Apple quietly includes malware prevention update in Mac OS X 10.6.4

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple silently updated its Snow Leopard malware protection in this week's Mac OS X 10.6.4 update, targeting a Trojan that disguises itself as iPhoto.

Though the new protection wasn't specifically listed in any of Apple's documentation accompanying Mac OS X 10.6.4, security firm Sophos discovered the update in the XProtect.plist file, which contains signatures of potential Mac threats. The new threat, dubbed HellRTS by Apple, has been distributed by hackers since April in the form of iPhoto.

Referred to as OSX/Pinhead-B by Sophos, the Trojan monitors browser activity unbeknownst to Mac users. It also makes a machine remotely accessible to the attacker, who can take complete control of the computer.

"If you did get infected by this malware then hackers would be able to send spam email from your Mac, take screenshots of what you are doing, access your files and clipboard and much more," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant with Sophos.

Cluley took a negative response to Apple's secrecy, suggesting that the Cupertino, Calif., company should instead make note that the latest update to Snow Leopard helps to thwart a potentially dangerous Trojan.

"You have to wonder whether their keeping quiet about an anti-malware security update like this was for marketing reasons," he wrote on the company's blog.

Last September, Cluley also made note that users upgrading to Snow Leopard would see their version of Flash for Mac downgraded to an older, less secure version. Apple addressed the issue with an update a week later.

Released last August, Snow Leopard came with a built-in antimalware feature. While the previous version of Mac OS X, Leopard, flagged Internet downloads with metadata that alerted users when downloading files from the Web, Snow Leopard added an additional warning when disk images containing known malware installers are opened.

Apple released its latest update for Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.4, on Tuesday. The security and maintenance update fixed issues that could cause a Mac keyboard or trackpad to become responsive, and also resolved a problem that could prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    AppleInsider continues to used the word "quietly". It doesn't fit.

They can't do anything quietly with you guys reporting everything they do. Here, I'll rewrite the title for you:

Quote:

Apple includes malware prevention update in Mac OS X 10.6.4

• Reply 2 of 58
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    So was this patched into a torrent version of iPhoto?

I don't get it..
  • Reply 3 of 58
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They can't do anything quietly with you guys reporting everything they do. Here, I'll rewrite the title for you:

they try to give off this idea that Apple just does all their stuff silently like a cool person would do. Like "hey, no biggie, I only prevented malware. Here you go. Thats how I do"
  • Reply 4 of 58
    I have been using virus/malware protection for about a year now on my Apple computers for that very reason, nothing will stay immune form this junk for long.

I am running a version from ESET NOD32, it's amazingly easy on system resources, we have also been testing it on two segregated OS X servers and it's been bullet proof for 6 months now, there is also a remote manager that can manage installations across your complete network PC's & Mac's

It's worth check it out just the same, there is a free public beta open right now.

Code:

http://www.eset.com/mac

• Reply 5 of 58
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

they try to give off this idea that Apple just does all their stuff silently like a cool person would do. Like "hey, no biggie, I only prevented malware. Here you go. Thats how I do"

Call a press conference at Moscone Center and announce "thank-you all for coming! First some updates - in spite of our continued growth in the marketplace the incidence of virus infection and general malware incursions has stayed relatively flat. We are justly proud of that fact. However, we have patched a potential malware threat in our OS, and to satisfy our friends at Sophos we are giving you this opportunity to be among the first to enjoy the fruits of our labor and openness. By the way, in related news, one of the Apple Campus security guards picked up a drunk who was taking a piss on one of our shrubs, and we remanded him to the proper authorities. We have also developed a program for our roving engineers to have their prototype devices hermetically tethered to their bodies when out drinking. We feel this is the only responsible way to help our journalist friends avoid the obvious temptation to obtain and abuse our devices. Thanks for coming!"

• Reply 6 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

They can't do anything quietly with you guys reporting everything they do.

"Quietly" is an adverb modifying the action that Apple did (including the update), not AppleInsider's action of reporting.

Apple indeed acted quiet about the matter. It is AppleInsider who did not.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I have been using virus/malware protection for about a year now on my Apple computers for that very reason, nothing will stay immune form this junk for long.

I am running a version from ESET NOD32, it's amazingly easy on system resources, we have also been testing it on two segregated OS X servers and it's been bullet proof for 6 months now, there is also a remote manager that can manage installations across your complete network PC's & Mac's

It's worth check it out just the same, there is a free public beta open right now.

