Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Then you've seen it right?

Because it's really about the experience. It's every SF book I've read that involved other planets and cultures portrayed on the screen. If it were more realistic I'm sure the Naivie ( don't know about the spelling ) would be less human but being humanoid makes us more sympathetic to them. So you've seen it right? Did you see it in 3D? Because that's really the way to see this movie.

Yea wiz bang golly 3D wowsers. I just don't think the technology pissing contest can vault a movie to the all time 10 ten sci fi. Pull away the 3D and the CGI and does this movie hold up? Not at all. Have you seen Dark City? Even Donnie Darko is better. I'd put Contact ahead of it. Avatar is mostly eye candy. It's the wet t-shirt contest of sci fi.

The movie makes maybe one comment on humanity and an well worn one at that.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Yea wiz bang golly 3D wowsers. I just don't think the technology pissing contest can vault a movie to the all time 10 ten sci fi. Pull away the 3D and the CGI and does this movie hold up? Not at all. Have you seen Dark City? Even Donnie Darko is better. I'd put Contact ahead of it. Avatar is mostly eye candy. It's the wet t-shirt contest of sci fi.

The movie makes maybe one comment on humanity and an well worn one at that.

Have you seen Avatar in 3D?

Avatar will change the way movies are made in a fundimental manner by simply being able to make CGI characters believable and 3D an art in itself. Think of the uses!

Yes I've seen Dark City. It's a fine movie. I like Contact also but on a bigger level Avatar has done something they didn't. That is put you into an alien world ( just like the ones you used to imagine when you read a book ) and with 3D add a dimension of reality that 2D doesn't have ( actually more detail ). The story wasn't bad it was just derivative. The whole experience is the thing. As a matter of fact I'll make a prediction. 3D plus HD will now make a bigger impact in the way we watch tv at home than either one would have by themselves.

Besides now they can make John Carter of Mars, Elric, Nine Princes in Amber, and just about any other great novel I've read into a motion picture without it looking cheesy.

So have you seen Avatar in 3D? Because if you haven't you haven't seen the full potential of this movie. I was prepared not to be as impressed as I was. I was blown away. Even though the story is familure the way it's portrayed makes you feel for the characters and get excited about the story. And it's a trilogy so it's even more interesting. Given that aspect it could turn out that Avatar has more to it than it appears.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Citing SF greats is all very well but the intent was to be this generations Star Wars. A pretty hefty goal even for someone like Cameron.

Star Wars didn't exactly have the most complex of plots either. Star Wars and Avatar are so far removed from a movie like Dark City or Blade Runner they might as well be in a different genre. If you make direct comparisons you've kinda missed the point.

Here's is an interesting comparison tho'...

Originally film made with constraints:

Lucas: Star Wars

Cameron: The Terminator

Absolute creative control of a film with almost no constraints:

Lucas: Phantom Menace

Cameron: Avatar
  • Reply 64 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Citing SF greats is all very well but the intent was to be this generations Star Wars. A pretty hefty goal even for someone like Cameron.

Star Wars didn't exactly have the most complex of plots either. Star Wars and Avatar are so far removed from a movie like Dark City or Blade Runner they might as well be in a different genre. If you make direct comparisons you've kinda missed the point.

Here's is an interesting comparison tho'...

Originally film made with constraints:

Lucas: Star Wars

Cameron: The Terminator

Absolute creative control of a film with almost no constraints:

Lucas: Phantom Menace

Cameron: Avatar

In comparison to Phantom Menace the winner is Avatar. This is a hilarious and poignant review of Phantom Menace.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    Actually, it's just a prettified Endor, with blue Ewoks.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    Quote:

Besides now they can make John Carter of Mars, Elric, Nine Princes in Amber, and just about any other great novel I've read into a motion picture without it looking cheesy.

I would love to see what they could do with the CS Lewis Space Trilogy. Perelandra would be beautiful!
  • Reply 67 of 98
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:

Have you seen Avatar in 3D?

Avatar will change the way movies are made in a fundimental manner by simply being able to make CGI characters believable and 3D an art in itself. Think of the uses!

Yes I've seen Dark City. It's a fine movie. I like Contact also but on a bigger level Avatar has done something they didn't. That is put you into an alien world ( just like the ones you used to imagine when you read a book ) and with 3D add a dimension of reality that 2D doesn't have ( actually more detail ). The story wasn't bad it was just derivative. The whole experience is the thing. As a matter of fact I'll make a prediction. 3D plus HD will now make a bigger impact in the way we watch tv at home than either one would have by themselves.

So have you seen Avatar in 3D? Because if you haven't you haven't seen the full potential of this movie. I was prepared not to be as impressed as I was. I was blown away. Even though the story is familure the way it's portrayed makes you feel for the characters and get excited about the story. And it's a trilogy so it's even more interesting. Given that aspect it could turn out that Avatar has more to it than it appears.

