Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
A few things do discuss, without giving too many spoilers:

1) Story

2) Effects

3) Politics

4) Paradigm

First of all, the story was ok. A little short on plot, but as much is to be expected from almost any movie these days. The acting was average. Directing was par-for-the-Cameron-course for anyone who has seen Aliens. In fact with the Weaver character, cryogenics, robotic armor, there was so much allusion to Aliens that it was a little tiresome. But it was just as entertaining as any action blockbuster these days (which isn't saying much -- really not my kind of film).

The effects were the best ever in any movie. The art was beautiful. It made the visual effects in Lord of the Rings look like something a freshman animation student would produce. The 3D tech was great and there was fortunately very little "projectile-in-your-face" gimmickry.

This was definitely a political movie with an anti-war message, as well as a pro-environment one. We'll save further discussion on this for later.

Now, Paradigm: Is 3D the new standard for blockbusters? Are we ever going to be able to see a "flat" movie again without calling it boring the same way we can no longer see a movie with any sort of plot or character complexity?

Aliens, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park forever changed the way we look at film. It's nearly impossible to catch a movie that people don't brand a "chick flick" anymore that doesn't have exploding vehicles and more gun battles than conversations.

Now, all that violence will be brought to you in perfect 3D. Yay.

But... Avatar was a hell of a good movie. The same way Terminator 2 blew you away the first time you saw it, Avatar will have you stunned. If not for the advances in visual effects, it still would have been a good movie. But I'm still waiting for the next cinematic masterpiece, and without the effects, this wouldn't have been it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

1) Story

2) Effects

3) Politics

4) Paradigm

First of all, the story was ok. A little short on plot, but as much is to be expected from almost any movie these days. The acting was average. Directing was par-for-the-Cameron-course for anyone who has seen Aliens. In fact with the Weaver character, cryogenics, robotic armor, there was so much allusion to Aliens that it was a little tiresome. But it was just as entertaining as any action blockbuster these days (which isn't saying much -- really not my kind of film).

The effects were the best ever in any movie. The art was beautiful. It made the visual effects in Lord of the Rings look like something a freshman animation student would produce. The 3D tech was great and there was fortunately very little "projectile-in-your-face" gimmickry.

This was definitely a political movie with an anti-war message, as well as a pro-environment one. We'll save further discussion on this for later.

Now, Paradigm: Is 3D the new standard for blockbusters? Are we ever going to be able to see a "flat" movie again without calling it boring the same way we can no longer see a movie with any sort of plot or character complexity?

Aliens, Terminator 3 and Jurassic Park forever changed the way we look at film. It's nearly impossible to catch a movie that people don't brand a "chick flick" anymore that doesn't have exploding vehicles and more gun battles than conversations.

Now, all that violence will be brought to you in perfect 3D. Yay.

But... Avatar was a hell of a good movie. The same way Terminator 3 blew you away the first time you saw it, Avatar will have you stunned. If not for the advances in visual effects, it still would have been a good movie. But I'm still waiting for the next cinematic masterpiece, and without the effects, this wouldn't have been it.

I assume you mean Terminator 2. Terminator 3 was horrible.

Edit: Would you recommend Avatar in general? I am not always looking for a cinematic masterpiece. Is it entertaining...does it suspend disbelief?
  • Reply 2 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I assume you mean Terminator 2. Terminator 3 was horrible.

I think he was referring to the special effects... the "liquid morphing metal" effect specifically. It was new and state-of-the-art with that movie.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I think he was referring to the special effects... the "liquid morphing metal" effect specifically. It was new and state-of-the-art with that movie.

That's still 2, not 3.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

That's still 2, not 3.

Right you are, and fixed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Edit: Would you recommend Avatar in general? I am not always looking for a cinematic masterpiece. Is it entertaining...does it suspend disbelief?

Absolutely, on all fronts.

I think no matter what type of movie you prefer, Avatar is a must see, and highly enjoyable for many reasons. And you'll be dreaming of blue titties for a while.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

That's still 2, not 3.

My bad!.... I do better with Cary Grant movies
  • Reply 6 of 98
    We saw a five-minute preview to Avatar just before seeing Up! in 3D and the graphics looked pretty nice, but the story and acting didn't make me want to see it.

On another note: the new 3D glasses (at least at our local theater) are a pain for people who wear glasses; I had to hold them by hand throughout the entire movie and my glasses have very small frames that shouldn't have been a problem. I have a pare of over-glasses sunglasses that work fine; why couldn't they do this any better? The wife wants to see Up! again for Christmas but we're going to the flat screen version.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    3D is just a gimmick to get people into the theaters.

I'm able to wait 'till stuff comes out on DVD/on demand... I haven't been to a movie theater in years. I can only imagine there are lots of other people acting the same way. (I've seen parts of UP!... this is the first I knew it was 3D in theaters.)
  • Reply 8 of 98
    We mainly watch DVDs and sat movies... go to the theater about 2 or 3 times a year. This year it was for Star Trek (awesome) and Up! (awesome).

Up! is pretty cool in 3D despite the goggle problem. Pixar's first venture into 3D.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

I think no matter what type of movie you prefer, Avatar is a must see, and highly enjoyable for many reasons. And you'll be dreaming of blue titties for a while.

So that's where Luke's blue milk comes from.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We saw a five-minute preview to Avatar just before seeing Up! in 3D and the graphics looked pretty nice, but the story and acting didn't make me want to see it.

