Apple asks developers to test fonts in latest Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday afternoon pushed out another private beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3, asking its developer community to test font compatibility and stability alongside a handful of other components that have been in need of evaluation for the past several weeks.

Those other components include iCal, QuickTime and graphics drivers, according to people familiar with the beta software. The last private beta, distributed March 5th and labeled build 10D567, also listed those components as focus areas, in addition to Rosetta and third party printer drivers.

When it's released later this month, Mac OS X 10.6.3 will bundle an update to QuickTime X that improves security and compatibility while also enhancing overall reliability of the media software.

The Snow Leopard update will also include tweaks that enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite and deliver better compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications.

Other fixes baked into the release target issues with mail messages displaying the incorrect background color and problems copying files to a shared Windows volume.

The latest beta carries build number 10D571 and weighs in around 700MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    700 MB!!?? Is it just me or are these update sizes getting larger?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Please Apple add support for TRIM commands--I've been lobbying for this in different forums for sometime. More of are using SSD's.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple asks developers to test fonts in latest Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta

Users ask Apple to release OS X 10.6.3.

In related news: iPad reaches 1.0 - the Apple elite team is back on OS X development.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    tcrowntcrown Posts: 9member
    Any word on the OpenGL rundown of the latest build using OpenGL extension viewer?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

Well I would think that since .3 is a much larger update than .2 or .1, 700 megs makes sense.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

I suspect this is due to the fact that the first two were more 'damage control' for items that required immediate fixes. This release has a much longer cycle and obviously has a more comprehensive testing schedule. Probably a lot more 'nice to haves' in this update than must have right now sort of fixes IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    oscartoscart Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When it's released later this month, Mac OS X 10.6.3 will bundle an update to QuickTime X that improves security and compatibility while also enhancing overall reliability of the media software.

Is it truly official that it'll be released this month (March 2010)? Or just another case of wishful thinking?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    My god, this update takes forever! Smell like duke nukem forever.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Later this month eh? Alongside new MBPs?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Users ask Apple to release OS X 10.6.3.

I'd prefer they take their time and get it right instead.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    jkuhnsjkuhns Posts: 11member
    I hope and pray this will address some of the quicktime problems with frontrow. 5.1 maybe??? and closed captions???? We'll see. Though I do love how AI announces the size of the update for developers, when we all know that in reality we will get something a half or a third of that.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Too late.. They shipped in August.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Please Apple add support for TRIM commands--I've been lobbying for this in different forums for sometime. More of are using SSD's.

Use the right SSD and TRIM doesn't make a difference

I own one in my Mac Pro as my boot drive, and so far I can substantiate it works and negates the need for TRIM. However if Apple does add TRIM, I'm hoping I get the reserve memory back with a firmware update - it would be a nice surprise but not necessary as the drive performs beautifully as is.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    I don't care what Apple is going to bring in with 10.6.3, but if they don't rectify the Finder Error code 36, I'll pissed to an extent that would make Ballmer (with an iPhone) look like a wuss! haha!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

"Cupertino we have a problem" We just cannot seem to get this off the ground.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    It is time to stop using the phrase "weighs in at" to replace "is," when describing the size of updates on this site. The poetry of the metaphor has been lost My Evidence: http://bit.ly/9q1z22
  • Reply 17 of 44
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yanofsky View Post

It is time to stop using the phrase "weighs in at" to replace "is," when describing the size of updates on this site. The poetry of the metaphor has been lost My Evidence: http://bit.ly/9q1z22

With one post to your credit (and as a new participant), I am doubtful that people will take your response seriously. Of course, I haven't been a registered user for much longer. Perhaps I speak from experience, no? ;-)

At least it's good English. I have seen more questionable things on the Internet. But that's just me...

Perhaps you could post something with some long-term pedagogical value, rather than play two-bit copy editor. It will probably help you with your acceptance from the participants. It's just a suggestion though. Do as you please.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Thank God Apple is finally taking the time to get it right.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yanofsky View Post

But how else are the writers to maintain their aura of faux newsy-ness? It's like asking Radio Shack to stop using fake wood paneling on all their fine electronics!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

OpenGL-grounded applications

When referring to software built on a certain technology, the word based is used. I've never heard the term grounded used in this context except here on AI during these 10.6.3 seed announcements. (As well as the trickle of sites ripping your content.)

The seed notes say OpenGL-based, so why swap the synonym with something not used in industry?