Code:

I used an antivirus when I first switched to Mac from Windows years back. After a years or so of no problems I decided that it is not worth it and removed it. You don't need virus/malware protection on Mac if you actually buy your software and not get them through torrents.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I used an antivirus when I first switched to Mac from Windows years back. After a years or so of no problems I decided that it is not worth it and removed it. You don't need virus/malware protection on Mac if you actually buy your software and not get them through torrents.

The most secure way to use a computer is to not be connected to the Internet. Otherwise, anything is possible.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I love the last name of the Sophos guy: Cluley.

Not to be confused with his evil hacker twin, Clueless.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    [I]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

I don't get it..

If one reads that article too fast, the conclusion would be - the good old days party is over, there are viruses on Mac...

Then I read Comments, and saw this:

So, if I understood this correctly - Apple is ••• protecting ••• those who download iPhoto Application from Torrent, which is obviously Pirated Apple Product! How nice of Apple! In that case, of course they wouldn't want to mention that, and thus promote Pirated Products that include Apple's own Products!

As to:

" security firm Sophos discovered the update in the XProtect.plist file"

and

"You have to wonder whether their keeping quiet about an anti-malware security update like this was for marketing reasons," he wrote on the company's blog."

I wonder if they are truly "wondering", or opining loud enough to get themselves into the news for extra pr...

So, maybe the Article's Title should be:

Apple's Anti-Virus for Pirated Software?

or

Apple's Anti-Virus for Pirated Software?

Peace of Mind for those who steal software!

Mac OS - a safe way to download stolen software!

!?!?!?!?

Of course, I am only basing all that on that Q:

Either way, we can all wonder what and why Apple does! If someday Apple feels the need to get more vocal about viruses, they will... Till then, the 3rd party Anti Virus Software Makers will make as much noise as they can, so to sell their products! I feel that, if Apple wanted us to buy those products, they'd sell them, or endorse them aloud, as a hint for us to buy them! Until then, I think we can feel safe, as long as we don't open the attachments from unknown senders, etc..., or download stuff from questionable sites...
  • Reply 11 of 58
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Code:

It was just a matter of time before Apple has to worry and start patching for malware.

The more market share they gain and the more headlines and buzz they get the more the probabability is that malware will start to be directed at Apple products.......
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Its ironic that announcing this malware prevention is letting the Trojan makers to work around the patch by changing their binary signatures making the malware prevention useless.

Sometimes Apple want to be hush-hush about things but technews spread it like wildfire.

At least Anti-virus/malware for Macs is finally making some business.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Good to know apple is not ignoring the threats to their platform. Let's hope malware continues to be a virtual non issue for us mac users.

On a side not I head WinMo7 already has some malware apps for it. I think Android is next in line.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    So it thwarts the malware, but does it remove the malware should one already have it on their system? How would I know (short of spam email sent from my email account) that I'd actually been infected and should do something about it?
  • Reply 15 of 58
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

It was just a matter of time before Apple has to worry and start patching for malware.

The more market share they gain and the more headlines and buzz they get the more the probabability is that malware will start to be directed at Apple products.......

I don't know that this is necessarily true. We've been hearing about how OSX is on the verge of becoming vulnerable for more than ten years now. Even so, thus far the only "malware" that's occurred for OSX are trojans, which are 100% social engineering exploits. If someone is willing to install pirated software on their Mac, then Apple isn't under any obligation to protect them. I'm surprised they even bothered in this case.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

So it thwarts the malware, but does it remove the malware should one already have it on their system? How would I know (short of spam email sent from my email account) that I'd actually been infected and should do something about it?

If you aren't installing pirated software then you have no worries.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    The best malware protection is common sense. Here's this PDF thingie from UPS saying I have a new package. Let me open it to see if I did order it.

LIke condoms, nothing is 100% however.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

The best malware protection is common sense.

That used to be the case five years ago, however common sense is not enough today. Why? Drive-by infections when sites hosted by reputable companies get compromised.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20000898-245.html
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:

Like it. Classy.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Apple often does things quietly. I remember reading "Apple quietly reinstates swimwear iPhone application" somewhere. In fact I have read it over and over again.

The good news in the article is:

"Apple released its latest update for Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.4, on Tuesday. The security and maintenance update fixed issues that could cause a Mac keyboard or trackpad to become responsive."

There's nothing worse than a responsive input device.