Google Voice iPhone apps approved by Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Software accessing the Google Voice telephony service began appearing in the iPhone App Store on Sunday, reversing Apple's previous opposition to such applications.

Two Google Voice applications were accepted into the App Store on Sunday: GV Mobile + and GV Connect (iTunes links). Their acceptance marks the first time that Apple has allowed such software since it removed Google Voice apps in July of 2009.

Earlier this month, Sean Kovacs, the developer of GV Mobile +, indicated he had spoken with Apple, and representatives with the company indicated they would approve his software. The change in policy came after Apple published its App Store Review Guidelines for all to see.

Still not listed on the App Store, however, is Google's own official Google Voice application. It was the "non-rejection" of that software last year that caused a controversy and even led to an inquiry from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.

In a letter to the FCC, Apple claimed that it was reviewing the official Google Voice application. The company said it had not outright rejected the software, but was instead considering it. Over a year passed, though, with no word on its official acceptance or rejection.

Google, on the other hand, said in its own letter to the FCC that Apple had outright "rejected" the Google Voice application from the App Store.

Sunday's new applications, however, would suggest that the search giant could once again submit its Google Voice application, and have it accepted into the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Oh, Schmidt is being punished just a little bit, that's all.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I purchased GV Mobile, not once, not even twice, but three times now. Apple really took a crap stance on this one. I guess once Android mobile devices start creeping up so tight that it makes you uncomfortable because of your choice to go with AT&T as the sole carrier for this long leads you to rethink at least some of what you did screwed up.

I think Steve said he didn't want to be rude at All Things Digital, so be nice Steve and approve the official Google Voice App. What is the big fracking deal here?
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a letter to the FCC, Apple claimed that it was reviewing the official Google Voice application. The company said it had not outright rejected the software, but was instead considering it. Over a year passed, though, with no word on its official acceptance or rejection.

Yet another example of Apple playing fast and loose with reality. They should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I think Steve said he didn't want to be rude at All Things Digital, so be nice Steve and approve the official Google Voice App. What is the big fracking deal here?

I believe Google would probably have to re-submitted it since it has been so long. I don?t think google is that interested in an app anyway since they have the mobile optimized website.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    I can't get Google Voice in the capital city of Montana. Imagine that, the capital city of a state can't get an internet service like Google Voice. It is available in some other cities in the state. I just want to get it for using Googles phone service that allows people to make calls from their high speed internet connection.

If this app is approved would it allow the use of Google's calling service when it is available everywhere? If so then the iPod Touch and possibly the iPad can become phones. I don't like to carry around a laptop and I don't want to own a cell phone. Having an iPod capable of making calls occasionally would be helpful.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

I believe Google would probably have to re-submitted it since it has been so long. I don?t think google is that interested in an app anyway since they have the mobile optimized website.

If that App could be on the iPhone with AT&T, they would want it on there. Maybe they put ads in it later but they could not pass this up. At least that is my opinion. You may be correct though. They have really done a better job with mobile apps and probably because of Apple giving them a dry lube job.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Yet another example of Apple playing fast and loose with reality. They should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

Seriously? Get real, they have never been charged, heck the FCC was only investigating and they haven?t done anything in the last year. Apple did nothing wrong - they are under no obligation to do business with anybody.

If nothing has been done in the last year, nothing is going to happen now.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

I worry about this. If they feel the web app is good enough, or if they don't want to bother with more app store submission drama, we will never incoming text notifications!!!

of course, there is always gv mobile or gv connect...
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:

If that App could be on the iPhone with AT&T, they would want it on there. Maybe they put ads in it later but they could not pass this up. At least that is my opinion. You may be correct though.

None of Google?s other Apps have ads in them, they don?t need them in their apps - they have them on their websites anyway. Besides, Google is going to avoid dealing with Apple if they can get away with it - they make money by people using the internet - you don?t need the app store for that.

Google profits already due to the app store.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

None of Google?s other Apps have ads in them, they don?t need them in their apps - they have them on their websites anyway. Besides, Google is going to avoid dealing with Apple if they can get away with it - they make money by people using the internet - you don?t need the app store for that.

You are correct it seems. I checked THE Google App on my iPhone. It seems it is an App that launches mobile apps via the web. So, not exactly a dedicated App but certainly proves your point.

Still, I say they resubmit. Whether Apple approves them, who knows. Backgrounding on text messages would be the ticket!
  • Reply 11 of 46
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I can't get Google Voice in the capital city of Montana. Imagine that, the capital city of a state can't get an internet service like Google Voice. It is available in some other cities in the state. I just want to get it for using Googles phone service that allows people to make calls from their high speed internet connection.

If this app is approved would it allow the use of Google's calling service when it is available everywhere? If so then the iPod Touch and possibly the iPad can become phones. I don't like to carry around a laptop and I don't want to own a cell phone. Having an iPod capable of making calls occasionally would be helpful.

This would only work if they released an app that includes a VOIP client. To date, they have not done this on Android. They did buy a VOIP company recently (Gizmo5?) so it is very likely they will have a VOIP client, but I am guessing it would be released in Android before the iPhone. They fact that Google Talk can now do Google Voice calls does show they are leaning towards client side VOIP.

They Google Voice service and the apps that access it, currently use call back or call pass through, which means the device you are running the app on needs to be able to natively send of receive a phone call. iPods cannot. Once they do VOIP then it is a possibility.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:

You are correct it seems. I checked THE Google App on my iPhone. It seems it is an App that launches mobile apps via the web. So, not exactly a dedicated App but certainly proves your point.

Still, I say they resubmit. Whether Apple approves them, who knows. Backgrounding on text messages would be the ticket!

But like other apps that receive messages, they will use Apple Push Notifications, which in their current incarnation suck ass. Still, you are right, a native GV app that can alert you to incoming SMS or new voicemail would be a good thing.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Apple doesn't steer Google. I guess Jobs finally "gets it" that he can't piss in the tall weeds with a real company that has a lot of power. It's not like picking on Adobe or some developer in the app store.

Glad to see Steve humbled a bit here. He really has been out of line lately.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    I think I'll wait for Google's Google Voice..
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

I think they might still be interested. The only reason they did the webapp was because Apple wouldn't approve the native app. A native app provides benefits that a webapp never can. Of course, having been burned once and with Android becoming successful they might hold a grudge and not bother resubmitting.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

They should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

Someone said a while ago: "That is not the attribute under discussion. It is a different topic entirely."

Which is the stupid one? The quote above, or yours? (It's a trick question.)
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Apple doesn't steer Google. I guess Jobs finally "gets it" that he can't piss in the tall weeds with a real company that has a lot of power. It's not like picking on Adobe or some developer in the app store.

Glad to see Steve humbled a bit here. He really has been out of line lately.

Are you saying Apple's relaxed guidelines are a result of Google's affluence?
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Someone said a while ago: "That is not the attribute under discussion. It is a different topic entirely."

Which is the stupid one? The quote above, or yours? (It's a trick question.)

Your comment is very stupid for many reasons.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Are you saying Apple's relaxed guidelines are result of Google's affluence?

I'm speculating that someone at Apple convinced the ego centric Steve Jobs it would be in the best interests of the company to "play nice" with Google as they are a world power and Apple is, with all due respect, a niche company.

This is just speculation on my part. I was not invited to the last board meeting. But Apple has had a "my way or the hiway" attitude for a while now and it has to stop before the company self destructs.

This may be a sign that cooler heads are prevailing within the company. I certainly hope so.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

You contradicted yourself.