So for you Avatar is great movie because it demo'ed some emergent technology that other maybe better movies could use. And that puts it in the top 10? I think a digital short would have sufficed.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Hi friends

I watched titanic and then this. They are both completely amazing, stick your face into the tv screen movies. Even that is a understatement.This movie is the best i think i will ever see, i get butterflies

The end makes me think? MAKE A SECOND ONE ! SECOND ONE!!

And oh gosh. absolutely love it and when i get the dvd. I?ll buy 6 and i will keep them all safe. Never lose them, scratch them. If i do ill burn them! i am keeping this bloody movie forever. i am trying to form it into words but i just cant!

James Cameron.The best man in the world,

Producing 2 BEST EVER movies in the whole bloody world.Titanic & Avatar.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I want to know why Trudy, DESERTER DURING BATTLE, was not also imprisoned? That made no fucking sense! Plot holes usually don't bother me, but it was just so glaring.....
  • Reply 70 of 98
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I want to know why Trudy, DESERTER DURING BATTLE, was not also imprisoned? That made no fucking sense! Plot holes usually don't bother me, but it was just so glaring.....

Because it wasn't a military operation. The military types were all ex-military, now working as civilian corporate security contractors. Kind of a Blackwater run amok.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Because it wasn't a military operation. The military types were all ex-military, now working as civilian corporate security contractors. Kind of a Blackwater run amok.

So what if it wasn't military? How is that at all relevant? They imprisoned the other native sympathizers, and she clearly was one of them. Again, she deserted in battle, and apparently suffers no consequences!
  • Reply 72 of 98
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

So for you Avatar is great movie because it demo'ed some emergent technology that other maybe better movies could use. And that puts it in the top 10? I think a digital short would have sufficed.

So you have seen it in 3D right? You weren't clear on that point.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Quote:

So what if it wasn't military? How is that at all relevant? They imprisoned the other native sympathizers, and she clearly was one of them. Again, she deserted in battle, and apparently suffers no consequences!

It?s pretty simple. One group actively hindered the companies ability to function, even destroying property while the other simply decided not to participate in the one activity. If it was known that she didn?t firs on the tree then she might have been written up or put on some crap assignment, but I doubt it as it was clear many didn?t care for what they were doing and those hard ex-military types might have looked at her differently in that case because she is a ?girl?. Whatever reasoning you want to give to it, the only one that doesn?t make sense is to imprison her for not blowing up a tree.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Whatever reasoning you want to give to it, the only one that doesn’t make sense is to imprison her for not blowing up a tree.

Why? It was a major operation, and she directly defied orders. It makes perfect sense that she would be dealt with severely, especially given the fact that the ex-marine (whatever the heck his name was) had emasculated the ostensible leader and had complete control of the operation. No apparent punishment, and allowing access to sympathizers with whom she was known to be friendly is what makes no sense.

I mean, she still apparently had easy access to flight equipment! The whole scene was incredibly lazily, and incredibly poorly done. It was a 2.5 hour movie. Another couple minutes for that scene to make a lick of sense wouldn't have hurt.

Oh, and one more thing: why do you trivialize "blowing up a tree?" I hate to break it to you, but whether or not to "blow up the tree", how to blow up the tree, and how long to try to negotiate before blowing up the tree was kind of a big plot point.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    I hate to jump into a perfectly good argument, but some people mentioned not seeing this in 3-D... and someone mentioned not even being in a movie theater in years...

Well, I urge you to check out 3-D now. It IS NOT anything like the 3-D movies of a couple decades ago, or even a few years ago -- there is not distortion, or blurriness. It's amazing to witness the technology now. I remember going to see Jaws 3-D, or Friday the 13th 3-D in theaters, and it was crap. (yes, I'm old).

This ends my public service announcement... carry on...
  • Reply 76 of 98
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Why? It was a major operation, and she directly defied orders. It makes perfect sense that she would be dealt with severely, especially given the fact that the ex-marine (whatever the heck his name was) had emasculated the ostensible leader and had complete control of the operation. No apparent punishment, and allowing access to sympathizers with whom she was known to be friendly is what makes no sense.

I mean, she still apparently had easy access to flight equipment! The whole scene was incredibly lazily, and incredibly poorly done. It was a 2.5 hour movie. Another couple minutes for that scene to make a lick of sense wouldn't have hurt.

Oh, and one more thing: why do you trivialize "blowing up a tree?" I hate to break it to you, but whether or not to "blow up the tree", how to blow up the tree, and how long to try to negotiate before blowing up the tree was kind of a big plot point.

