White iPhone 3GS units discoloring from excessive heat

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    In case this wasn?t posted earlier, Apple does have a support page regarding heat issues with the iPhone
  • Reply 122 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

but we are to believe that AT&T hasn’t done anything to upgrade their network in over 2 years because TeckStud said so.

Please stop misquoting me - when and where exactly did I say that? AT&T has been patching their network all along- there is no denying that.
  • Reply 123 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Please stop misquoting me - when and where exactly did I say that? AT&T has been patching their network all along- there is no denying that.

Teckstud wrote, "AT&T has added and added more 3G junk phones to their network without upgrading it.” at 05:06 PM EST on July 1st, 2009.
  • Reply 124 of 140
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Teckstud wrote, "AT&T has added and added more 3G junk phones to their network without upgrading it.? at 05:06 PM EST on July 1st, 2009.

You should supply a link to the original post. Like this.
  • Reply 125 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You should supply a link to the original post. Like this.

I honestly don?t think he reads links. I?m actually curious to here how he didn?t mean what he wrote and how I?ve distorted his words somehow. Curious creature that one.
  • Reply 126 of 140
    Quote:

I honestly don’t think he reads links.

The link is not necessarily for his benefit. How would the rest of us know you're not just making it up?
  • Reply 127 of 140
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

In case this wasn?t posted earlier, Apple does have a support page regarding heat issues with the iPhone

Quote:

Operate iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS in a place where the temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might temporarily shorten battery life or cause the device to temporarily stop working properly.

In other words, we're not going to take responsibility for our own design compromises.

What a joke. What about those of us who live in the south? It's supposed to be a high of 92 here in NC and it's been close to 99 for much of the past two weeks.
  • Reply 128 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

In other words, we're not going to take responsibility for our own design compromises.

What a joke. What about those of us who live in the south? It's supposed to be a high of 92 here in NC and it's been close to 99 for much of the past two weeks.

You?re jumping to conclusions. You have a warranty for a reason. If your system isn?t working right get a new one. Those temperatures are nothing new. They have been on CE for least a couple decades.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    Quote:

Teckstud wrote, "AT&T has added and added more 3G junk phones to their network without upgrading it.” at 05:06 PM EST on July 1st, 2009.

Patching is a quick fix and not an upgrade and you know it. An upgrade is a whole new system- even you admit that hasn't been accomplished.
  • Reply 130 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The link is not necessarily for his benefit. How would the rest of us know you're not just making it up?

He's distorting as usual what I meant.
  • Reply 131 of 140
    Quote:

Patching is a quick fix and not an upgrade and you know it. An upgrade is a whole new system- even you admit that hasn't been accomplished.

Anyone who chooses to see moving from the 1700MHz specrtum to 850MHz, adding more 3G coverage, upping HSDPA to HSUPA, and increasing bandwidth as a lateral patch, then I must be distorting your words that AT&T is adding more and more 3G phones without upgrading their network. You can't be a real person!
  • Reply 132 of 140
    Quote:

He's distorting as usual what I meant.

You know, it really gives you far more credibility to hold your hand up occasionally and say "my bad, I was wrong", and move on. I don't get why people find this so hard to do. I've done it plenty of times. We can't be right all the time (not even me )
  • Reply 133 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Let's see YOUR credentials buddy. You think you can do a better job? Maybe you ought to take a look at the drunk retarded monkeys up in Redmond.

I can probably guarantee you I've been using Macs much, much longer than you have...

While your head is stuck firmly in the ground maybe check out the Help menu item in Leopard...er, why the different font sizing and spacing? Why a new interface for Quicktime? Isn't Quicktime an app? Aqua elements, Chrome elements all miss mashed together etc. etc. ad naseum.

I critique because I care.
  • Reply 134 of 140
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Apple removes the threads from its websites simply because of the "internet effect" of these issues. It only takes a couple people having the issue to spread erroneous FUD about a product. Like it or not, they have the right it's more likely to make the major news channels that a few out of a million iPhones are having a battery issue while the seemingly rampant Pre issues from only a few hundred thousand devices won't send up any flags. Apple having it on their own site is just another dart to through at them: "Even Apple's own forums are filled with hundreds of posts about the problem". That doesn't sound so good when the sensationalist media gets ahold of it. A company has a right to protect its bottom line, and part off that is often protecting the product's name, even if the motion is mostly fruitless.

That effect is evident in this thread with yours and skate71290 posts and I'm sure there will be more posting shortly, but these are CE we're talking about. There will be some faulty items. There will be a batch here and there with problems. They've sold how many now (2M?) and they are going to replace how few under under warranty, no questions asked? I've seen epic design failure in a product and this is not one of those times.

Oh I agree. I'm realise it's not every iPhone 3GS and just a minority are affected, but stories like that popping up 2 days after launch doesn't sound good, that's all. I absolutely understand the reason Apple pulls stories and handles the situations so well (I hear of people walking into the store and getting on-the-spot replacements with no trouble all the time).

Jimzip
  • Reply 135 of 140
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Errrr ... An upgrade is an upgrade. A whole new system is more than an upgrade. ATT fucked itself in the ass by going with the GSM stack. That's their fault and their fault only. Verizon and Sprint were wise enough not to get on that train. They have upgradable networks. ATT does not. The best they can do is replace it piece by piece.

LTE is pretty much the last laugh. Qualcomm won.
  • Reply 136 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Errrr ... An upgrade is an upgrade. A whole new system is more than an upgrade. ATT fucked itself in the ass by going with the GSM stack. That's their fault and their fault only. Verizon and Sprint were wise enough not to get on that train. They have upgradable networks. ATT does not. The best they can do is replace it piece by piece.

LTE is pretty much the last laugh. Qualcomm won.

I can't find anything that shows that Qualcomm has any special control over LTE. The Qualcomm name didn't appear on any of the LTE documents that I've looked at when trying to find what you're talking about.
  • Reply 137 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can't find anything that shows that Qualcomm has any special control over LTE. The Qualcomm name didn't appear on any of the LTE documents that I've looked at when trying to find what you're talking about.

I can?t figure out if he saying that LTE is a joke itself or that the GSM-based carriers are a joke for eventually moving to it. He also made no mention of AT&T upgrades with UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, the future Evolved HSPA; or the upgrade from 1700MHz to 850MHz for the 3G spectrum or even the GSM-only areas that are being upgraded to WCDMA. I?m guessing he might be misinformed (which is usually the case when agreeing with a certain someone) but I would like some clarification before making up my mind.
  • Reply 138 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I can?t figure out if he saying that LTE is a joke itself or that the GSM-based carriers are a joke for eventually moving to it. He also made no mention of AT&T upgrades with UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, the future Evolved HSPA; or the upgrade from 1700MHz to 850MHz for the 3G spectrum or even the GSM-only areas that are being upgraded to WCDMA. I?m guessing he might be misinformed (which is usually the case when agreeing with a certain someone) but I would like some clarification before making up my mind.

Yeah, on reflection, the whole thing could be just a long, sarcastic post, something I didn't realize at first.
  • Reply 139 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, on reflection, the whole thing could be just a long, sarcastic post, something I didn't realize at first.

You may be right.
  • Reply 140 of 140
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Has anyone else tried resetting their fw yet as per that link? I will probably try mine tomorrow.