Apple quietly includes malware prevention update in Mac OS X 10.6.4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I have been using virus/malware protection for about a year now on my Apple computers for that very reason, nothing will stay immune form this junk for long.

I am running a version from ESET NOD32, it's amazingly easy on system resources, we have also been testing it on two segregated OS X servers and it's been bullet proof for 6 months now, there is also a remote manager that can manage installations across your complete network PC's & Mac's

It's worth check it out just the same, there is a free public beta open right now.

Code:

http://www.eset.com/mac

And in that year, did it catch anything?

The only malware ever found for Macs was included with illegal content in the form of a trojan. Nothing close to a self-installing virus that you need special protection for. Common sense is good enough until things start spreading and automatically installing. You don't have to waste your money until you hear such a headline.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't know that this is necessarily true. We've been hearing about how OSX is on the verge of becoming vulnerable for more than ten years now. Even so, thus far the only "malware" that's occurred for OSX are trojans, which are 100% social engineering exploits. If someone is willing to install pirated software on their Mac, then Apple isn't under any obligation to protect them. I'm surprised they even bothered in this case.

I agree with you for the most part. But Apple has never had the market share they do now. The Security(hackers) convention that took place a couple of months ago the Mac was very easily compromised. It seems to be getting easier for them to break Safari on a Mac. The social engineering part is getting easier for them for them. It is just as matter of time before Apple product will have to have malware protection running on them fulltime. this might be a few more years away but it will happen. Once the hackers or what ever you want to call them direct their attention to Apple product they will be compromised.

The technology to do so already exists. It just has not been profitable and the target audience has not been latge enough but that will change..... it is just a matter of time.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

AppleInsider continues to used the word "quietly". It doesn't fit.

They can't do anything quietly with you guys reporting everything they do. Here, I'll rewrite the title for you:

Just because one is quiet doesn't mean they aren't heard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player;1656099It's worth check it out just the same, there is a free public beta open right now.

[CODE

http://www.eset.com/mac[/CODE]

Best to use the URL markup than the CODE markup, assuming you want users to actually click on the link you provided.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

If you aren't installing pirated software then you have no worries.

If you never installed pirated software you would have no worries about getting a virus/trojan from pirated software but there are many other vectors that can potentially harm you via the Internet. The whole purpose of hacking is to attempt identity theft, and pirated software is just one method. There are a multitude of others. There have even been cases where software disturbed by the publisher has been infected. No worries? I don't think I would go along with that.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

The only malware ever found for Macs was included with illegal content in the form of a trojan. Nothing close to a self-installing virus that you need special protection for. Common sense is good enough until things start spreading and automatically installing. You don't have to waste your money until you hear such a headline.

I agree about the common sense part...but when does everyone use common sense?

Do you still have car insurance even though you have never had an auto accident?

You are correct there is not a malware that I know of that will auto install on a Mac.

EDIT: I have also had anti virus software running on my Win 7 PC and it has never found a virus.......
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:

I have been using virus/malware protection for about a year now on my Apple computers for that very reason, nothing will stay immune form this junk for long.

I am running a version from ESET NOD32, it's amazingly easy on system resources, we have also been testing it on two segregated OS X servers and it's been bullet proof for 6 months now, there is also a remote manager that can manage installations across your complete network PC's & Mac's

It's worth check it out just the same, there is a free public beta open right now.

Code:

http://www.eset.com/mac

Right now there's hardly a need for anti-malware software for the sort of folks who follow these sites—especially if they don't download illegal software (or even if they do, they're probably in good shape as long as they exercise due diligence). There's not really a need for near-computer-illiterate OS X users to use anti-malware as the vectors used for malicious software to date have generally been along the lines of illegal software sites. When a real threat does come along (and none have since 10.0) you can rest assured that it will be plastered all over the internet.

That said, Nod32 makes phenomenal security software for Windows (I've never bothered with their Mac software because it is useless to me), and one of its greatest traits is how resource friendly it is. I suppose I'd turn to them if I needed something reliable to check for Windows viruses in files.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

It has only been catching potentially dangerous files for Windows, however the company which I work for has made the choice to move all mission critical applications over to OS X Server after we had preformed a security & cost analysis of our implementation of Windows Server, it was not fiscally responsible to keep Windows in the loop any-longer with regard security, maintenance related to security costs & exploits.

We have significantly added to our OS X install base, to the point if it's catching Windows only stuff for now great, and the day it catches something for OS X, wonderful.

Small price to pay to have chance knocked down a few percentage points in my opinion.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:

It has only been catching potentially dangerous files for Windows, however the company which I work for has made the choice to move all mission critical applications over to OS X Server after we had preformed a security & cost analysis of our implementation of Windows Server, it was not fiscally responsible to keep Windows in the loop any-longer with regard security, maintenance related to security costs & exploits.

