High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPad

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 58
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Not to hijack the thread but.



    Now that the iPad i finally released, maybe we could see some other upgrades..

    Next Tuesday? Probably not.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?



    No it can't be. What it is is that Apple realises a device like this will be EXPOSED to more shock than a laptop by it's very handheld nature.



    It's a little thing you may have heard of called Physics which Apple understands. The iPhone is small therefore the shock is distributed relatively evenly and therefore doesn't break as readily. The iPad however is large so the shock can tend to localise itself to certain parts of the device therefore more readily able to break. A laptop however is more heavier and has a separate screen so there are multiple hit points which, with the added weight in a laptop, means there are more places to break. An iMac is even larger and weighs even more... A ship is much larger as well and more hit points. A planet... blah blah blah I guess you can get the picture now.



    It's not about vulnerability it's all about the user and Apple is just doing what every company should... protect users from themselves.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post


    Not to hijack the thread but.



    Now that the iPad i finally released, maybe we could see some other upgrades..

    Next Tuesday? Probably not.





    Steve Jobs: "You want it when?"
  • Reply 24 of 58
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post


    I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down t

    He brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.





    How is the screen? Does the glass seem thick? Knock on it a few times, is it solid or thin?



    Does it seem to bend in the middle if you press it?



    Thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post


    I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down the brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.



    Good to see you're enjoying your iPad. It's all over the net today. 16GB does seem too small as a starting point memory wise. Have you tried using the SD card feature, does it display files in the way we're accustomed to - I heard it uses a lot of coverflow. Also, how do you get your documents onto the iPad in the first place?



    What apps have you got? Would be good to hear more from the guys who've managed to get theirs.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    More FUD. Really, what's your deal?



    His deal is he happened to register on the exact same date another user who got banned yesterday. I.E. He's actually the same guy, and should IMO be banned, like his other account has been.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoi View Post


    The photos are of high quality, not the unboxing as the title one lead one to understand



    Yet another multiple account from you. The clue is when you used the word "moi" yesterday or today in one of your posts. Then you went a registered the username: "iMoi".



    Apple Insider needs a better method of dealing with this clear apparent issue.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,750member
    Not an unpacking story sorry if off topic! I have found one small glitch Apple need to fix. iPhoto and Aperture can read and play the Canon camera .avi movies perfectly. However, import your album of photos that include some Canon movies and they don't appear, what's more there is no error or warning. I fixed this manually by opening one in Quick Time Player and exporting as .M4V file and replaced it in Aperture . Sure enough the .M4V movie appears in the iPad's Photos and plays fine. This needs to be addressed in iTunes I suspect so that the conversion is done seamlessly during import - perhaps with some options and feedback messages. I have hundreds of short movies as I am sure so do many others. I suspect Apple will fix this once they see this in action. Apple have always pushed Canon cameras so I am surprised this was missed..
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    As I wait for my iPad 64gb/3g, I ended up buying a 64gb/WiFi for my nephew's graduation present.



    It's certainly an interesting enough device, and the apps that's he's loaded work/look nice, but... It's still difficult to get too excited at this point.



    One thing that I found very interesting is that Hyundai will be including an iPad/16gb preloaded with a 300 page owner's manual with their 2011 Equus model.



    I wonder how many other companies will follow their lead in this area.



    Toyota started to do that..but they had to put the brakes on that idea.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    His deal is he happened to register on the exact same date another user who got banned yesterday. I.E. He's actually the same guy, and should IMO be banned, like his other account has been.



    It all comes out in the wash, Ireland. It all comes out in the wash . . .
  • Reply 31 of 58
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post


    Good to see you're enjoying your iPad. It's all over the net today. 16GB does seem too small as a starting point memory wise. Have you tried using the SD card feature, does it display files in the way we're accustomed to - I heard it uses a lot of coverflow. Also, how do you get your documents onto the iPad in the first place?



    What apps have you got? Would be good to hear more from the guys who've managed to get theirs.



    I'm loving mine so far. Still working through the typing interface. Right now I'm pecking at it with two fingers, not too bad. The goodreader app for iPad is outstanding. Listened to baseball audio backgrounded in safari from the MLB app while transferring my documents over into goodreader from MobileMe. Streamed video from netflix and abc.com. Plants vs zombies has some great graphics. Facebook doesn't have an updated iPad app. I use issh to remote into my unix/Linux systems, it's updated for iPad.



    Anyone try out the rdp/vnc client apps? I tried my iPhone rdp lite client out and it wasn't functional enough for me.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Yet another multiple account from you. The clue is when you used the word "moi" yesterday or today in one of your posts. Then you went a registered the username: "iMoi".



    Apple Insider needs a better method of dealing with this clear apparent issue.



    It's so obvious.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    As is expected with any Apple product, the box is simple and elegant.









    Classic gadget porn. I actually had to go to my room to look at these pictures in private.... J/k of course. That is one very nice looking piece of kit though. Hope it will make it overseas soon.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    It was a honest question.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    Notice the packaging is super duty and also the glue on the circuit board is extra strength. (from another article)



    Completely unrelated to this unboxing thread.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?



    Random and unrelated again.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    Should we take more care than normal with the device?



    Why are you here, really? Don't answer cause the answer is you're here to distract.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    How is the screen? Does the glass seem thick? Knock on it a few times, is it solid or thin?



    Does it seem to bend in the middle if you press it?



    Thanks.



    It's glass, like your skull.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    Yes the screen is reflective.



    Yes one requires to connect to iTunes on a computer to use the device.





    Notice the packaging is super duty and also the glue on the circuit board is extra strength. (from another article)



    Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?



    Should we take more care than normal with the device?



    Just saying, any opinions from purchasers?



    I think we all know this isn't an actual concern of yours. It's just more fluff because you're bitter that a previous account of yours was banned.



    You, masquerading as a "concerned consumer!" LOL!!



    "Should we take more care than normal with the device?" Priceless!
  • Reply 37 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    It's so obvious.



    Totally. Do they even check IP addresses anymore?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Totally. Do they even check IP addresses anymore?



    They eventually get around to doing that. Problem is, AI has been flooded with so many alt accounts that it's difficult to keep track. And if the troll in question was clever enough to use a different IP (different computer, different network, etc) then it becomes even more difficult. It's then a matter of banning based on spotting the troll's modus operandi, which can be a bit of a chore.



    It's alright, though. The report button is still there.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    These shallow DOF photos are pretty but they do suggest the camera is front focussing a little.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Not an unpacking story sorry if off topic! I have found one small glitch Apple need to fix. iPhoto and Aperture can read and play the Canon camera .avi movies perfectly. However, import your album of photos that include some Canon movies and they don't appear, what's more there is no error or warning. I fixed this manually by opening one in Quick Time Player and exporting as .M4V file and replaced it in Aperture . Sure enough the .M4V movie appears in the iPad's Photos and plays fine. This needs to be addressed in iTunes I suspect so that the conversion is done seamlessly during import - perhaps with some options and feedback messages. I have hundreds of short movies as I am sure so do many others. I suspect Apple will fix this once they see this in action. Apple have always pushed Canon cameras so I am surprised this was missed..



    I've had a problem similar to this where I couldn't move .MOV movies from my Panasonic camera to my iPhone (through iTunes). I hope Apple do sort this out, because it would be a hassle converting all my videos just to play them on another device.



    To veblen, are you saying there's now backgrounding for non-core apps? Finally!
Sign In or Register to comment.