iPhone 4 Retina Display matched by upcoming Sharp smartphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sharp has challenged Apple's smartphone display reign by announcing an Android smartphone with the same resolution and dimensions as the iPhone 4's Retina Display.

The Sharp IS03 will sport a 960 x 640 resolution on its 3.5-inch screen when it launches next month on Japan's KDDI au network, Engadget reports.

The new device will utilize the Sharp-developed Advanced Super View technology to improve the display's viewing angle. ASV is reportedly comparable to the In-Plane Switching technology used in the iPhone 4.

Sharp's new phone will have a 9.6 megapixel autofocus camera and will launch with the older 2.1 version of Android. The handset is currently slated for a Japan-only release.

It has taken Apple's competitors months to catch up to the iPhone 4 display. When the iPhone 4 was announced, it was billed as having "the highest resolution display ever in a phone." According to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, the Retina Display has a resolution that is higher than "the limit of the human retina" at standard viewing levels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Well someone was bound to catch up.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    ...other companies are playing catchup to Apple. I don't think that display resolution on a screen the size of the iPhone's is going to get any higher for the foreseeable future. As time passes this will become the standard, which is fine as that is how technology improves. The thing that matters is what shows up on that screen when the device is turned on.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The 9 megapixel camera sounds impressive. I know nothing about the quality, but it beats Apple's still camera function (especially in the iPod touch, naturally). Apple really should give serious camera quality updates to as many devices as makes sense.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The 9 megapixel camera sounds impressive. I know nothing about the quality, but it beats Apple's still camera function (especially in the iPod touch, naturally). Apple really should give serious camera quality updates to as many devices as makes sense.

Oh for god's sake.

9 mp on a device with the optics of a camera does nothing but produce huge files. When will people stop drooling over meaningless numbers?

I have an amp with an 11 on the volume dial to sell you.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well someone was bound to catch up.

In Japan only, but at what price? And why Android 2.1? What happened to Froyo and flash? Facetime? Inexpensive data plan? Voice and data concurrently? iTunes?

ASV is ASV, different from IPS. So, it's not the retina display, either.

So, what's happening to AppleInsider? Lousy reporting here.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Gotta love competition. Now if we just has some real competition among the phone companies.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh for god's sake.

9 mp on a device with the optics of a camera does nothing but produce huge files. When will people stop drooling over meaningless numbers?

I have an amp with an 11 on the volume dial to sell you.

"it goes to eleven". Love it. one of the best movie lines of all time.

and very poignant on this topic. How good is 9MP on a lens 1/4 the size of a dime?

on the topic of the Sony display. Big deal. anyone can match specs or play the specs game. No one is going to hands down beat an iphone for a while if ever really IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    who cares? it still runs android...

lipstick on a pig.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EggFacts (Eggs-Misc) View Post

if u injeect an egg with non toxic colour thn thchicken which will tak birth will b of the same coloer.

just check it out.

???? what is this

spam?
  • Reply 10 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ok. And what about the OS?
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have a little Nikon 10MP point & shoot, and there's no way the camera is functioning at 10 megapixels, despite the claim and the resulting picture size. It's marketing hype. I compared the images to test images obtained from a 10MP Canon DSLR, and the difference is night & day. The DSLR's lenses were not only brighter (they let more light in), but the images were sharp and clear and detailed.

When I hear claims of 9MP I just don't buy it. With the tiny lenses and microscopic focal lengths in these smartphone cameras, I'm amazed that the iPhone 4's camera looks as good as it does.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    True, someone was bound to catch up. Sharp has a good reputation for keitai (mobile/cell phone) screens in Japan, for what its worth.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    I'm still waiting for the Retina Display MacBook Pro: 2560x1600 13" display, and Mac OS X 10.7 with Resolution Independence.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have a little Nikon 10MP point & shoot, and there's no way the camera is functioning at 10 megapixels, despite the claim and the resulting picture size. It's marketing hype. I compared the images to test images obtained from a 10MP Canon DSLR, and the difference is night & day. The DSLR's lenses were not only brighter (they let more light in), but the images were sharp and clear and detailed.

When I hear claims of 9MP I just don't buy it. With the tiny lenses and microscopic focal lengths in these smartphone cameras, I'm amazed that the iPhone 4's camera looks as good as it does.

Usually there's no reason to disbelieve MP counts. The problem is MP is only a count of the sensor sites. The real problem is that it's not a measure of camera quality, despite popular perception otherwise. MP never tells us about the quality of the lens, the sensor size, dynamic range or processing quality. That sort of information is harder to communicate to consumers, a lot of phone makers usually don't try.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

???? what is this

spam?

Whatever it is, that poster has been purged now. Too many inflammatory comments made in just six posts and fifteen minutes period of time.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    GREAT NEWS for Apple fans! How so? This means that the IPHONE5 will have to be even better.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok. And what about the OS?

FTA:

Quote:

Unfortunately, it's running Android 2.1, but let's be honest: the monster hardware might be enough to overcome that little oversight.

Who cares about how you actually *use* the phone, it's all about those little numbers
  • Reply 17 of 76
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    9MP = marketing nonsense + wasted storage space + extra noise (= lower quality).

Hopefully the camera at least has the iPod?s tap-to-focus/balance, low-light sensor, and HDR. That still won?t make up for the image files being twice as large (and twice as slow to view/transfer/process) for no benefit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

In Japan only, but at what price? And why Android 2.1? What happened to Froyo and flash? Facetime? Inexpensive data plan? Voice and data concurrently? iTunes?

ASV is ASV, different from IPS. So, it's not the retina display, either.

Not just Japan-only... but in November. Even if released on schedule it?s still not out yet.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

GREAT NEWS for Apple fans! How so? This means that the IPHONE5 will have to be even better.

Nope. I just got an iPhone 4 a week and a half ago on a THREE YEAR contract. (Canada)

I made them promise to tell Apple not to make a better one until I can upgrade in 2 years.

So, no iPhone 5 with better quality/features until late 2012.

So there!

• Reply 19 of 76
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Nope. I just got an iPhone 4 a week and a half ago on a THREE YEAR contract. (Canada)

I made them promise to tell Apple not to make a better one until I can upgrade in 2 years.

So, no iPhone 5 with better quality/features until late 2012.

So there!

Well done, as mine is only 2 weeks old.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Will let the companies leap frog, but one of the things wrong with the Android line is that the hardware is not standardized so a company can double the resolution of the retina display but the apps have to be written to take advantage of it (or other improvements)

At least if Apple improves there's, all developers will be able to exploit it.

Can't believe I went to the Apple Store tonight and they're still out of iPhones. Might have to buy an Android...