Some websites my macbook just can't go on?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    I think I have finally found the answer. If you have peer guardian, turn it off.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post

I think I have finally found the answer. If you have peer guardian, turn it off.

You're right, Kevzaz!

I de-installed Peer Guardian (had forgotten what is was for anyway...), I repaired permissions and restarted, and Hey! Presto! eHow.com is suddenly accessible!

Thanks!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You're right, Kevzaz!

I de-installed Peer Guardian (had forgotten what is was for anyway...), I repaired permissions and restarted, and Hey! Presto! eHow.com is suddenly accessible!

Thanks!

I just bought my first mac...a macbook pro...i am a complete novice with computers so i am relatively certain that the problem i am having is from me not being able to adjust some small setting...i can't get into quite a few popular websites from my macbook..they are:

mail.yahoo.com (can't load the page at all)

www.scottrade.com (i can get to the website but can't login)

www.facebook.com (i can get to the website but can't login)

It's almost like sites that require a username and password I can't get to for some reason although I was able to login here...any idea what is going on? how I "deinstall peer guardian" like some others suggested? not sure if that will fix it but i don't even know how to do it so i can't even try...sorry for being such an amateur...i am a large apple shareholder but am brand new to the whole mac experience. a sincere thank you in advance for your help.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    fiverfiver Posts: 1member
    I have a macbook. I have tried Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. While there are quite a few sites that give me issues, most of the time I can find the information I need on a different site, but the one that's really irritating me is Netflix. I can't even get it to come up... it just spins like it's thinking about it, but it will never actually bring the site up (this is the same thing it does with various other sites). I believe an older version of Firefox did bring it up periodically but not often. I just tried eHow, since it's one talked about on this thread, and that happened to come up.

On my daughter's PC laptop, we have no issues at all, so normally, we just use hers, but she took it out of town with her, so I decided it's time to try to fix this.

I called Netflix and my ISP- neither could help at all.

I have never heard of Peer Guardian and don't see it on Finder or anything. I have Snow Leopard and everything's up to date. I even just got a new, bigger hard drive (but the problem happened both before and after that).

I don't recall this happening before the latest version of Firefox, at least on other sites besides Netflix. I got rid of Firefox all together out of vengeance and frustration. But, I still don't know what to do, at all. I looked through my System Prefs, but I can't see that any of that is causing an issue. Of course, I don't understand everything on there, either, but I do understand some of it.

I'd sure love the person who solves this for me.

Oh, so if it is malware, which I didn't know a Mac could actually get, how do I find out, and how do I fix it?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fiver View Post

I have never heard of Peer Guardian and don't see it on Finder or anything.

You have well over half a million files on that MacBook so inspecting them all with the Eyeball mark 1 is not an option. Use the Finder's Find function (Command-F) or Spotlight (on the extreme right in your menubar) to find Peer Guardian files, if they are on your MacBook.

Quote:

[...] I got rid of Firefox all together out of vengeance and frustration.

That is not wise.

Quote:

But, I still don't know what to do, at all. I looked through my System Prefs, but I can't see that any of that is causing an issue. Of course, I don't understand everything on there, either, but I do understand some of it.

I'd sure love the person who solves this for me.

Oh, so if it is malware, which I didn't know a Mac could actually get, how do I find out, and how do I fix it?

Malware is the catch-all for undesirable software. Two major kinds are viruses and Trojan Horses. Viruses are invisible. You can't click them. They sneak into PCs under the radar, unnoticed, unless caught by an active anti-virus scanner. There are over 130,000 viruses for Windows out there. Unprotected Windows PCs get infected after on average 14 seconds of connecting to the internet.

There are NO viruses for OSX! None! Zilch!

Another kind of malware is Trojan Horses. Trojans are visible. Trojans need to be actively installed by the user to start functioning. I.o.w. the user must click a Trojan for it to work. But obviously users wouldn't do that if they recognised it as a Trojan. So that's why Trojans masquerade as something harmless.

If you have clicked something untoward and did install a Trojan you may benefit from Sophos Endpoint or Avast cleaner software.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Hi guys!

I need your help please = for the last 2 days now I've not been able to access some regular websites

Please Note:

1) I joined this site a few minutes ago specifically to post this question

2) I am not a spammer! Just trying to save time and money by asking people more techy than me.

3) I'm not familiar with computer-speak at all, so when responding please give me lay instructions!

OK, so I'm using a Macbook OS X Version 10.4.11.

I can't get on to foxtons.co.uk or visionboardsite.com via safari or firefox, it just says ''Safari Can't find the Server". These are current websites as I have no problems viewing them from my iPhone. I saw an earlier suggestion to switch Peer Guardian but I don't have that.

Thanks in advance for your help!]

Simbi
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simbi View Post

OK, so I'm using a Macbook OS X Version 10.4.11.

That is 'Tiger'! OSX 10.4. Released in 2005! It is old! And consequently probably the source of most of your problems.

Make a good backup, install Snow Leopard and most of your problems will be gone.
  • Reply 28 of 28

I just got my mac laptop but im new to this i have always had microsoft laptops but i been having some issues that i really dont know how to resolve my boyfriend goes to his job website to try to do his training and it wont let him access it and my brother has been trying to access his online classes for school and he clicks on it and it keeps redirecting him to the same page his in how do i solve the problem please help! my boyfriend says that its because alot of programs fuction with windows but to me it sounds like it dont make sense please let me know if anyone can. just join a few minutes ago im not spammer just trying to get answers