Walmart to sell Apple's 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Walmart has revealed that it will begin selling the 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 this week, more than $100 off of Apple's $199 suggested retail price.

Starting Tuesday, the lower capacity iPhone 3GS will cost roughly the same amount as Apple's 8GB iPhone 3G. Earlier Monday, a new rumor suggested Apple could be discontinuing the iPhone 3G, which was originally released in 2008.

According to CNNMoney, the new deal from Walmart still requires a two-year contract with carrier AT&T. The U.S. price reduction comes in advance of Memorial Day weekend.

"It is our commitment to always lead on price," said Mehrdad Akbar, senior category director for Walmart.

The move comes less than two weeks before Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation handset, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs delivers the opening keynote for the annual Worldwide Developers Conference on June 7.

The price reduction could be permanent. One analyst said Monday they believe Apple will formally reduce the price of the iPhone 3GS to $99 once the new model is released. Last year, after the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple reduced the price of the 8GB iPhone 3G to $99.

The partnership between Apple and Walmart started in 2005 when the retailer began a pilot program selling Apple's short-lived HP-branded 20GB iPod. Over time, the nation's largest retail chain began carrying Apple's full line of iPods, and in 2008 some of its stores began selling the iPhone 3G. Recently, company officials said they hope to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    Well this pretty much confirms that the 3G is now defunct
  • Reply 2 of 47
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    That's one way to clear inventory. Give Walmart a good price for a couple weeks before the new iPhone comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Other than the timing, this was probably to be expected.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Best Buy has been giving away the 3G for free with 2 year contract for the last two weeks...

so this was to be expected...good for Walmart to get in on the fun...hey what's next 7-Eleven's?

oh well...more the merrier...
  • Reply 5 of 47
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Not sure how it is news.

It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    And AT&T settled the class action suit. Now are legally required to unlock their phones after a period of time (10 months in most cases).... Except the iPhone
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Well That just makes the 16 GB 3GS the low end in the new lineup as would be expected. It also makes it fairly certain that new iPhones arrive next week.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Not sure how it is news.

It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.

AI must be getting paid to promote the product.

Any sensible post would be more along the lines of "$97 + $1,920 minimum contract."
  • Reply 9 of 47
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Most people will want the 4G when it comes out. So once it comes out the 3GS (8gb) will be

almost an antique. Apple most have inventory it wants to clear out.

I would call this event normal.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quad View Post

Well this pretty much confirms that the 3G is now defunct

And, it pretty much confirms that Mr. K's speculation in the previous thread was correct!
  • Reply 11 of 47
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Any sensible post would be more along the lines of "$97 + $1,920 minimum contract."

What about smartphone contracts do you have issues with exactly? You can pay for your BB, or your Android pretty much under the same terms give or take a couple of hundred. Geez - whiners, you can't please them, and they simply won't go away and mumble incoherently off in a corner someplace where the music drowns them out.

• Reply 12 of 47
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

Quote:

Not sure how it is news.

Seriously stop. Or I'll call in Cesar Cupertino - the Geek Whisperer:

"but 2 year..*TSSSSST!* ...contract *TSSSSST!* (grumbles under breath)*TSSSST!* (sits quietly at desk waiting for treat)"

Yeah. Geek Whisperer.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

What about smartphone contracts do you have issues with exactly?

Maybe the fact that I haven't had a contract with T-Mobile for over 4 years and the plan with unlimited SMS and data is much cheaper than ATT?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Yeah, but the contract is the contract is the contract. It's the same in all cases because the cell carriers basically collude on prices therefore it's irrelevant to the calculation.

I find that once you've been duped or forced into getting any contract, that the only sensible (and frugal) thing to do is to pay the full cost of any upgrade phones up-front. That way, once the original contract is over you are free. Since all the contracts are essentially the same, there isn't really a reason to move to a different carrier and you are then just paying month-to-month and paying for all your hardware as you need it.

The "deal" you get on the purchase price of the hardware isn't actually a deal at all.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Not sure how it is news.

I guess it's news because...

"Walmart has revealed that it will begin selling the 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 this week, more than $100 off of Apple's $199 suggested retail price."
  • Reply 16 of 47
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, but the contract is the contract is the contract. It's the same in all cases because the cell carriers basically collude on prices therefore it's irrelevant to the calculation.

I find that once you've been duped or forced into getting any contract, that the only sensible (and frugal) thing to do is to pay the full cost of any upgrade phones up-front. That way, once the original contract is over you are free. Since all the contracts are essentially the same, there isn't really a reason to move to a different carrier and you are then just paying month-to-month and paying for all your hardware as you need it.

The "deal" you get on the purchase price of the hardware isn't actually a deal at all.

The problem is, AT&T won?t reduce your monthly cost just because you provide your own phone. You keep paying forever! (So I?m going to get a new subsidized iPhone and get some value back!) Of course, you can avoid a contract by not getting a phone, but your cost is the same with or without the contract: as you say, there?s little reason to change carriers, so a contract isn?t that harmful.

Anyway... this report raises my hopes for a $299 64 GB iPhone! I need SPACE!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    This is great news! Reducing the price of the iPhone 3Gs will likely help spur sales, but reducing the monthly fees is essential to gain a larger user base. Maybe if Verizon and Sprint are permitted to sell the iPhone, then we will see competition concerning monthly fees...
  • Reply 18 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    So much for getting a few bucks from my 3GS when the 4th gen iPhone ships next week...
  • Reply 19 of 47
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Yeah, at this point I'd rather pay $500 for an unlocked iPhone and pay $40 a month (including data). Oh wait, that's what I already pay with my iPhone on T-Mobile
  • Reply 20 of 47
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

So much for getting a few bucks from my 3GS when the 4th gen iPhone ships next week...

Well two things, one being it will not ship next week considering the keynote is two weeks from now. Second, you should still be able to get at least 250 bucks for your 3GS, depending on the condition.