<facepalm> And people wonder why so many have so little hope for humanity.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    Quote:

So she should be arrested for not doing a civilian job that was not part of her regular duties as a pilot? Yet, we see Jack Sully DESTROY corporate property by knocking out the cameras on the dozer and then see him in the corporate command center along with Grace arguing their point, not held up in a cell or in cuffs. Later the guy in charge, played by Giovanni Ribisi, lets them back into the Avatar to attempt to plead with them.

On top of that, Parker, the boss, had to be convinced by ex-Colonel Miles Quaritch to give the corporate go ahead to destroy Home Tree which he was reluctant to do and which visually saddened many as a result.

Finally, one of the first thing Jack Sully states when getting off the transport is that these were ex-military working for a corporation as protection.

So, again, what part of any of that is a deserting your post during wartime. The answer: None of it! Would she have gotten written up, fired, put on some crap detail or had her pay docked in accordance with her corporate contract, sure. We don?t even know if her character was originally military, just that she was a pilot. Michelle Rodriguez always plays the same character so she could have been a surfer, street racing groupie or cop stuck on a mysterious island in a past life.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So she should be arrested for not doing a civilian job that was not part of her regular duties as a pilot?

In a word, Yes. It was not a 'civilian' job in any normal sense. Sully et al. were not in some typical prison. There was no government present! Only the corporation. Thus, the corporation is the de facto government and ONLY source of authority. This seems to be our fundamental disconnect.

Quote:

So, again, what part of any of that is a deserting your post during wartime.

Once Parker gave Quaritch the go ahead, he was in charge of the whole she-bang. We don't even see Parker after that. It was deserting a post during wartime because Quaritch had control, and a war is what Quaritch treated it as. There is no way in hell a control freak like that would have let Trudy run around free. She would have been in the brig just like Sully et al, scheduled on the next ship for Earth.

Trudy was ex-military. It was discussed in her very first scene.

Again, it was a lazily and poorly done scene that made no sense at all.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:

In a word, Yes. It was not a 'civilian' job in any normal sense. Sully et al. were not in some typical prison. There was no government present! Only the corporation. Thus, the corporation is the de facto government and ONLY source of authority. This seems to be our fundamental disconnect.

So if the corporation is in control then you shouldn?t assume that she should be imprisoned for not doing a job that she wasn?t employed to do and that even Parker was reluctant to give the go ahead to do. You?re still focusing on this being a military operation with Quartich as the supreme commander.

Quote:

Once Parker gave Quaritch the go ahead, he was in charge of the whole she-bang. We don't even see Parker after that.

Sure we do.

Quote:

It was deserting a post during wartime because Quaritch had control, and a war is what Quaritch treated it as.

There was no wartime. This is a corporation move to mine. Quartich?s feeling on the matter doesn?t make it a military wartime operation. It?s still a corporation working ?overseas?.

Quote:

There is no way in hell a control freak like that would have let Trudy run around free. She would have been in the brig just like Sully et al, scheduled on the next ship for Earth.

Trudy was ex-military. It was discussed in her very first scene.

Again, it was a lazily and poorly done scene that made no sense at all.

If you say she was ex-military I believe you, I just don?t recall it being stated, though it does seem likely. The point is, she is not in the military any longer. She signed up to be a pilot and protect the humans, not commit to destroy the indigenous people. Since Quartich was not in charge of the corporation?s Pandora operations they could have overlooked the whole thing since it was well beyond her duties as a pilot or, as I stated, she could have been reprimanded in other ways, the least of which is to get arrested for not involving herself in xenocide.

You are ignoring the biggest flaw in the flim, and that is the method of the 2nd attack. They came in low, and even sent in ground troops when they outnumbered the Na?vi and even had a ship that could fly out of the atmosphere where the Na?vi coud not reach firing a missle directly down to the area or releasing the bomb from a slightly higher altitude or simply attacking from multiple angles, not an overhead straight-line from the ground and air.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    I'd like to note that you are operating under a ridiculously constrained definition of the word "war."

It doesn't take governments for their to be war. What we had was an armed conflict between two groups. That is a freakin war.

To posit that this corporation was simply treating it as some sort of corporate maneuver and that is wasn't also war is ridiculous.

Quote:

So if the corporation is in control then you shouldn’t assume that she should be imprisoned for not doing a job that she wasn’t employed to do and that even Parker was reluctant to give the go ahead to do. You’re still focusing on this being a military operation with Quartich as the supreme commander.

What? That is PRECISELY what she was employed to do. Provide security and disperse the natives if they won't cooperate. Parker was reluctant to give the order because he clearly realized he was authorizing and act of WAR. Once that ball was rolling, Parker was totally emasculated, and Quartich had de facto control until the enemy was defeated.