Some websites my macbook just can't go on?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I can't get onto some websites. Such as ehow.com, and other useful websites. I try it on my PC and I get on. Safari and Firefox both say they cannot connect to the website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    spammer
  • Reply 2 of 28
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

spammer

I'm normally very quick to spot spammers and potential spammers.

This guy has been a member for two years.

It sounds like reasonable post (and not posted in a hundred other forums.

And doesn't seem to be pimping anything.

What's your beef?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Perhaps his "beef" is the fact that neither Safari nor Firefox have any problem with the site he mentioned, and since that sight was the only "real" thing mentioned in the post, he seems to be pimping the site... trying to drive up traffic on a worthless website perhaps.

On a more useful note... perhaps his ISP has somehow flagged that domain as hostile and blocks it... but then he said he can access it from a PC... is that via the same ISP??? Perhaps a problem with the DNS settings on his MacBook??
  • Reply 4 of 28
    ehow.com isn't accessible for me either. Not in Safari, nor in Firefox or Opera.

This is on an MBP, although I doubt it has anything to do with which machine you use. Oh, and chances are I'm on a different ISP than either the OP, or King...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I'm normally very quick to spot spammers and potential spammers.

This guy has been a member for two years.

It sounds like reasonable post (and not posted in a hundred other forums.

And doesn't seem to be pimping anything.

What's your beef?

No beef, just looked spammy. I didn't report his post or anything. So, his PC works just fine which means the ISP has nothing to do with it. eHow works just fine for me on both my Mac's Safari so we know its not Safari per se.

Clarification of the error would help (is it a 404?) Version of Safari or OS X would help. Screenshots? Can you ping the site? If not no worries but does it at least resolve?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I'm not a spammer. I just used ehow because its a pretty popular site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Perhaps his "beef" is the fact that neither Safari nor Firefox have any problem with the site he mentioned, and since that sight was the only "real" thing mentioned in the post, he seems to be pimping the site... trying to drive up traffic on a worthless website perhaps.

On a more useful note... perhaps his ISP has somehow flagged that domain as hostile and blocks it... but then he said he can access it from a PC... is that via the same ISP??? Perhaps a problem with the DNS settings on his MacBook??

Is there a way to fix that?? Should I take it to the apple store?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

ehow.com isn't accessible for me either. Not in Safari, nor in Firefox or Opera.

This is on an MBP, although I doubt it has anything to do with which machine you use. Oh, and chances are I'm on a different ISP than either the OP, or King...

Im really curious now, since I'm not the only one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

No beef, just looked spammy. I didn't report his post or anything. So, his PC works just fine which means the ISP has nothing to do with it. eHow works just fine for me on both my Mac's Safari so we know its not Safari per se.

Clarification of the error would help (is it a 404?) Version of Safari or OS X would help. Screenshots? Can you ping the site? If not no worries but does it at least resolve?

• Reply 7 of 28
    System Prefs >> Network >> Advanced >>DNS tab >> then delete any numbers in the DNS pane (if it lets you)

May be of no help at all, but perhaps worth a try.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    ehow.com is fine on safari and firefox

most likely the site was down or something. there has been some major exploits for windows making the rounds.

very few IE only sites anymore
  • Reply 9 of 28
    http://www.ehow.com/ wouldn't load in my InternetExplorer 5.2.3 for Mac either. Connection timed out.

And the W3C website validation service raises 51 red flags! That site is hot! Stay away.

• Reply 10 of 28
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    There is a way.

You need to run IE6 on the Mac.

And you can do this WITHOUT installing Windows.

In other words you don't need a Windows license.

No bootcamp, no vmware, no parallel.

It'll run as if it is a native Mac app.

Needs X11 and Intel Mac.

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Ummm... And I still think (I'm not the nicest and the kindest soul out there, you know) the fellow has recently figured out how to spin up his hit counters. You all tried to go see those sites, right?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

You all tried to go see those sites, right?

Sure, and practically none of us got it loaded! So that's not going to be visible in his counters...

I.o.w. if his intent was to generate traffic for that site, he failed miserably!

Now, if this was the first website he built, this could be his way of testing whether he succeeded.

He didn't...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Sure, and practically none of us got it loaded!

Oh, please... MacTripper succeeded, so did bbwi and we-don't-know-how-many-more people.

I doubt so short and meaningful domain name as ehow remained available to little self-employed developer until now.

Anyway, I wouldn't click.

P.S. Website Title: eHow | How To Do Just About Everything! | How To Videos & Articles (I inquired "whois", I didn't click).
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I can still open "ehow" just fine in Safari... it's not a Mac/OSX/Safari problem he's having.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Going to the DNS tab didn't work for me. And no, ehow is not my website. Its just one that seems fairly popular. There was another website that wouldn't work on my mac, but it was my friends car detailing website and I figured that would make me look like a bigger spammer. But if I started the thread saying I can't get on certain websites, I guarantee the first question would be which websites, so to avoid that I gave a good example and apparently I'm not the only one. It just bothers be because every time I look something up on google, that site is one of the first ones to come up.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post

... every time I look something up on google, that site is one of the first ones to come up.

Wow... that really makes it sound like some sort of malware has made it's way onto your computer (Macs aren't immune to them, it's just that nobody writes malicious code targeting them... perhaps that's changing??) (and yes, UNIX/MacOSX would be more difficult to target, but still not impossible.)

Does that site also make the top of google's results when you search from another computer?? (the PC you mentioned.)
  • Reply 17 of 28
    If his Mac/Safari/Firefox won't allow loading that homepage – as mine does (refuse to load, that is) – I'd say that Mac apparently isn't falling for the malware on that ehow.com homepage*. But since King can load it, on his Mac/Safari, it could be that Kevzaz' and my ISPs have (already) blocked that ehow.com, while King's hasn't (yet).

*ehow.com is clearly not a kosher website code, according to the W3C test.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

If his Mac/Safari/Firefox won't allow loading that homepage ? as mine does (refuse to load, that is) ? I'd say that Mac apparently isn't falling for the malware on that ehow.com homepage*. But since King can load it, on his Mac/Safari, it could be that Kevzaz' and my ISPs have (already) blocked that ehow.com, while King's hasn't (yet).

*ehow.com is clearly not a kosher website code, according to the W3C test.

That sounds even more likely than my "on-computer malware" idea. ... but he say's he can get on through his PC (I'm assuming he's accessing it from the same ISP?)... but maybe the PC is in a different location (work?) on a different ISP.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I tried at my school on my mac (wont work)

and I tried at home on both my PC and mac and it wont work.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I just wanted to put it out there that I have this same problem. Every time I ask google a question it seems ehow has the answer and it's one of the first links on the search page but I get the same error page as the orginal poster. It's frustrating... my friend who has a mac said he doesn't have a problem with ehow so I do know it's something random but I have searched and searched and cant find an answer to what's going on.