White iPhone 3GS units discoloring from excessive heat

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I think the same group of drunk monkeys doing OS interface design at Apple are also doing their quality control.

Let's see YOUR credentials buddy. You think you can do a better job? Maybe you ought to take a look at the drunk retarded monkeys up in Redmond.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

They would also cost several hundreds of dollars more. I'd say it's a good trade-off, but I'm not sure the majority would.

Not hundreds. The difference is less than you would think, but even $20 of added cost is often the difference between profitability and failure in today's market. Still, they could manufacture in another developing east-asian nation, like the Philippines, and at least be slightly better about respecting human rights.
  • Reply 83 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1443216]
    Quote:

1) The reason to buy a phone, as you’ve stated many times, is to make calls. Something that is impossible to do on AT&T, as you’ve also stated many times.

As you have stated (ad nauseum), AT&T will fix their 3G network with an eventual overhaul. All networks have dropped calls. CDMA is not coming to the iPhone accrding to you.

Quote:

2) The Video is only VGA and the CMOS and lens is worse than some Nokia phones from 2007. We know this because you told us how great those cameras were and how Apple could have added video at any time they wanted.

I only stated the truith-that Apple could have added video at any time - and they could have. Now that time has arrived and it is very decent video. You got me confused with somebody else. I know you find it hard to believe that there may actually be more than one negative posting from another poster on here.

Quote:

3) The video is only possible because of the new speed so to say that video is better than the speed is silly.

People are already complaing about the speed of Safari compared to the 3G.. No one has complained about the video

Quote:

4) Regardless of your recent lip service about the Touch and the new iPhone you have stated many, many times (ad nauseam) that a glass covered display is bad because it’s creates too much glare. Surely you haven’t forgotten, “people who like glossy displays are ignorant!”

That is not my quote- perhaps you have it confused me someone you may think is my alias.

Again glossy applies to a large screen as in an iMac or cinema display.

Quote:

5) If you want a good portable video camera buy that for a few hundred dollars instead of paying thousands for a decent phone video camera "that can’t even make calls because AT&T sucks."

I already own an excellent 16:9 Sony video camera. Again it's like a weight scale - the plusses have overpowered the minuses (AT&T). Now is the time for me to buy.
  • Reply 84 of 140
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dezlboy View Post

This web site says to reload the 3.0 firmware to fix heat problem.

http://orangecountycomputer.com/2009...y-life-issues/

So, based on my reading of the info at this site, one's iPhone only has this problem and requires this 'fix' if it is at least warm on standby.
    Whats happing is the Iphone 3GS processor is running at 100% when in standby.

Thus causing the phone to overheat and the battery life is shorted drastically.
    Is this how everyone else is reading this?
  • Reply 85 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

]As you have stated (ad nauseum), AT&T will fix their 3G network with an eventual overhaul. All networks have dropped calls. CDMA is not coming to the iPhone accrding to you.

You keep using the word fix like it?s currently broken.Your inability to understand variances is astounding. They will upgrade their network as all carriers do (you refer to this as merely patching on AT&T) and it will still have issues because there will be a lot more people using phones, especially iPhones, on AT&T?s network which will cause more congestion. This cycle will not be ending anytime soon.

Quote:

I only stated the truith-that Apple could have added video at any time - and they could have. Now that time has arrived and it is very decent video.

No, they couldn?t have. If you think Apple was going to up the CPU and allow for a poor resolution 10fps video then you are, as usual, gravely mistaken.

Quote:

People are already complaing about the speed of Safari compared to the 3G.. No one has complained about the video

That is not my quote- perhaps you have it confused me someone you may think is my alias.

Again glossy applies to a large screen as in an iMac or cinema display.

Yes, they have complained about the video, you just have chosen not to listen. You?re going flipside with your lack of objectivity because you now have an unnatural focus for the video camera. It?s still a 3Mpx camera in a very thin phone. You are better off with a Nokia or a pocket sized stand alone device if that is what you want. Remember, you said that you can?t make calls on the iPhone? and your all you friends agreed.

Oh, I wasn?t aware that reflections off glass don?t exist on smaller screens. Teckstudian logic at its best!

