Apple rumored to release iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone today

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor has stated that Apple will release an iPhone software update in the form of iOS 4.0.1 on Thursday, a day before the company has scheduled a press conference to talk about the iPhone 4.

Citing a "reliable source," Greek-language iPhone website iPhone Hellas (via Google Translate) reported on Thursday that iPhone OS 4.0.1 will be released publicly today. The report speculated that, despite the different reported version number, it could actually be the same iOS 4.1 beta seeded to developers on Wednesday.

"The final version of 4.1 will be released much later, probably in September, after several beta versions," they wrote.

Back in 2008, the same website correctly forecast the release of iPhone OS 2.2 10 days in advance.

If the latest rumor is true, the timing is interesting, considering the fact that Apple has scheduled a press conference on its Cupertino, Calif., campus for Friday. Though the company has not revealed the purpose of the event, it is expected to deal with antenna issues experienced by a number of iPhone 4 owners.

The iOS 4.1 beta seeded to developers on Wednesday included, as was expected, a fix for how the software reports bars of signal strength. In the new version, bars more accurately portray signal, and the bars at the low end of the scale are taller, making them easier to read.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    There are APIs and new minor features in the new beta that aren't appropriate for a 4.0.1 release considering they are planned for iOS 4.1. It won't be the beta. But it might have the beta's changes to those key areas.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    This makes no sense. 4.01 is the same as 4.1 but release 4.01 to the public and release the same version naming it 4.1 in beta to devs. So basically the public gets a beta build with possible bugs instead of a gold master version? Who comes up with this tripe?
  • Reply 3 of 50
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

This makes no sense. 4.01 is the same as 4.1 but release 4.01 to the public and release the same version naming it 4.1 in beta to devs. So basically the public gets a beta build with possible bugs instead of a gold master version? Who comes up with this tripe?

Agreed; first the 11" MacBook Air and now this. It's almost as if a monkey is in a backroom making this crap up and feeding it to the press.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    What?

But talking about iOS 4 when will the iPad get it?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

I think it does make sense. 4.01 might just be internal updates to solve hot issues, where 4.1 appears to be more API level updates that us developers must run through, get used to and verify.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I think it does make sense. 4.01 might just be internal updates to solve hot issues, where 4.1 appears to be more API level updates that us developers must run through, get used to and verify.

Exactly.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i hope this addresses some of the dog slow reduce responsiveness of my 2 iphone 3g

wish i could go back to 3.x till i get my new iphone 4's this late fall.

hope hope hope
  • Reply 8 of 50
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

The problem isn't with the concept of a 4.0.1 release just to fix that issue.

The problem is with the concept that they will release a beta that actually IS the 4.1 release (with those APIs you speak of) AS the 4.0.1 bugfix.

Just because the new beta has the updates that will be applied in the 4.0.1 release doesn't mean that the 4.1 beta IS the 4.0.1 release. From an operating system development perspective the entire idea is just stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

The problem isn't with the concept of a 4.0.1 release just to fix that issue.

The problem is with the concept that they will release a beta that actually IS the 4.1 release (with those APIs you speak of) AS the 4.0.1 bugfix.

Just because the new beta has the updates that will be applied in the 4.0.1 release doesn't mean that the 4.1 beta IS the 4.0.1 release. From an operating system development perspective the entire idea is just stupid.

And, the 4.0.1 release may yet even have updates that are not yet rolled into 4.1.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 11 of 50
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    people will stop complaining about holding the phone "wrong" dropping their signal from 5 bars to no service... they will complain about dropping their signal from three bars to no service.

[not to mention the 2 million people who have no idea about the death grip issue who will complain that after the software update "their reception is far worse - they only get two bars where they used to get four".]
  • Reply 12 of 50
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    I really hope this does pan out today. Personally, I'm also hoping for a fix for the proximity sensor issue. I think this is a bigger issue for me than any reception problem.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And, the 4.0.1 release may yet even have updates that are not yet rolled into 4.1.

Hmm..doubt it. I know we ('we' are not Apple) typically backport fixes rather than fixing the older revisions first.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Hmm..doubt it. I know we ('we' are not Apple) typically backport fixes rather than fixing the older revisions first.

well, for a high profile issue like this, it would make more sense to make the changes in the more stable of two branches, which would not be the beta, and then merge it into the less stable later.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

That certainly would make sense. 4.01 equaling 4.1 defeats the whole purpose of version numbering doesn't it?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Is it just me, or could this press event be intended to announce more details about the non-us release of the iphone 4?
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guard1an View Post

Is it just me, or could this press event be intended to announce more details about the non-us release of the iphone 4?

Well, since it's purportedly a press conference, not just a statement, it'll likely end up being about whatever the press ask questions about.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

people will stop complaining about holding the phone "wrong" dropping their signal from 5 bars to no service... they will complain about dropping their signal from three bars to no service.

[not to mention the 2 million people who have no idea about the death grip issue who will complain that after the software update "their reception is far worse - they only get two bars where they used to get four".]

Exactly same thoughts ....
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Exactly same thoughts ....

If there's not a reception fix and only this cosmetic one then Apple will be trying to pass the buck to AT&T.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    Signal strength is losing 20-30 db by applying a death grip. Funny how they "disabled" field test mode