We have significantly added to our OS X install base, to the point if it's catching Windows only stuff for now great, and the day it catches something for OS X, wonderful.

Small price to pay to have chance knocked down a few percentage points in my opinion.

Very well said..... also what malware/virus definitions are they running on the Mac side? Where does it get the info from? How do they know they have the most updated threat info if the threat is not detected or publicised?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with you for the most part. But Apple has never had the market share they do now. The Security(hackers) convention that took place a couple of months ago the Mac was very easily compromised. It seems to be getting easier for them to break Safari on a Mac. The social engineering part is getting easier for them for them. It is just as matter of time before Apple product will have to have malware protection running on them fulltime. this might be a few more years away but it will happen. Once the hackers or what ever you want to call them direct their attention to Apple product they will be compromised.

The technology to do so already exists. It just has not been profitable and the target audience has not been latge enough but that will change..... it is just a matter of time.

With this line of thought - for the following reasons:

While you have literally billions of Windows PCs in use you also have millions of Apple hardware in use as well. It is not protection via obscurity that is at work here - it is the nature of the mach kernel and the OS built around it. There are enough Macs out there to entice a hacker trying to build a bot army. But They are largely unsuccessful.

If you go back to the pre-OSX days you find that the Apple platform easily had as many virus, hacks and trojan issues as Windows did - in fact didn't Apple offer a copy of Norton's antivirus when you bought a machine? With the introduction of OSX the incident of virus incursion declined dramatically.

The exploits you see demonstrated at the hacking conference are not "same-day" exploits - they are exploits that have been developed over the preceeding year or two and trotted out at ensuing hacking conferences to win the prizes. And the vulnerabilities are generally in the open-source sections of code that Apple uses. So when Apple patches those it goes out to the open source community as well.

I do tend to agree with you however that as more "less cautious" or naive users start using Macs, there will probably be an increase in social hacking like this trojan - but I am OK with torrenters absorbing the risk in my place.

Remember, hacking is, by it's very nature a "low-hanging fruit" effort. And harkers tend to be a little ont he lazy side. No one goes after the hardened targets if there are soft targets with easy shot. Now (if) once Microsoft sandboxes their OS better, the hacking will spread to other platforms as they run out of low-hanging fruit in Windows and are forced to make more effort at hacking. OTOH, it will disqualify a lot of the script-kiddie hackerz who are riding the work of earlier and more aggressive hackers from hacking - but that means that you are left with truely serious and tenacious hackers.

• Reply 30 of 58
    SJ. And Apple are making us MONEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee
  • Reply 31 of 58
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

We've been hearing exactly this for many years now, but to date all of the exploits are theoretical only, which is a long way from them becoming real. Social engineering isn't getting easier. If anything, it's become more difficult with Snow Leopard, which asks before allowing downloaded software to be installed even when a password isn't required. Even a novice user who isn't stealing software has a chance to say no.

Apple hasn't been under the radar for a long time, assuming they ever were. Just listen to how much the beanie-copter crowd hates Apple and everything they stand for. They've had a big target painted on their back for as long as I can remember -- and yet, nobody has been able to create an attack that doesn't require the complete cooperation of the victim. The motivation is there, but the ability apparently is not. The track record is such that I don't expect this to change any time soon, if at all.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you never installed pirated software you would have no worries about getting a virus/trojan from pirated software but there are many other vectors that can potentially harm you via the Internet. The whole purpose of hacking is to attempt identity theft, and pirated software is just one method. There are a multitude of others. There have even been cases where software disturbed by the publisher has been infected. No worries? I don't think I would go along with that.

Sure and I suppose I could worry about getting hit by a meteorite and remain indoors, but I've decided that the risk is too remote to consider.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

With this line of thought - for the following reasons:

While you have literally billions of Windows PCs in use you also have millions of Apple hardware in use as well. It is not protection via obscurity that is at work here - it is the nature of the mach kernel and the OS built around it.

If you go back to the pre-OSX days you find that the Apple platform easily had as many virus, hacks and trojan issues as Windows did - in fact didn't Apple offer a copy of Norton's antivirus when you bought a machine? With the introduction of OSX the incident of virus incursion declined dramatically.

The exploits you see demonstrated at the hacking conference are not "same-day" exploits - they are exploits that have been developed over the preceeding year or two and trotted out at ensuing hacking conferences to win the prizes. And the vulnerabilities are generally in the open-source sections of code that Apple uses. So when Apple patches those it goes out to the open source community as well.

I do tend to agree with you however that as more "less cautious" or naive users start using Macs, there will probably be an increase in social hacking like this trojan - but I am OK with torrenters absorbing the risk in my place.