Quote:

I already own an excellent 16:9 Sony video camera. Again it's like a weight scale - the plusses have overpowerd the minuses (AT&T). Now is the time for me to buy.

I hope you do buy it and I hope that AT&T?s network still is subpar in your area. I?d love for you to be stuck with an iPhone that is costing you ~$100/month to have yet doesn?t offer you much more than your Touch and a lot less than buying a simple pocket video camera. I?ll be laughing every time you complain about it.
  • Reply 86 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope you do buy it and I hope that AT&T’s network still is subpar in your area. I’d love for you to be stuck with an iPhone that is costing you ~$100/month to have yet doesn’t offer you much more than your Touch and a lot less than buying a simple pocket video camera. I’ll be laughing every time you complain about it.

Well that about sums you up. Wishing such negative thoughts on others does not bring about good karma (do you even know what that means?) and is definitely not the AppleInsider's philosophy. Others on here have been real cool about my new purchase except you. Thanks.
  • Reply 87 of 140
    Quote:

Well that about sums you up. Wishing such negative thoughts on others does not bring about good karma (do you even know what that means?). Others on here have been real cool about my new purchase except you. Thanks.

With all your negative comments here about everything Apple makes without the slightest hint of objectiveness I know I won’t be alone in finding the humour in your poorly thought out purchase. An ironic payback of sorts for your attitude on these boards.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    dezlboydezlboy Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, based on my reading of the info at this site, one's iPhone only has this problem and requires this 'fix' if it is at least warm on standby.
    Whats happing is the Iphone 3GS processor is running at 100% when in standby.

Thus causing the phone to overheat and the battery life is shorted drastically.
    Is this how everyone else is reading this?

I'm reading it the same way. Thus, don't know if this fix (?) applies to the issue of the iPhone getting hot when it is used for (power intensive) stuff. Maybe a warm iPhone at rest, becomes a hotter iPhone when used?

I assume that soon we might hear from others if this fix works.... maybe.....
  • Reply 89 of 140
    dezlboydezlboy Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Interesting. Thanks for the link!

You're welcomed. I have no idea if this works, nor do I fully understand what to do. And,,,,what's worse, I don't even have an iPhone, yet.
  • Reply 90 of 140
    Quote:

With all your negative comments here about everything Apple makes without the slightest hint of objectiveness I know I won’t be alone in finding the humour in your poorly thought out purchase. An ironic payback of sorts for your attitude on these boards.

I have always been unbiased and objective as opposed to your endless chearleading. You clearly carry a vendetta against anyone who has not seen eye to eye with you on any Apple shortcoming whatsover. My purchase has been thought out for over 2 years!! I just don't run out and buy whatever Apple puts out there as you most obviously do. It's rather sad that you would just buy something simply for the fact that Apple has put it out on the market- for that very reason alone.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, the excuse "it's Apple's (insert item here), they can do what they want." is a bit tiresome. What's the point of Apple providing a support forum if they're going to censor the support issues that are included? I can see them removing offensive or irrelevant posts, but legitimate hardware issues? What makes them sound worse, that there's a couple hundred posts complaining about iPhone overheating issues or the fact that Apple seemingly is trying to cover up the problem? And what does the Pre have to do with anything? Yes, the press holds Apple to a higher standard (don't most Apple fans as well?), but Apple should already be aware of that and acknowledge issues, not attempt to bury them.

Any company has the right to do what they want within the law. If they don?t want people slandering their product on their forums they have the right to remove it. Having one or a few people with the problem is not a pervasive issue but, as stated already, the internet effect can make a single person?s issue in widespread problem. And if the media gets ahold of this they can say that Apple clearly knows about this and acknowledges it as it?s on their very forums. If you had a product?s name you are trying to protect you would do the same thing, but in this case you have already determined that the problem is so massive that it isn?t irrelevant and that even a single user?s HW issue with a consumer electronic device should be made into a huge spectacle simply because it?s Apple and the press hold Apple to higher standards? Does that really make sense? If you have a problem you call them at 1-800-MY-APPLE or go into an Apple Store. They will fix the problem or give you a new phone, depending on the issue. That is how these things usually work with CE, but I guess if you hold Apple to a higher standard, as you stated, you expect them to act differently than other companies. I don?t. To me Apple is just a company that makes products that some people prefer and other don?t, just like any other company.
  • Reply 92 of 140
    Quote:

To me Apple is just a company that makes products that some people prefer and other don’t, just like any other company.

