Apple rumored to release iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone today

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if the update comes out today. What I think is more likely is that Jobs announces the update, and then tells us how many they've sold along with high customer satisfaction so we're all to stop whining now.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

For all of you who want to go back to iOS 3.1.3, one of the sites posted a How-To on it.

I know my iPod touch 2G is slower, but I put up with it for the new features - mainly folders and the universal inbox.

But, it sucks the battery life down by half. THAT is why I'm seriously considering going back to iOS 3.

What site is that? I tried like hell to get my 3Gs back to 3.1.3, but I had to purchase a used 3Gs from ebay, which had 4.0 already installed. Even flashing my PC back to the point when I had iTunes 9.1 and had used my 3G phone on 3.1.3 did no good on trying to get my 3Gs to revert back to 3.1.3. Even downloading the 3.1.3 file from the internet sources did no good, as it gave an error message partway through, saying that this version was unavailable anymore to this phone.

Has anyone really tried to revert a 4.0 3GS phone back to 3.1.3, and been successful? If so, please point me to the link that works. Thanks.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Returning to 3.1.3 isn't an option for certain baseband models of the 3GS. A version of instructions

http://www.maclife.com/article/howto...e_iphone_os_40

but not sure if it works with the final release of iOS4, nor if Apple will sign the 3.1.3 firmware.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Returning to 3.1.3 isn't an option for certain baseband models of the 3GS. A version of instructions

http://www.maclife.com/article/howto...e_iphone_os_40

but not sure if it works with the final release of iOS4, nor if Apple will sign the 3.1.3 firmware.

I have used the method you linked to and it works fine. It doesn't touch the baseband at all so you are left with a 3.1.3 iphone with the 4.0 baseband. No biggie as everything works fine.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    llamallama Posts: 102member
  • Reply 46 of 50
    iOS4 out just now....

downloaded and immediately iphone4 indicated a 3 bars....previously 5 bars with 4.0

iphone4 lying flat on my desk.....grip....death grip....does not change bars....still 3....

previously....death grip would cause bars from 5 to 2....

i know it is not scientific....but first impression....
  • Reply 47 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Llama View Post

Psst, check:

http://ios.e-lite.org/

4.0.1 is live.

iPhone 4

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 3G

It's sad that people need the warning, but beware of downloading firmware updates from non-official sources.

If you dislike your iPhone now, think of how much you're going to dislike it if it's bricked.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    If you hover over the links you'll see where they are going...
  • Reply 49 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Llama View Post

If you hover over the links you'll see where they are going...

So? Until it's released by Apple, it's a beta and risky to install.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    It isn't beta, it's 4.01 final.