High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As is expected with any Apple product, the box is simple and elegant. The packaging assures that the iPad is the center attraction -- when you pull the lid off, it's all iPad.

Removing the iPad reveals the manual underneath, and lifting that out gives access to the USB cable and wall charger. Setup is quick, easy and simple. The iPad needs to be activated through iTunes, a very fast process that allows you to sync photos, videos, music and existing iPhone/iPod touch applications you might already have on your desktop.

The all aluminum back of the Wi-Fi model looks great (I always preferred that look), but if the first-gen iPhone is any indication, you'll probably want a case for this investment before it gets scratched up. Upon booting the App Store, users are immediately asked if they want to download the iBooks application. It installs quickly over Wi-Fi and works well with a clean interface and very responsive touch controls.

Probably the best thing for a touch typist like myself: compatibility with any Bluetooth keyboard. I could totally see myself getting some work done with this thing, now that I can actually type fast and accurately. The soft keyboard works well enough, but because you can't rest your fingers on the screen, you're forced to sort of hunt and peck. Maybe this will improve over time.

But with a Bluetooth keyboard, you can tab through inputs on a page, use an arrow key to navigate, cut copy and paste with the standard keyboard shortcuts, and highlight text by holding shift. Very helpful. And it works across the system, so I can quickly turn to my keyboard if I want to do something simple like type in my e-mail address on a form.

The orientation lock is also very welcome addition. Laying the device flat on your lap can cause problems, so you'll probably be using this feature a lot. When the screen orientation is locked, an icon is displayed in the top right corner.

Also, when using an external keyboard the iPhone OS autocorrect remains in place, so common typos are still rectified. Stay tuned for a more in-depth first look ahead of our official review in the coming days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Nice view---damn glossy screen--what no matt option

Actually my MBP has a glossy screen--LUV IT
  • Reply 2 of 58
    lukaslukas Posts: 11member
    wow it actually looks like a small camera on this one pic..but i guess its just the ambient light sensor..

gotta wait till the end of april till its available in germany..but i was getting the 3g version anyways..
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Haven't seen such a beauty since I first saw a MessagePad 2000. Can't wait to see one in person soon.

Newton walkthrough, for anyone interested :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHelCE9QAg&feature=fvw

"Lunch with bob." ;-P
  • Reply 4 of 58
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Yes the screen is reflective.

Yes one requires to connect to iTunes on a computer to use the device.

Notice the packaging is super duty and also the glue on the circuit board is extra strength. (from another article)

Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?

Should we take more care than normal with the device?

Just saying, any opinions from purchasers?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Yes the screen is reflective.

Yes one requires to connect to iTunes on a computer to use the device.

Notice the packaging is super duty and also the glue on the circuit board is extra strength. (from another article)

Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?

Should we take more care than normal with the device?

Just saying, any opinions from purchasers?

More FUD. Really, what's your deal?
  • Reply 6 of 58
    imoiimoi Posts: 15member
    The photos are of high quality, not the unboxing as the title one lead one to understand
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Nice view---damn glossy screen--what no matt option

Actually my MBP has a glossy screen--LUV IT

The Mirror Free app will rock once again.

I hear an iPad version is in development. Mirror HD.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    As I wait for my iPad 64gb/3g, I ended up buying a 64gb/WiFi for my nephew's graduation present.

It's certainly an interesting enough device, and the apps that's he's loaded work/look nice, but... It's still difficult to get too excited at this point.

One thing that I found very interesting is that Hyundai will be including an iPad/16gb preloaded with a 300 page owner's manual with their 2011 Equus model.

I wonder how many other companies will follow their lead in this area.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Do Want!

No release date for the WiFi+3G in Japan yet <- will mention in every post until they do
  • Reply 10 of 58
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    One detail I noticed was the home button seems positioned slightly too low. It's closer to the bottom of the unit, and when inside the Apple case it's right against the edge - in fact slightly below depending on how you insert the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Best to ignoreand not answer or respond
  • Reply 12 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

The trolls are running out of ideas. It's absolutely hilarious. It's a coping system for envy.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    lwslws Posts: 9member
    http://images.appleinsider.com/ipad_...nboxing-32.jpg

That totally looks like a brightness sensor right in the middle of the home button itself
  • Reply 14 of 58
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    I wish they'd announce dates for elsewhere already, it'd be nice to know!
  • Reply 15 of 58
    I'd kill for a flickr link to use one of those for an iPad backdrop. 1024x768 Please?
  • Reply 16 of 58
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lws View Post

That totally looks like a brightness sensor right in the middle of the home button itself

-Same thought here. Anybody have an idea?

-On another note, no special optics-grade cleaning cloth included?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:

It was a honest question.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The trolls are running out of ideas. It's absolutely hilarious. It's a coping system for envy.

It was a legitimate question.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lws View Post

I don't think it is because it doesn't show on the other picture of the Home button. It might have just be some reflection that crept in. It makes no sense having the ALS in the Home button especially when it's at the top where people think the camera is.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down t

He brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.