On another note: the new 3D glasses (at least at our local theater) are a pain for people who wear glasses; I had to hold them by hand throughout the entire movie and my glasses have very small frames that shouldn't have been a problem. I have a pare of over-glasses sunglasses that work fine; why couldn't they do this any better? The wife wants to see Up! again for Christmas but we're going to the flat screen version.

Up! Sucked. The worst Pixar movie ever. Even worse than Cars. But I didn't see the 3D version, so the assertion that 3D is a gimmick might not be so accurate, if it totally changes people's perception.

Don't avoid seeing Avatar just because of the preview.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Just saw it. Came straight to AppleOutsider to see if there was a thread. GO SEE IT. 3D OR NOT 3D. IT'S WORTH CHECKING OUT.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    Quote:

1) Story

2) Effects

3) Politics

4) Paradigm

1. Story was alright. You could see the "Hand of Cameron" throughout especially the mecha design and his usual take on space/army/tech life, but I think exploring the "Gaia" stuff and the nature, the interaction with the biology and the natives, that was really good.

2. ABSOLUTELY MINDBLOWING*. The main thing is the facial expression and the fluid animation. A lot of motion capture, I think, but whatever their secret sauce is, it's pretty good stuff. Again, facial expressions. Amazing. The rendering quality, well, I saw it in regular 2D at a local cineplex off a film print, pretty seamless, does suspend disbelief.

*It works better than usual because, you, the viewer, are also a kind of Avatar of sorts in this different world. Watch it and you'll know what I'm talking about.

3. Politics. Pretty obvious. The only thing I will say is that if our own world is going to hell on a handbasket, beyond nature-based sprituality, non-dualism-based spirituality would be more of the answer. That is, Forgiveness. Maybe temperatures will rise this century by 5 deg C. Maybe 1. Maybe 10. On this Earth, I think, it's just the gawddammned population, man... Stop breeding, for chrissakes? Why are there so many, so many new humans in the worst possible areas for sustainable survival? A cruel joke... a cruel joke.

4. Paradigm. I think mainstream, non-effects and chick-flick movies are pretty meh for me nowadays. I don't need guns and explosions (not all the time). I saw Coraline on iTunes rental and that was brilliant. Twilight (the first one) was strange. I don't enjoy that many movies nowadays, games like Left4Dead, Borderlands, FEAR:Project Origin, Wolfenstein (the latest one) all have much deeper plot, scenery and emotional content than so many movies this year. Just like, IMO, Coraline put so many computer-animated "kids" movies to shame, Avatar just wipes the floor of those that tried to blend real-life humans with CG imagery. It's not perfect, but Avatar sets a new benchmark, particularly in realistic character and animal animation. In terms of scenery and disaster scenarios 2012 was pretty impressive.

I think there's too many movies out there trying to do too many things. I for one watched much less movies this year. I however did play a few real solid games on PC, and caught some interesting TV shows like Lost, Galactica, Stargate:Atlantis (average) and Stargate Universe (promising).

I tend to be very picky with movies, particularly if I'm going to pay for it at the cinema. I really try and avoid pirating nowadays, I'll wait for it on my local satellite TV or iTunes rental.

I'm going to continue to be picky with movies. UP just never caught my fancy, without Steve I wonder what Pixar is really up to nowadays? More vampire movies, rom-coms, meh.

Gamer was an interesting movie for me, because it was quite relevant to me and society in general, I thought.

But other than recent memory of 2012 and Gamer, I can't even recall any other movies this year I saw. Very strange, but that's the way movies are... Hmm... movies... 1st half of this year... umm... nope, can't recall anything outstanding.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    Quote:

And you'll be dreaming of blue titties for a while.

A giant, sexy, amazonian (boy, she's tall ), tribal-blue alien woman-esque-thing with a tail. Disturbingly HOT.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

So that's where Luke's blue milk comes from.

BTW... I think they served too much of it at Jedi Academy. Probably one of the things that pissed Anakin off so much: "...Not letting me visit my mom, who was still a slave the whole time, by the way, is one thing. But, Jedi council, you and your gawddammned blue milk. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, geeez...!!!"

Makes me think of that joke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies - not served with blue milk.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    Now I remember... Orphan. Great, twisted movie. If I had kids myself I probably would not have enjoyed it as much as I did...
  • Reply 16 of 98
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Right you are, and fixed.

Absolutely, on all fronts.

Mmm...blue titties.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

2. ABSOLUTELY MINDBLOWING*. The main thing is the facial expression and the fluid animation. A lot of motion capture, I think, but whatever their secret sauce is, it's pretty good stuff. Again, facial expressions. Amazing. The rendering quality, well, I saw it in regular 2D at a local cineplex off a film print, pretty seamless, does suspend disbelief.

It's all mocap based. The actors acted including the emotion and these were mocap'd and applied to the models. It's not the usual animation with the actors speaking in a mike and the animators bringing it to life. It's the actors moving through pretty much all the action on a soundstage.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Does anyone think this James Cameron film will best the Titanic?
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Does anyone think this James Cameron film will best the Titanic?

Oh, come on. Aliens is Cameron's best movie before Avatar. Actually I think Titanic would have been much better without the Celine Dion overdose.

Actually, Titanic wasn't such a bad movie. People love to bash it because it absolutely, positively did not deserve the best picture award. But it wasn't that bad of a flick.

If Avatar is nominated for Best Picture this year, we'll have a lot of people bashing it too. But this time it might actually deserve it. I haven't seen "Up in the Air" yet, though. I bet you anything one of those two movies will win, depending on the mood of the Academy... new paradigm or old?
  • Reply 20 of 98
    Couldn't resist: