -> 7200 very little change at all

The higher density on the 160gb makes it almost the same performance as the 7200rpm 100gb drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/...0bt/index.html

• Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

4200 -> 5400 big change

5400 -> 7200 very little change at all

The higher density on the 160gb makes it almost the same performance as the 7200rpm 100gb drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/...0bt/index.html

Interesting... I didn't know that would be a factor. That pretty much clears up that question for me.

Also, for possible upgrades, are there any after-market HDs that you all reccomend? Are there warranty issues related to installing a replacement?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

Interesting... I didn't know that would be a factor. That pretty much clears up that question for me.

Also, for possible upgrades, are there any after-market HDs that you all reccomend? Are there warranty issues related to installing a replacement?

Apple already uses the best hard drives available (all seagate monentus drives I think, except for the 200gb one). Just buy what you want from Apple - maybe upgrade later when a 300gb drive comes out or something.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Apple already uses the best hard drives available (all seagate monentus drives I think, except for the 200gb one). Just buy what you want from Apple - maybe upgrade later when a 300gb drive comes out or something.

Yes and be thankful. Those 160GB Seagate drives aren't even on the UK market yet! Nice to see they are being used for a good cause
  • Reply 6 of 7
    All 5400rpm & 7200rpm drive options are likely to be Seagate.

The only manufacturers that I'm aware of that make 200GB 2.5" drives are Fujitsu and Toshiba - both budget drive manufacturers. Neither of which I would ever choose to buy. Only ever had 1 drive completely fail on me in 15 years and that would be the Toshiba drive in my Mac mini G4.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Dang, awesome replies from everyone. I think I'll be placing my order within the week.

Thanks much