Remember, hacking is, by it's very nature a "low-hanging fruit" effort. No one goes after the hardened targets if there are soft targets with easy shot. Now (if) once Microsoft sandboxes their OS better, the hacking will spread to other platforms as they run out of low-hanging fruit in Windows and are forced to make more effort at hacking. OTOH, it will disqualify a lot of the script-kiddie hackerz who are riding the work of earlier and more aggressive hackers from hacking - but that means that you are left with truely serious and tenacious hackers.

Very good points..... I like your "low hanging fruit" anaolgy! :-)

But what was compromised at the Sec Convention was not OSX but rather the browser as a front door to the machine. I agree with everyone about OSX being very very secure. But given the techno skills of the people out in the world....it is just a matter of time....... they can hack an iPhone the day the new systems are released. I don't know guys I think if they turn their attention to Macs they will fall....
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

Very well said..... also what malware/virus definitions are they running on the Mac side? Where does it get the info from? How do they know they have the most updated threat info if the threat is not detected or publicised?

Our main screening facility is pulling direct updates for testing from ESET, we generally have them tested in a few hours and released. (Mac & PC) side of things

I could not answer for ESET when it comes to their definitions even for the OS X side of things.

As for your last question, I am unsure weather anyone could ever be sure of staying ahead of the curve when it comes to detection rules & definitions, as I understand when ESET was looking for business partners to give this specific installation a trial period for OS X, they were really pitching their ability to stay ahead of in the wild infections, how they do that I have no idea mate
  • Reply 35 of 58
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    now that apple is getting (supposedly) more hacker attention, then the fbi will be able to try and put some more hackers in jail.

anybody who uses torrent software has been warned about the possibilities. both receiving and sending
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

We've been hearing exactly this for many years now, but to date all of the exploits are theoretical only, which is a long way from them becoming real. Social engineering isn't getting easier. If anything, it's become more difficult with Snow Leopard, which asks before allowing downloaded software to be installed even when a password isn't required. Even a novice user who isn't stealing software has a chance to say no.

Apple hasn't been under the radar for a long time, assuming they ever were. Just listen to how much the beanie-copter crowd hates Apple and everything they stand for. They've had a big target painted on their back for as long as I can remember -- and yet, nobody has been able to create an attack that doesn't require the complete cooperation of the victim. The motivation is there, but the ability apparently is not. The track record is such that I don't expect this to change any time soon, if at all.

Yes we have been hearing of doom and gloom for Apple for a LONG time! They still remain strong! To my knowledge all malware requires co operation from the client. They cannot install on their own no matter what the operating system.

I think OSX is very very secure. But I think eventually they will figure ways to compromise any software that is written.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

Yes we have been hearing of doom and gloom for Apple for a LONG time! They still remain strong! To my knowledge all malware requires co operation from the client. They cannot install on their own no matter what the operating system.

I think OSX is very very secure. But I think eventually they will figure ways to compromise any software that is written.

We've been hearing the "security by obscurity" argument forever now, as if that's the only reason why OSX is a less desirable target than Windows. I think the first hacker who manages to create a successful exploit for OSX is going to get all sorts of kudos from his compatriots in the hacker underground. That's reward enough for them. I'm not saying it will never happen, but I'm not going to worry about it until such time, and I'm certainly not going to starting running antivirus software or otherwise alter my use habits based on such theoretical and currently non-extant threats.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Sure and I suppose I could worry about getting hit by a meteorite and remain indoors, but I've decided that the risk is too remote to consider.

Now you are just being silly. As many as 10 million Americans a year are victims of identity theft. I couldn't find any statistics on people being hit by meteorites.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

[I]

Either way, we can all wonder what and why Apple does! If someday Apple feels the need to get more vocal about viruses, they will... Till then, the 3rd party Anti Virus Software Makers will make as much noise as they can, so to sell their products! I feel that, if Apple wanted us to buy those products, they'd sell them, or endorse them aloud, as a hint for us to buy them! Until then, I think we can feel safe, as long as we don't open the attachments from unknown senders, etc..., or download stuff from questionable sites...

There are a great many times when secrecy is in everyone's best interest. The U.S. is still cracking codes from the Germans and from the Soviet Union, and every time they crack one, they keep it to themselves. The idea is to always be one step ahead of your enemy.

Why would Apple broadcast the fact that they'd killed an existing trojan attacking their systems? If Sophos hadn't reported it, the people who made this malware might simply keep trying to use it, to almost no effect. Now that the secret is out, they will almost certainly modify the program and the whole process starts over again. THANKS SOPHOS!

It's times like this that I wish certain fanatics wouldn't pore over every single like of code in an Apple update. They've almost certainly egged these hackers on.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

It was just a matter of time before Apple has to worry and start patching for malware.

The more market share they gain and the more headlines and buzz they get the more the probabability is that malware will start to be directed at Apple products.......

Yeah, it's gonna suck when the iPhone finally surpasses Android and Windows Mobile in market share, because then Apple will finally have to deal with being a target.