And you seem to prefer and buy them all. How's that iPhone Edge of yours doing?
  • Reply 93 of 140
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

4) Regardless of your recent lip service about the Touch and the new iPhone you have stated many, many times (ad nauseam) that a glass covered display is bad because it?s creates too much glare. Surely you haven?t forgotten, ?people who like glossy displays are ignorant!?

I know that you're just playing devil's advocate (and it's rather amusing ), but I'd like to defend Teckstud on this point.

With a hand-held device like a Touch or an iPhone, it is very easy to position the display to minimise reflections. So you get the benefits of a glossy display, namely "punchier" colour and contrast, with none of the drawbacks.

As soon as you jump up to a even a laptop, it becomes much harder to avoid those reflections. I've got a 15" MacBook Pro and am constantly annoyed by the reflection problem. If there had been a non-glossy option, I would have taken it, but Apple didn't give me the choice
  • Reply 94 of 140
    Quote:

And you seem to prefer them all. How's that iPhone Edge of yours doing?

It worked out great for the year i used it before the 3G model came alone. Some of us are realistic in our needs and understand that the 3GS wasn?t possible 2 years ago, just as you will undoubtedly complain that the 3GS isn?t as good as next year?s model so it must mean Apple is screwing you.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I know that you're just playing devil's advocate (and it's rather amusing ), but I'd like to defend Teckstud on this point.

With a hand-held device like a Touch or an iPhone, it is very easy to position the display to minimise reflections. So you get the benefits of a glossy display, namely "punchier" colour and contrast, with none of the drawbacks.

As soon as you jump up to a even a laptop, it becomes much harder to avoid those reflections. I've got a 15" MacBook Pro and am constantly annoyed by the reflection problem. If there had been a non-glossy option, I would have taken it, but Apple didn't give me the choice

He knows exactly what I meant. He's just nitpicking my every word to try and drive some ridiculous point across
  • Reply 96 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That is only an issue is certain environments. Most people?s home?s don?t have the sunlight coming through the ceiling or have florescent lights above them. Teckstud?s comments have never been qualified with anything other than glossy suck for everyone in every situation when that simply isn?t the case.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    Quote:

It worked out great for the year i used it before the 3G model came alone. Some of us are realistic in our needs and understand that the 3GS wasn?t possible 2 years ago, just as you will undoubtedly complain that the 3GS isn?t as good as next year?s model so it must mean Apple is screwing you.

I've waited 2 years to make my purchase and yet I'm not realistic in my needs?
  • Reply 98 of 140
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

I have always been unbiased and objective as opposed to your endless chearleading.

HaHaHa! This is the funniest thing I have seen here in a long time.
  • Reply 99 of 140
    Quote:

That is only an issue is certain environments. Most people’s home’s don’t have the sunlight coming through the ceiling or have florescent lights above them. Teckstud’s comments have never been qualified with anything other than glossy suck for everyone in every situation when that simply isn’t the case.

I have never and would never have any reason to state that in the iPhone/Touch's case just as Mr.H commented. It's really quite obvious and not that difficult to understand. Every iPod has had a glossy display since day 1.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    Quote:

I've waited 2 years to make my purchase and yet I'm not realistic in my needs?

1) You think AT&T is broken and will magically get fixed by Spetember because someone told you that. Realistic?

2) You think that the 2 previous iPhones could do video recording well simply because they are iPhones. Realistic?

3) You think that Apple has been holding AT&T back from releasing MMS, yet not the other carriers it partners with. Realistic?

4) You think that the video camera in the iPhone is more important than the phone and don?t understand how the new HW of the iPhone is tied to the video camera capabilities. Realistic?

5) You heard one issue about the battery over heating and immediately made comments about waiting for the recall to occur before buying. Realistic?

Cameronj was right!